2021 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

tzenst

21 minutes ago, unstoppab said:

I received an interview invite from BIG over an hour ago. Looks like they're slowly sending out invitations.

Does anyone know what % of applicants are invited to interview? And how many are accepted from the interview list?

Did you guys have papers? Are you masters students? I'm trying to figure out why I'm not getting interviews...I'm also Canadian so maybe that works against me ?

20 minutes ago, amory_blaine said:

Did you guys have papers? Are you masters students? I'm trying to figure out why I'm not getting interviews...I'm also Canadian so maybe that works against me ?

Aren't the overall acceptance rates a lot lower for international students? I've also heard some schools send international and domestic students invites separately. 

I received a BS this past May and took this year off to continue doing research & apply to grad schools (taking a year off after UG was huge for me, looking back at this time last year I would not have had nearly as strong research experience or accomplishments to show for them and would have been a much weaker applicant in my opinion). Publication wise, I have 1 third-author paper published, 1 first-author paper under review, and 1 first-author paper in-progress (briefly discussed in SOP but never mentioned in the publication sections of applications). Hope this helps!

Just now, jek4zy said:

Aren't the overall acceptance rates a lot lower for international students? I've also heard some schools send international and domestic students invites separately. 

I received a BS this past May and took this year off to continue doing research & apply to grad schools (taking a year off after UG was huge for me, looking back at this time last year I would not have had nearly as strong research experience or accomplishments to show for them and would have been a much weaker applicant in my opinion). Publication wise, I have 1 third-author paper published, 1 first-author paper under review, and 1 first-author paper in-progress (briefly discussed in SOP but never mentioned in the publication sections of applications). Hope this helps!

You're right, they probably are, but that's why I applied mainly to private schools since they typically have fewer issues with internationals...Berkeley states on their website that they only accept like 1 or 2 internationals a year lol. I wish other schools stated this so I wouldn't waste my time ?.

Edited by amory_blaine

Just now, amory_blaine said:

You're right, they probably are, but that's why I applied mainly to private schools since they typically have fewer issues with internationals...Berkeley states on their website that they only accept like 1 or 2 internationals a year lol. I wish other schools stated this so I wouldn't waste my time ?.

not only public school man, any school with NIH training funding program limit themself to  5 domestic to 1 international students.. 

I know that feeling man trust me. This is my thrid cycle, and I still got rejected. I don't even have the courage to apply schools that I really like 

1 hour ago, Sky_china said:

Got Interview at Tri -I  CBM !! my top choice !!!

Congratulations!! What track did you pick? Do you know if the track you picked matter for interviews? I haven't heard anything from them yet. I hope they're not done sending out invites!

Just now, winterishere2020 said:

Congratulations!! What track did you pick? Do you know if the track you picked matter for interviews? I haven't heard anything from them yet. I hope they're not done sending out invites!

my interest is mainly comparative genomics and gene regulation but I also selected cancer genomics and quatitative system biology I think. 

I am not sure if they are done sending invites, but hope this helps. maybe they are still sending..Good luck buddy !! 

Just now, Sky_china said:

my interest is mainly comparative genomics and gene regulation but I also selected cancer genomics and quatitative system biology I think. 

I am not sure if they are done sending invites, but hope this helps. maybe they are still sending..Good luck buddy !! 

I picked cancer genomics as my first choice and gene regulation as second. I do hope they're going to send out more invites. Good luck with your interview!

1 hour ago, Simaiinox said:

Around today for Harvard BIG last year they had sent many invites, and at least today some people received invites; anyone know if they're done sending invites? ?

More than likely I would assume they’re done. Only reason they would change is cause covid but it doesn’t seem like th at would really impact anything. 

On 12/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, fullofhopes said:

Hi guys, 

I was wondering if anyone knows post-interview acceptance rate for programs in general. Any ideas? 

Hard to say, but pretty high.  In general a few more students are going to be accepted knowing that not all invites are going to say yes.   

2 minutes ago, Crucial BBQ said:

Hard to say, but pretty high.  In general a few more students are going to be accepted knowing that not all invites are going to say yes.   

me getting three interview last time, with no real offer .... crying a bit inside

Hey y'all. Just saw this forum today.

I did biomedical engineering with a CS minor undergrad. Here's what I have currently. 

Tri-I [interview invitation 12/23]

Harvard BIG [interview invitation 12/23]

Georgia Tech Bioinformatics

Emory Biostats

UW Biomedical Health Informatics

JHU Biostats

Happy Holidays!!

10 hours ago, JarJarRuss said:

Hey y'all. Just saw this forum today.

I did biomedical engineering with a CS minor undergrad. Here's what I have currently. 

Tri-I [interview invitation 12/23]

Harvard BIG [interview invitation 12/23]

Georgia Tech Bioinformatics

Emory Biostats

UW Biomedical Health Informatics

JHU Biostats

Happy Holidays!!

Congratulations! By the way, may I ask if you are domestic student? This year, it is so hard to see a international student who got invitation from Harvard BIG.

Edited by Crescendo3883