2021 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

tzenst

12 hours ago, just_fine said:

Receive the interview email from Upenn GCB this week!

Congrats! Wow you've got interviews from lots of top schools, must be hard to choose among them. Could you please share your final decision with us later on?   

Rejected from 3/4 programs I applied to an interviewed at one. Still super grateful for the one I interviewed with.  If I were to not get in, what’s the move? Should I get a masters or post-bacc experience?  I just got my BS  in applied math / minor in CS. 

Hey all! I've really enjoyed the community in this forum. It looks like I'm rejected from 5/6 of the programs I applied to, which is fine, I'm a software engineer I wasn't expecting too much anyways. However, I'm hoping to continue learning and working on comp bio things in my free time. 

I made a Discord for anyone who'd like to join; I'm not super familiar with the app, but so far I've created some channels for talking about career, education, discussing technology and even looking for / proposing side project ideas. I hope to make it a collaborative environment where people can bounce ideas off each other and help each other improve. Please feel free to join and/or invite whoever you feel may be interested, and as always best of luck to everyone.

https://discord.gg/Zqnpugw9Wb

Just had an interview with UCLA medical informatics. Feeling terrible right now.

I was told there were only two professors interested in my application so I had to perform well. (Seems like other people might have multiple interviews, meeting 4 - 5 professors in total). But I guess I did not.

It's actually my second time interviewing with this program. Have no idea how the bar become so high this year.

2 hours ago, InferenceII said:

Just had an interview with UCLA medical informatics. Feeling terrible right now.

I was told there were only two professors interested in my application so I had to perform well. (Seems like other people might have multiple interviews, meeting 4 - 5 professors in total). But I guess I did not.

It's actually my second time interviewing with this program. Have no idea how the bar become so high this year.

Trust me you are great ! we just have to wait.

Hi all! Did anyone interview with UCSD today? If so, how long before the interview did you get the zoom link/interview details? Mine's next Friday but still haven't heard back regarding these details. 

I'm also curious about how long the interview is (for instance, if it's a day long, I'll need to take time off work) if anyone happens to know!

On 1/29/2021 at 6:11 PM, Gir2214 said:

Hi all! Did anyone interview with UCSD today? If so, how long before the interview did you get the zoom link/interview details? Mine's next Friday but still haven't heard back regarding these details. 

I'm also curious about how long the interview is (for instance, if it's a day long, I'll need to take time off work) if anyone happens to know!

Yes, I interviewed with UCSD last Friday. I didn't receive the final interview schedule (who I'd be meeting with and when) until 7pm on Thursday night, but they sent out a rough schedule on Tuesday. It pretty much ran from 9am - 5pm so I'd expect to take the whole day off work. From 9- 11am there were research presentations / info sessions , then from 11-3 you had three, thirty minute one-on-one interviews with faculty. From 3-4 was a closing keynote speaker, and then the space was open to mingle with students and faculty afterward. They used gather.town, but faculty interviews were on individual zooms. Good luck next week! 

1 hour ago, chocolate_waffle said:

Yes, I interviewed with UCSD last Friday. I didn't receive the final interview schedule (who I'd be meeting with and when) until 7pm on Thursday night, but they sent out a rough schedule on Tuesday. It pretty much ran from 9am - 5pm so I'd expect to take the whole day off work. From 9- 11am there were research presentations / info sessions , then from 11-3 you had three, thirty minute one-on-one interviews with faculty. From 3-4 was a closing keynote speaker, and then the space was open to mingle with students and faculty afterward. They used gather.town, but faculty interviews were on individual zooms. Good luck next week! 

Thanks for sharing! Did you meet any students applying to the BMI track in the interview?
I applied in the BMI track. I received another email from POI this week letting me know they hadn't sent out the interview invitation and our interview would be different from the two dates (Jan 29 and Feb 5) as he mentioned in the phone back in December... I think it's kinda weird... and I was wondering if I was waitlisted or it was because I'm an international...

2 hours ago, chocolate_waffle said:

Thank you so much for all this information! I'll definitely be requesting some time off then :D

3 hours ago, InferenceII said:

Thanks for sharing! Did you meet any students applying to the BMI track in the interview?
I applied in the BMI track. I received another email from POI this week letting me know they hadn't sent out the interview invitation and our interview would be different from the two dates (Jan 29 and Feb 5) as he mentioned in the phone back in December... I think it's kinda weird... and I was wondering if I was waitlisted or it was because I'm an international...

I didn't really ask anyone which track they applied to, so I don't know if there were BMI students. But I'm sure its a good sign that your POI is contacting you specifically about the interview dates.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:56 AM, Chip, Potato said:

Anyone heard anything from MIT CSB or MIT Bio yet? It seemed like someone had posted on the results page they had gotten an interview to MIT Bio. Just wasn't sure if anyone else had heard anything.

Probably really late and not useful, but yeah I got an interview to CSB around mid Jan. 

10 minutes ago, sea_cactus said:

People in results section saying Stanford BMI has no funding and only accepts students have secured external funding - is this true? 

I think this is true for international students...American students receive funding from an internal grant, but internationals need outside funding. Which seems a little strange for one of the wealthiest universities in the world...

1 hour ago, ponto_real said:

I think this is true for international students...American students receive funding from an internal grant, but internationals need outside funding. Which seems a little strange for one of the wealthiest universities in the world...

exactly, I reached out to the program coordinator to confirm this and that's why I didn't apply to the program. 

12 minutes ago, ponto_real said:

Yeah unfortunately I didn't quite realize what they meant on the website. Oh well...a waste of $125 I guess...

yea.. as internationals, we always need to make sure of the funding part..