NSERC PGS D 2021-2022

MarleyBarley

I'm in 202 and didn't get it. I have a 4.0 GPA, was the captain of a design team in undergrad, got a USRA, and a CGSM, but at the time of application I only had 2 conferences, and no peer reviewed work. I also am in a fast-track PHD program so I had no maters thesis, or publications from master's work.

1 minute ago, orapronobis said:

I'm in 202 and didn't get it. I have a 4.0 GPA, was the captain of a design team in undergrad, got a USRA, and a CGSM, but at the time of application I only had 2 conferences, and no peer reviewed work. I also am in a fast-track PHD program so I had no maters thesis, or publications from master's work.

Well we are in the same boat and looks like we had similar profiles! I hope we could see how they evaluate us to know what we are missing other than the MSc thesis. 

31 minutes ago, Methomz said:

Well we are in the same boat and looks like we had similar profiles! I hope we could see how they evaluate us to know what we are missing other than the MSc thesis. 

Yes it looks like we are! I am definitely keen to see the evaluation. Good luck this summer! Hopefully we can both publish some good research and get an award next year.

4 minutes ago, orapronobis said:

Yes it looks like we are! I am definitely keen to see the evaluation. Good luck this summer! Hopefully we can both publish some good research and get an award next year.

Good luck to you as well!! 

48 minutes ago, Mitch_Mitchell said:

Has anyone from Geosciences (168) heard? And if so would you mind sharing the first could digits of your ID code. 

I'm in geosciences (168) and still haven't heard either. My ID is 57----. Here's hoping we hear today!

Edited by RobF

Just got rejected in 198 at 12:54, last name H and application number 557xxx. But I don't think you can see your application number before you get the results (it's different from the nserc pin)

Last year I got waitlisted and this year not even that ?

Edited by Eff5

Just now, Eff5 said:

Just got rejected in 198 at 12:54, last name H and application number 557xxx. But I don't think you can see your application number before you get the results (it's different from the nserc pin)

So sorry about that. better luck next  time. Would like to know your first three digits of original application code. Can you please share that?

202, 12:32pm EST, Last Name M, 559--- app number. I got PGS-D. 

• 2 Pubs in higher impact journals (one first author, other second),
  • one submitted (first author),
  • 2 conferences (one as presenting author),
  • 2 OGS years (only in first year of masters and first year of PhD for some reason, gives me the impression that one is a crapshoot). 
  • one 1st prize poster competition,
  • Industrial fellowship,
  • Undergrad capstone design mentor, 
  • MASc completed, 
  • 1 year industry experience, 
  • 2nd year PhD (this was my last kick at the can). 
  • Okayish undergrad grades, excellent grad grades (except for one B in one of my cross-discipline PhD courses, oops). 

This was a 3 year effort. It took me till this last year to make peace with my own ability regardless of success in the scholarship. My advice, focus on number one, make sure you're contributing and engaged. I don't think I'm any more special in anyway, I just work really hard (less than 8 hours a day on average though, mind you) and like my field (why would you do a PhD otherwise). 

Here are some additional resources for your next applications I've revisited over the years. They were great comforts in my writing process. 

http://www.mun.ca/sgs/current/funding/NSERC_PGS_CGS_D_Sept_16_2018.pdf

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/SF-tips_eng.pdf

I provide some detailed unsolicited advice here for our hopefuls in the coming years. Don't give up on yourself. 

Edited by PasserBy

I just received the PGS-D. I'm in geosciences 168 and my application number is 571xxx and last name starts with D-. I have one first author publication, one oral presentation at an international conference, two poster presentations, several past federal and provincial awards, and a couple internal university awards. Best of luck everyone who is waiting to find out!

1 minute ago, Mitch_Mitchell said:

I just received the PGS-D. I'm in geosciences 168 and my application number is 571xxx and last name starts with D-. I have one first author publication, one oral presentation at an international conference, two poster presentations, several past federal and provincial awards, and a couple internal university awards. Best of luck everyone who is waiting to find out!

Congrats! Waiting on 168 myself with similar credentials (app number 574xxx) so hopefully your win bodes well for me! 

I received notification of my results at 12:34pm today (PGS-D!). I'm in committee 202 (Mech Eng), last name starts with N, and app number starts with 558. 

Thank you to everyone posting earlier, you all kept me sane with the pre-result anxiety! Wishing everyone who is still waiting speedy release of their results and fingers crossed for good news!! 

27 minutes ago, jburnz said:

Just received notification of my results at 1:22, committee 179 (chemistry), application number 571***. Received a CGS-D, and couldn't be more grateful! Good luck to everyone else and congratulations to everyone who received an award!

Congratulations! Still waiting mine in the same committee. What is your publication record?

8 minutes ago, okyes said:

Congratulations! Still waiting mine in the same committee. What is your publication record?

Thanks! At the time of application I had four publications (two first-author), one submitted publication, and six conference talks (a couple national and the rest regional).

Hi everyone! Congratulations for everyone receiving results! 

I'm wondering if students who have applied before have any information on what is included in the rankings. Do they just give you a ranked number compared to everyone else in your field, or do they provide any additional information (how many other applicants there were, how you scored on research vs grades vs extracurriculars, etc)? 

32 minutes ago, canstudent13 said:

Hi everyone! Congratulations for everyone receiving results! 

I'm wondering if students who have applied before have any information on what is included in the rankings. Do they just give you a ranked number compared to everyone else in your field, or do they provide any additional information (how many other applicants there were, how you scored on research vs grades vs extracurriculars, etc)? 

I applied last year for PGS-D, but did not win. I ended up getting a standard letter that stated I did not win, as well as PDF with the results. The results PDF had a table based on the scores received multiplied by the weight of the section for the weighted value in the "Research and Potential" and "Relevant Experience" sections. Then it listed what rank you got out of the total number of applicants for that year.

I've included a screenshot of the table from last year (obviously results are removed because no one needs to see how poorly I did last year). Hope this helps provide some clarity.

Screenshot 2021-04-29 151556.jpg

Edited by newellee

For those who were sucessfull, If you received a full tuition from your school, do you usually include it in your application or do you not disclose it? I wonder how that can impact an application. Thanks!

Edited by Methomz

41 minutes ago, Methomz said:

For those who were sucessfull, If you received a full tuition from your school, do you usually include it in your application or do you not disclose it? I wonder how that can impact an application. Thanks!

If you have no limit, I don't see why you shouldn't included it. Although, I don't know if it really help you. 

Got my results early this afternoon - offered CGS-D! I'm beyond grateful, literally sobbing right now. My application number starts with 574 and I was in Geosciences (168). 

Bit about me:

• A+ average in both PhD and MSc, ~3.7GPA in undergrad. Applied in my second year (didn't have time to apply first year).
  • I've never received NSERC before but did get QEII this year 
  • I've got about 8 combined years of experience as a TA, tutor, research assistant, or field researcher.
  • Three published journal articles, one first author and two second author
  • Two first author articles submitted to peer-reviewed journals
  • Two conference presentations at international conferences (where I won awards) and two at domestic conferences
  • I had a strong equity statement in my proposal
  • I spoke about my political activism/union activism and how that shaped my ability to be a leader - I wasn't sure if talking politics would hurt my application but I guess it didn't! 

All my love to anyone else who applied this year and I hope the info I've provided is helpful!