Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

Wow, lots of emotion and positive support on this thread!

I’m in the same boat of waiting, but I just wanted to add that, even for Ph.D. programs without interviews, many professors who have been in touch with applicants will opt to communicate the good news to the accepted ones personally. This can also come from the director of graduate studies or of that particular department, and will usually be a few days earlier than the official portal notification. In case you weren’t familiar, that’s what most people mean when they say “informal/unofficial acceptance.” I don’t know exactly how “unofficial” Stanford’s communication is, but this kind of “professors first, portal later” notification is on brand for many other doctoral programs as well. 

Y’all probably know that already, though. I just wanted to add it just in case some didn’t (and for future applicants, too). I had to learn a lot of this procedural stuff last year by digging through years worth of posts on GradCafe when I applied for doctoral programs the first time. What I also understand and have personally experienced is that Stanford is quite consistent about its “around Valentine’s Day” notification timeline. We’ll all know soon enough.

Good luck, everyone!

Just now, gvjcb1000000 said:

Just checked my email from last year's application. I got a rejection on Saturday 29th February at 11pm PT.

This was an email telling me a decision has been made on the portal, which then showed a decision letter explaining many applicants etc etc ? 

Oh interesting! In my last round of applications a few years back, I just got my rejection directly in the body of my email. My account for that application still says "submitted" as of now. So I wasn't counting on receiving information via the portal this time around. Surprised that they have different processes within the GSE, or maybe my information is just obsolete, in which case I'm sorry for providing outdated information previously on this forum. 

6 minutes ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

Just checked my email from last year's application. I got a rejection on Saturday 29th February at 11pm PT.

This was an email telling me a decision has been made on the portal, which then showed a decision letter explaining many applicants etc etc ? 

I guess you're talking about Masters and not PhD?

Just now, gvjcb1000000 said:

Can't remember if you said this but did you email the department to ask why?

I emailed admissions and not the department. I got an automated reply saying if the question is covered under FAQs the mail will be deleted. So I think because my question did have some keywords from FAQs, it was probably deleted.

1 minute ago, Toyo said:

I emailed admissions and not the department. I got an automated reply saying if the question is covered under FAQs the mail will be deleted. So I think because my question did have some keywords from FAQs, it was probably deleted.

As in gseadmissions at stanford . edu account right? or graduate admissions overall?

1 minute ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

Perfect - sorry to hear about a lack of response though, that's frustrating

It's like sitting in the middle of a volcano eruption and painting the scenery. 

You did get an interview opportunity right? I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!

3 hours ago, Toyo said:

So I guess if you had an interview then you get rejected through a personal mail but if you didn't then you get a mass rejection.

ok. that's possible. but, i was interviewed by POI and she didn't send me an email today about a rejection. maybe, not all profs inform their interviewees about being rejected. i guess we'll just find out friday then?

2 minutes ago, Lara-55555 said:

ok. that's possible. but, i was interviewed by POI and she didn't send me an email today about a rejection. maybe, not all profs inform their interviewees about being rejected. i guess we'll just find out friday then?

You are right! I also went through all the computer science results posts and realized they were in a similar state for 2-3 days.

42 minutes ago, Lara-55555 said:

I second this. When I spoke to my POI earlier this year he said that some professors prefer to do the unofficial notices while others rather wait until the school decides to send all notifications 

Just now, art229 said:

I second this. When I spoke to my POI earlier this year he said that some professors prefer to do the unofficial notices while others rather wait until the school decides to send all notifications 

that's encouraging. thanks so much for sharing. my POI didn't tell me about how students are notified about the decision outcomes. she only told me that we'll found out soon.

Hi Everyone! Congrats to those who have received acceptances. I applied for LSTD PhD and haven't seen any acceptances/rejections on any forum or site for that specific concentration. Does anyone happen to have any news for the LSTD program? 

Edited by circecat

Good morning guys. First thing in the morning  - checked this forum, then the results of those who informed for the moment, then checked email. Nothing in the inbox. Since it is evening at Stanford area, I think no sense for me to wait for anything today, during my day time, as they will start emailing in their mornjng which means my night time. Anyway, i realize that i am rejected. So letter is just a formal confirmation. Feel very disappointed and broken. No "self-helping" and "sdlf-supporting" techniques prepared  by myself in advance can help me.

@Jeanne A.I realize this is a difficult time for you. I'm very sorry you did not get the result you were hoping for. Nothing anyone one can say can change that. But change can come from you. I hope in time you forge a new path forward and continue realizing your dreams. The fact that you can write. That you have some type of education. Means that you are by no means without choices. I hope my tone comes across respectful and caring. I am by no means anyone to judge your actions or tell you how your should feel. But I feel it's important to say keep moving forward no matter what. Let your life be an example to all those without voice, without education, and without a path forward. For no matter where you are or come from there is one thing that we do have. The ability to read, write, and share ideas. Maybe ideas can be repressed. Maybe ideas can be buried. But just like you I hope for a better future. Please take care of yourself and mourn for the future you had in mind without loosing sight of the present and here and now. I believe you will go very very far with the amount of passion and generosity you have shown us here Jeanne. 

Best wishes and Respect,

Zapata

Edited by FreeZapata

Hugs to the two people who recently posted on results! Please come here and share your news as well! We are with you with you are accepted and we are with you if you find another path.

26 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Hugs to the two people who recently posted on results! Please come here and share your news as well! We are with you with you are accepted and we are with you if you find another path.

Well it means the emails are still being sent out and we also can get our results any time?

Just now, Jeanne A. said:

Well it means the emails are still being sent out and we also can get our results any time?

No, I think they either just checked their mails recently (after waking up in the morning/noon) or posted hours after having received the information.