Has anyone received any email from world bank for MPA - EPM Program. SIPA said that WB will contact candidates in late January / Early February.

Also WB will contact all the candidates nominated by SIPA or will only contact shortlisted candidates?

Has anyone received any email from world bank for MPA - EPM Program. SIPA said that WB will contact candidates in late January / Early February.

Also WB will contact all the candidates nominated by SIPA or will only contact shortlisted candidates?

On 1/22/2021 at 8:13 AM, graddream said:

Hey @tan1023 and @joshyboy, I think that's true. I'm an international applicant and I emailed them too and they said scholarships and aid decisions come out in March since currently, all applications have not been reviewed for financial aid. Here's what they said:

"Admitted applicants for fall 2021 have not all been reviewed for scholarship aid; that will take place in March and those selected to receive funding will be notified.  No further action or documentation is required on your part.  In the interim, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the information and resources at https://www.sipa.columbia.edu/admissions/financial-aid, including the external funding opportunities and the other (albeit limited) funding opportunities from Columbia that are not directly from SIPA."

I think FAFSA is a relatively different process and starts earlier on.

That's definitely cause for optimism. I received the financial aid award letter with only student loans as an 'award' and thought that was it. Best of luck to everyone on receiving some scholarships from SIPA!

On 1/22/2021 at 8:13 AM, graddream said:

Hey @tan1023 and @joshyboy, I think that's true. I'm an international applicant and I emailed them too and they said scholarships and aid decisions come out in March since currently, all applications have not been reviewed for financial aid. Here's what they said:

"Admitted applicants for fall 2021 have not all been reviewed for scholarship aid; that will take place in March and those selected to receive funding will be notified.  No further action or documentation is required on your part.  In the interim, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the information and resources at https://www.sipa.columbia.edu/admissions/financial-aid, including the external funding opportunities and the other (albeit limited) funding opportunities from Columbia that are not directly from SIPA."

I think FAFSA is a relatively different process and starts earlier on.

I was in a similar boat - American student who was not awarded funding with my offer letter or in my financial aid letter. I initially assumed this meant that I would not be receiving aid from SIPA, but after reading this was hopeful additional funding may be awarded in March, so I reached out to Financial Aid. This is what they told me: 

Thank you for your email, we have not completed the awarding process. If selected for SIPA funding you will be notified in March, however if you are not selected you will not receive any confirmation.” 

So now we wait...

13 hours ago, aspiringmpp said:

I was in a similar boat - American student who was not awarded funding with my offer letter or in my financial aid letter. I initially assumed this meant that I would not be receiving aid from SIPA, but after reading this was hopeful additional funding may be awarded in March, so I reached out to Financial Aid. This is what they told me: 

Thank you for your email, we have not completed the awarding process. If selected for SIPA funding you will be notified in March, however if you are not selected you will not receive any confirmation.” 

So now we wait...

Thanks for confirming this!

1 hour ago, RealG said:

I have been waitlisted for the MPA-ESP program. I am feeling a bit anxious. Does anybody know when the final decisions usually come out?

Based on the 2019 and 2020 boards the final decisions came in mid-March. Hope you receive some good news then!

On 12/18/2020 at 4:36 AM, Coffeetea said:

Got my email at 5:17pm this evening - accepted to the EMPA program. Got into several programs last year (did not apply to SIPA at the time), and had to decline due to COVID. Good luck to everyone waiting!!

One question for this group: what are your thoughts on EMPA vs. MPA? Is there any difference in prestige/reputation? At the end of the day it is the same degree, slight differences in core curriculum (i.e. no Professional Development course).

Thanks for your thoughts & good luck again!

Got my confirmation email on December 31st for the MPA-EPM program. 

How is the housing/schooling (have a 13 year old daughter) scene in Columbia?

Edited by Srikar

4 hours ago, Jessie923 said:

Hello! Did anyone who hasn't yet received an admission decision (didn't apply early) just get a "SIPA: Financial Aid Award Letter" email? Or does anyone know if this signifies anything?

Hi I also recieved this email without an admission decision and was wondering what it means!!

6 hours ago, Jessie923 said:

Hello! Did anyone who hasn't yet received an admission decision (didn't apply early) just get a "SIPA: Financial Aid Award Letter" email? Or does anyone know if this signifies anything?

