Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

On 3/26/2021 at 9:32 PM, lucyfang0413 said:

Hi guys, I'm thinking about committing to USC PIBBS! Feel free to hit me up if you might also be going! This cycle has definitely been tough for me, but I'm grateful to have a place to go to, hope things are working out for all of y'all too ❤️ 

Hey, I am going to PIBBS as well! Do you know any group chats for pibbs people? 

I have about one day to decide between these two programs and would appreciate any input!

Hopkins CMM (Cellular and Molecular Medicine) in the school of medicine

Hopkins CMDB (Cellular, Molecular, Developmental Biology and Biophysics) with an NIH partnership. So basically I would move to Baltimore for a year and complete the academic portion of my PhD (take classes, TA, etc.) and then move back to NIH and join a lab there to complete my research project. 

My research interests are broad. The most important factor for me is that I'm able to do translational research. I have no idea what I want to do after but am slightly learning towards industry.

16 minutes ago, rmg20 said:

I have about one day to decide between these two programs and would appreciate any input!

Hopkins CMM (Cellular and Molecular Medicine) in the school of medicine

Hopkins CMDB (Cellular, Molecular, Developmental Biology and Biophysics) with an NIH partnership. So basically I would move to Baltimore for a year and complete the academic portion of my PhD (take classes, TA, etc.) and then move back to NIH and join a lab there to complete my research project. 

My research interests are broad. The most important factor for me is that I'm able to do translational research. I have no idea what I want to do after but am slightly learning towards industry.

DC/bethesda is a great town! (I'm on the waitlist for CMM lol) 

On 4/11/2021 at 4:30 PM, hopefuladmit2724 said:

Anyone else get off the waitlist somewhere? I haven't, but trying to get a good idea for this year 

I got off the waitlist of Weill Cornell yesterday. My tip for anyone on waitlists and future applicants, based on my experience - emailing program coordinators/directors asking about the waitlist may not be especially informative; more often than not, there's a non-disclosure policy. Email students you met with during the interviews. Ask if they know anyone who had gotten off the waitlist before, if they did anything special. If the school is your first choice, be upfront about it and let them know, it can only help!

26 minutes ago, sippinmytea said:

I got off the waitlist of Weill Cornell yesterday.

Oh congratulations! Fellow waitlisted applicant here but I guess I won't end up in WCGS for PhD....

Edit: Do you mind sharing which program you were WLed at?

Edited by Tomthegreat
Additional question

1 hour ago, Tomthegreat said:

Oh congratulations! Fellow waitlisted applicant here but I guess I won't end up in WCGS for PhD....

Edit: Do you mind sharing which program you were WLed at?

Thank you! I'll be in the BCMB program. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard anything back, but it looks like you've been accepted at some really nice programs! After 3 months of interviews, I haven't been convinced that the admissions process is neither subjective nor random. But, the fact that we got selected for an interview means a ton. Best of luck in your PhD journey~

On 4/13/2021 at 11:51 AM, wiz1810 said:

Currently deciding between Brown MPP or UIC GEMs, anyone here going to either of those?

I think the funding with the UIC GEMS is a bit iffy. But if they are about the same, UIC offers a large variety of research. Living in Chicago vs Providence is also something to take into account. 

Prestige wise: it doesnt matter, UIC is holding its own against Uchicago and Northwestern.

45 minutes ago, nęm0 said:

I think the funding with the UIC GEMS is a bit iffy. But if they are about the same, UIC offers a large variety of research. Living in Chicago vs Providence is also something to take into account. 

Prestige wise: it doesnt matter, UIC is holding its own against Uchicago and Northwestern.

so to further complicate this I got into JHU-CMM today, but UIC did really impress me. It's a quality program in a great location, I interviewed last cycle at both UIC and Northwestern and UIC was really impressive. Why do you say the funding is iffy though? in terms of training grants or like NIH money coming in?

Edited by wiz1810

6 hours ago, wiz1810 said:

so to further complicate this I got into JHU-CMM today, but UIC did really impress me. It's a quality program in a great location, I interviewed last cycle at both UIC and Northwestern and UIC was really impressive. Why do you say the funding is iffy though? in terms of training grants or like NIH money coming in?

The program only funds 1st and 4th year. I think

The rest is by the lab.

Decided to attend Princeton Molecular Biology! 

While I am sure there are a bunch more qualified applicants in here than me I would be willing to share my stats/tips for anyone who will be reapplying/starting to think about applications for next year. If you think that would be helpful just DM me!

Which program did you end up picking?

9 hours ago, wiz1810 said:

Oh I think that is fairly common from what I've seen, only one school I know of guarantees all years 

4 hours ago, wiz1810 said:

Hopkins CMM, it was between that and UIC for me. But honestly second guessing it now lol 

Only you can make the best out of both situations! 

May our phd journey be fun and fruitful! :wub:

• 5 months later...
On 3/27/2021 at 12:32 AM, lucyfang0413 said:

Hi guys, I'm thinking about committing to USC PIBBS! Feel free to hit me up if you might also be going! This cycle has definitely been tough for me, but I'm grateful to have a place to go to, hope things are working out for all of y'all too ❤️ 

Hi I've never heard of USC having a PIBBS program before. Can you tell me what aspects of the program you liked?

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 6:26 AM, misterbob19 said:

Hi everyone! Good luck with your applications this season!

I applied to 12 programs... and I do not know where the transcripts issue is coming from... very few schools require official transcripts at the time of admissions. If the application has a space to upload the transcript, you just upload your scanned unofficial transcript and do not send the official one 'till after you are accepted and decide to enroll in such program. No need for unnecessary anxieties... I think that just waiting to be contacted about interviews is stressful enough. 

You got so many interviews!!! You must be very excellent! I am applying for the biomedical program this year and have submitted all of the applications. Now I am preparing PPT for the possible interviews. Could you please share with me what else I should put in my PPT except for the research. What kind of questions they will ask? I had no idea.....