Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

3 hours ago, micro97 said:

Can I ask what program at Columbia you are waitlisted? I applied but have yet to heard back anything after the interview which was in January.

Hi there! I got waitlisted by CMBS. They told me they wouldn't get back to me with waitlist updates until early April (so hopefully soon?).. Which program did you apply for? It might be useful to email the coordinator and ask about your status!

1 minute ago, wiz1810 said:

Has anyone this year had any admissions off waitlist? I have two programs where I am waitlisted and one is my top choice. I feel like this year there might be a lot of shuffle even after April 15

I got off the waitlist for NYU earlier this week but had already committed to another program. It seems like a lot of people are still deciding, though, so it's not impossible to get off waitlists!

Just now, Smoothbrain said:

I got off the waitlist for NYU earlier this week but had already committed to another program. It seems like a lot of people are still deciding, though, so it's not impossible to get off waitlists!

Yeah I hope so, I've been chatting back and forth with folks at both programs (one is the institution I am at now so I am slightly salty) I get the feeling I'm high up on the waitlist but they are being understandably cagey. I was told I am in the "upper quartile of waitlisted applicants" at my home institution, which is absolutely not useful info. 

4 minutes ago, wiz1810 said:

Yeah I hope so, I've been chatting back and forth with folks at both programs (one is the institution I am at now so I am slightly salty) I get the feeling I'm high up on the waitlist but they are being understandably cagey. I was told I am in the "upper quartile of waitlisted applicants" at my home institution, which is absolutely not useful info. 

Good luck! I actually hadn't heard anything from NYU after getting waitlisted so I just assumed it was a rejection. I feel like now that it's April more people will be committing and declining other offers.

35 minutes ago, lucyfang0413 said:

Hi there! I got waitlisted by CMBS. They told me they wouldn't get back to me with waitlist updates until early April (so hopefully soon?).. Which program did you apply for? It might be useful to email the coordinator and ask about your status!

I also applied to CMBS, the M&I program and have not been emailed back at all. I feel like I need to email them for a status update.

24 minutes ago, micro97 said:

I also applied to CMBS, the M&I program and have not been emailed back at all. I feel like I need to email them for a status update.

Got it, best of luck! Let me know what they say if they respond. I just sent an email to Dr Mao (the graduate dean) as well, so I'll keep you posted!

3 minutes ago, lucyfang0413 said:

Got it, best of luck! Let me know what they say if they respond. I just sent an email to Dr Mao (the graduate dean) as well, so I'll keep you posted!

So I got a response and it said "it is very unlikely that we will offer you admissions due to financial restrains because of COVID. Also, this years acceptance rate was higher than usual."  Im not even upset because I realized the program is not the right fit for me and honestly I got into Duke and the response from them has been so amazing and everyone is so nice and friendly, so I am happy that I can finally submit that I will accept their admissions offer!

5 hours ago, hopefuladmit2724 said:

My student interviewer got off the waitlist at Sinai and he said he got the email during the first week of April. For what he told me *the rumors* about the PhD waitlist, it's not impossible to get off (1-2 people/MTA) but everything is messed up now due to COVID. Also I personally would jump at the chance to go to Sinai so idk if there will be enough spots for waitlisted students. But it looks like you have three other choices at least so that's good! It's my dream to get a PhD and I'm three years out of undergrad with a good deal of research experience and Sinai is my only choice at this point... 

My thing is I am international. So I guess its a different pool. I asked them on March 30th they are still processing but didn't tell me anything other than that like waitlist size when to update etc

Edited by Sky_china

19 hours ago, wiz1810 said:

Has anyone this year had any admissions off waitlist? I have two programs where I am waitlisted and one is my top choice. I feel like this year there might be a lot of shuffle even after April 15

I got off the waitlist at Ohio State and ended up committing there this week. It was really hard to be patient but it was worth it in the end!

On 4/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, wiz1810 said:

I got off the waitlist at Emory. I ended up rejecting the offer since I got into another school which means that another person will get off as well.

I am wondering at what time would you stop waiting on the waitlist and commit to an offer you already have. 

I am on two programs' waitlist . I am comfortable with one offer I had but there is one top choice ( mount sinai)that I am waiting but didn't give me update. So I am wondering at what time do you guys stop waiting on the waitlist and commit to the offer you have as Apirl 15th is coming

On 4/3/2021 at 9:22 PM, actionpotential said:

Hey all, I am attending Drexel COM (for biomedical/neuro) this fall. Anyone else?

I'm attending Drexel COM too! Biomed-Pharmacology&Physiology. 

Edited by Debugging_Queen

On 4/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, hopefuladmit2724 said:

My student interviewer got off the waitlist at Sinai and he said he got the email during the first week of April. For what he told me *the rumors* about the PhD waitlist, it's not impossible to get off (1-2 people/MTA) but everything is messed up now due to COVID. Also I personally would jump at the chance to go to Sinai so idk if there will be enough spots for waitlisted students. But it looks like you have three other choices at least so that's good! It's my dream to get a PhD and I'm three years out of undergrad with a good deal of research experience and Sinai is my only choice at this point... 

Have you heard from Sinai recently? 

18 minutes ago, hopefuladmit2724 said:

Nope, they said the same as you last week, that they were processing applications. Have you or anyone else heard from them? 

I tried to email them today asking if they expect to accept people from waitlist and got no answer

Haven’t posted on GradCafe for a little while now, but congrats to everyone about to start their PhD journey! It’s definitely an exciting time, even though it may feel different because of COVID. I’m currently a 5th year PhD CAMB-Cancer Biology student at the University of Pennsylvania, so I’ve been in grad school for a little bit. If you guys have any questions about grad school, funding, grad life (etc..), let me know and I can share some of my old man wisdom^^