Same here! Kind of confused by that? I would think a school wouldn't spend time reviewing financial aid for an applicant they aren't planning on accepting, so I'm hoping it's a good sign! Though based on the almost $70k cost after aid that's in the letter, it doesn't seem like attending is going to be very likely if I get accepted anyway haha but fingers crossed for all of us

1 minute ago, GradProsMPP said:

@Jessie923 @user188404 congratulations! Are you folks international applicants? Or is this FAFSA related? I received no such letter and wonder what that means for my admissions and aid prospects. 

Did you guys reach out to SIPA to hear about the implications of this letter? 

@user188404 I had the same thought! I'm hoping so too. And @GradProsMPP, I'm not international but I did indeed fill out a FAFSA form. How about you? I have not yet reached out to SIPA, no!

Just now, GradProsMPP said:

@Jessie923 I am an international applicant, yes. I did not fill out the FAFSA form. Wondering if these two processes are independent of each other? But, then again, I see that the email asks you to create a SIPA account, so maybe there aren't separate? 

Best option is to reach out to SIPA, I believe. 

Yes, very strange, isn't it. I wonder, too! Hopefully we'll get some answers soon -- for all of our sakes. 

1 hour ago, GradProsMPP said:

@Jessie923 @user188404 congratulations! Are you folks international applicants? Or is this FAFSA related? I received no such letter and wonder what that means for my admissions and aid prospects. 

Did you guys reach out to SIPA to hear about the implications of this letter? 

I'm also not international and I filled out the FAFSA. It looks like the financial aid package only includes things like federal work study or federal loans, so I'm assuming that's why you as an international student wouldn't have gotten that, as I believe those things only apply to domestic applicants (?). I wouldn't worry then that you haven't gotten an aid letter, as I believe scholarships and other funding sources are announced if you receive an acceptance or in mid-March.

Not sure what the letter means for admissions prospects for domestic applicants, though. Haven't reached out to SIPA to ask since I just received it today.

18 hours ago, Jessie923 said:

I also received this today and am a domestic applicant that submitted a FAFSA application! I feel like it may have been linked to the FAFSA submission, but on the other hand I'm confused why Columbia would spend the extra time before decisions go out. Definitely glad there's this space to compare with others!

@GradProsMPP Update for anyone wondering about the financial aid letter that was sent out yesterday! Looks like it was definitely an accident, so I don't think it matters whether or not you received it in terms of your admissions prospects. Figures!

Received this email from the Director of Financial Aid today (assuming it was sent out to everyone who got their aid award yesterday):

"You recently received an email informing you that the Office of Financial Aid at the Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) has reviewed your financial aid eligibility for the 2021/2022 academic year; a copy of that email is below.

This email was sent in error: This information will be relevant for applicants later in the admissions process, but is not applicable to you at this time. We apologize for the confusion that this email caused. Below is clarification for the current admissions process:

Admissions decisions have not been released, or even confirmed internally at Columbia. The Admissions Committee has not completed its assessment of all applicants, and after they have done so, the Fellowship Committee will be meeting to review applicants who will be offered funding.

Your admissions decision and financial aid details will still be released in mid-March. There is no change right now regarding the status of your application for admission or financial aid other than it is being given full consideration. You will hear from us in March.

We value you as an applicant, and we know that graduate school applications are already a stressful process. We apologize again for this error and for causing any confusion, and we appreciate your patience.

If you have any other concerns regarding this email, please do reach out to me at sipa_finaid@columbia.edu; my team and I can provide more context if needed."

Edited by user188404

10 hours ago, italy_decision said:

I received admission letter later today MPA-EPM. Quite ecstatic about it. though, it seems that I'll be seeking for a deferral till the next intake, we're back in full lockdown and travel restrictions. Does anyone have an idea on deferrals and the process?

Not sure about this either but thinking the same. Can you let us know what they say?

On 1/24/2021 at 1:00 AM, Hifsa said:

I received an email from the WB on 4th Feb that I have been nominated to apply for a JJ WBG Scholarship. I have to fill out an application which is due on 17th Feb.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! 

I got waitlisted at SIPA for the MPA-ESP program a month ago and I cannot stop thinking about it. For those who got accepted in the program, @would you please be kind enough to share some insight as to when the deadline was for you to accept your offer?  any insight how the waitlist works considering the program only takes a cohort of 50-60? 

Thank you!