5 hours ago, PartTimeStresser said:

Hi, has anyone received any update from SIPA about when decisions will be out? According to last year's thread, it seems decisions are always released on Friday or Monday. 

I think the website said "mid-March" so I suspect it won't be today, although wouldn't that be great! Probably towards the end of next week or the following week, unless anyone has any better info!

[Deferring]

Is anyone considering deferring their offer to 2022? I feel like SIPA is what it is because of its network and if not a lot of people are actually on campus it's not worth the tuition? Any thoughts on this?

Also best of luck to all of us waiting on acceptance/fin aid letters !!!!

21 minutes ago, f_ern said:

[Deferring]

Is anyone considering deferring their offer to 2022? I feel like SIPA is what it is because of its network and if not a lot of people are actually on campus it's not worth the tuition? Any thoughts on this?

I got a job offer that had me relocate to the Bay Area + end up in a year long lease, so I was hoping to try and defer because of the job (also want to make more $$ before school). 

3 minutes ago, francophile_1 said:

I got a job offer that had me relocate to the Bay Area + end up in a year long lease, so I was hoping to try and defer because of the job (also want to make more $$ before school). 

That's a more than valid reason to defer. I'm wondering if people will choose to not come to NYC because of covid restrictions, and considering many students are in other countries and there are travel bans/closed consulates so visas aren't being issued... the student population in NY could be small

On 3/5/2021 at 10:54 AM, f_ern said:

[Deferring]

I was wondering about this too, but based on what I'm hearing from a lot of other campuses, it seems like a lot of schools are tentatively planning on bringing students back to campus in the fall (let's see how the vaccine rollout goes). Personally, I'm planning to go if I get accepted/get enough aid even if the first semester is still phasing back into full-time in-person learning because I'm feeling semi-optimistic about getting enough of that experience by the end of the program to build a decent network, and partly because my partner will be re-locating with me for work.

That said, some of the schools I applied to would be harder for my partner to find work nearby and if those programs would be partially remote anyway, I'd probably consider deferring or not going either. So I definitely understand your reasoning.

I was accepted last week to the MPA-ESP program but $0 funding, so terrifying. I was reading through threads on reddit of students in $90k+ debt and what it feels like, and it made me feel sick to my stomach, truly. I wish I could defer but it looks like they have really strict rules about it, only accepting exceptional professional opportunities as reasons for deferral. I'm hoping I'll get accepted to a fellowship I applied for so that I can argue that it counts as a valid "professional" reason to defer. 

On 3/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, f_ern said:

That's a more than valid reason to defer. I'm wondering if people will choose to not come to NYC because of covid restrictions, and considering many students are in other countries and there are travel bans/closed consulates so visas aren't being issued... the student population in NY could be small

NYC is actually pretty open in comparison to, like, the Bay Area. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up moving to hybrid classes... especially since rates are dropping and vaccines are rolling out.

The travel ban is really valid point, however. Feels like Columbia SIPA is highly international so I have no idea how that will bode for the fall. (Also rent in NYC is dropping rapidly since everyone fleed the city/moved to the 'burbs so at least there's that). 

5 minutes ago, francophile_1 said:

NYC is actually pretty open in comparison to, like, the Bay Area. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up moving to hybrid classes... especially since rates are dropping and vaccines are rolling out.

The travel ban is really valid point, however. Feels like Columbia SIPA is highly international so I have no idea how that will bode for the fall. (Also rent in NYC is dropping rapidly since everyone fleed the city/moved to the 'burbs so at least there's that). 

Yes, I'm in NYC right now and I have friends who go to Columbia and are taking hybrid/fully online classes. I still think that even with hybrid classes, opportunities for meeting professors and networking would be limited, compared to what they would/could be normally.

And yes, rents are so low... It's one of the big reasons why I'm considering starting this year lol

13 minutes ago, f_ern said:

Yes, I'm in NYC right now and I have friends who go to Columbia and are taking hybrid/fully online classes. I still think that even with hybrid classes, opportunities for meeting professors and networking would be limited, compared to what they would/could be normally.

And yes, rents are so low... It's one of the big reasons why I'm considering starting this year lol

Very, very true. I also imagine it's hard to take advantage of being in NYC for internship opps, etc. etc. since they're mostly virtual... 

Curious if your friends agree that the community is very fragmented (compared to like SFS or SAIS... obviously nothing can compare to the Fletcher Mafia.) 

Edited by francophile_1