Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

I applied too and I’m terrified. I feel like everyone on here is like “I only have ten years of research experience, 26 publications, and a 4.0 at Harvard, chance me but I’m not gonna get in :(“ and it’s really disheartening to see there’s not a bigger community of regular ol people this year. 

3 hours ago, neurokenzie said:

I applied too and I’m terrified. I feel like everyone on here is like “I only have ten years of research experience, 26 publications, and a 4.0 at Harvard, chance me but I’m not gonna get in :(“ and it’s really disheartening to see there’s not a bigger community of regular ol people this year. 

That's exactly how I am feeling right now. I'm trying my best to keep positive and I hope I hear back soon.

20 hours ago, babymicrobiologist said:

That's exactly how I am feeling right now. I'm trying my best to keep positive and I hope I hear back soon.

We've got this. I've been told by my PI that a passion for what you do can't be faked, and the admissions committees can see it. We've put in the work, submitted the apps, and all we can do is be patient and remember why we're here. (still gonna obsessively check this website and r/gradadmissions)

2 hours ago, neurokenzie said:

also what programs did you apply for, if you don't mind?

I applied for micro/immuno programs:

UNC BBSP (they sent out interviews for those who submitted via priority deadline on Friday and I need did not get one)

Cornell

University of Minnesota (MiCAB)

Scripps Research

UT Southwestern

Indiana University

OHSU

University of Washington.

What about you?

2 hours ago, neurokenzie said:

We've got this. I've been told by my PI that a passion for what you do can't be faked, and the admissions committees can see it. We've put in the work, submitted the apps, and all we can do is be patient and remember why we're here. (still gonna obsessively check this website and r/gradadmissions)

That's what my lab has been telling me as well and I can only hope my passion came across in my statements. Best of luck!

8 minutes ago, rmg20 said:

I applied to the Harvard BBS program and attached my unofficial transcripts instead of my official transcripts. Is my application toast? What do you think I should do? 

you attach your unofficial and send in your official. There is no way to attach official transcripts because you cannot access them (they are securely send to schools). You did the correct thing.

@ManifoldsAreMadeUp I was already contacted my another (smaller) institution saying that the transcripts I uploaded were not sufficient and I would need to send official copies. I'm worried that with the amount of applications Harvard gets, they're just going to automatically discard any apps that aren't properly complete.

Just now, rmg20 said:

@ManifoldsAreMadeUp I was already contacted my another (smaller) institution saying that the transcripts I uploaded were not sufficient and I would need to send official copies. I'm worried that with the amount of applications Harvard gets, they're just going to automatically discard any apps that aren't properly complete.

I don't know how it's possible that you need to upload official transcripts. By definition, you the applicant *cannot* view these transcripts and have access to them. I applied to Harvard (different program) and I sent my official transcripts in. You have to both upload your unofficial and send in your official for almost every school.

@rmg20For this application, I scanned a copy of my official transcript (ordered in the mail) and sent it via pdf.  They'll want you to place an order through your university to send official transcripts if you accept an offer.

Harvard's website states: "Applicants are required to upload scans or PDFs of official transcripts from each college/university they attended into our online application system: official hard copy/paper transcripts are not required at the time of application."

I wouldn't worry about this negatively affecting your application.  Transcript errors are common and each school has different pdf qualities that they prefer (I was asked to send a higher quality pdf of my transcript to a program this year). 

Edited by dopamine_machine

5 hours ago, babymicrobiologist said:

I applied for micro/immuno programs:

UNC BBSP (they sent out interviews for those who submitted via priority deadline on Friday and I need did not get one)

Cornell

University of Minnesota (MiCAB)

Scripps Research

UT Southwestern

Indiana University

OHSU

University of Washington.

What about you?

I applied to UTSW as well! I'm hoping for the Neuroscience or Genetics, Development, and Disease tracks. I've been seeing people get offered secondary apps, do you know if those are for international students only?

Others are Baylor College of Medicine (Development, Disease Models, and Therapeutics), UMass Medical (Umbrella program), UT Health MD Anderson (Neuroscience), Tufts (Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Bio), Johns Hopkins (Pathobiology), Texas A&M (Neuroscience, got unofficially accepted!), and Dartmouth (Molecular and Cell Bio)

29 minutes ago, dopamine_machine said:

@rmg20For this application, I scanned a copy of my official transcript (ordered in the mail) and sent it via pdf.  They'll want you to place an order through your university to send official transcripts if you accept an offer.

Harvard's website states: "Applicants are required to upload scans or PDFs of official transcripts from each college/university they attended into our online application system: official hard copy/paper transcripts are not required at the time of application."

I wouldn't worry about this negatively affecting your application.  Transcript errors are common and each school has different pdf qualities that they prefer (I was asked to send a higher quality pdf of my transcript to a program this year). 

I actually think this is a typo on their page. Schools absolutely will not send you official transcripts afaik because they can be doctored. I think Harvard meant "unofficial transcripts" or else they just meant that official transcripts should be sent in by email. If I remember correctly, you attach unofficial transcripts to your application but send in official ones through your undergraduate institution's system.

Edited by ManifoldsAreMadeUp

50 minutes ago, neurokenzie said:

I applied to UTSW as well! I'm hoping for the Neuroscience or Genetics, Development, and Disease tracks. I've been seeing people get offered secondary apps, do you know if those are for international students only?

Others are Baylor College of Medicine (Development, Disease Models, and Therapeutics), UMass Medical (Umbrella program), UT Health MD Anderson (Neuroscience), Tufts (Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Bio), Johns Hopkins (Pathobiology), Texas A&M (Neuroscience, got unofficially accepted!), and Dartmouth (Molecular and Cell Bio)

Someone told me they're only for international students, but I honestly don't know

30 minutes ago, ManifoldsAreMadeUp said:

I actually think this is a typo on their page. Schools absolutely will not send you official transcripts afaik because they can be doctored. I think Harvard meant "unofficial transcripts" or else they just meant that official transcripts should be sent in by email. If I remember correctly, you attach unofficial transcripts to your application but send in official ones through your undergraduate institution's system.

I'm not sure how it is for all undergraduate institutions, but mine allowed me to receive an "official transcript" in the mail, as well as through Parchment (online transcript certification service).  Once the envelope containing the transcript is opened, it is deemed  "unofficial" by the requirements set by a lot of graduate schools (you cannot generally send this version to graduate schools and have it count as an official transcript).  However, it is the exact same thing that they would receive if it were sent to their address instead of to a student's address.  

Schools that I applied to this year all requested a scan of this document (which they typically call an "unoffical transcript" or "copy of an offical transcript") as opposed to a pdf of an "academic history", etc.  This may have changed for this admissions cycle because of COVID-19, or maybe other schools required something different.

Edited by dopamine_machine

The requirements may be looser this year because of the pandemic. I was able to order an electronic copy of my official transcript from my undergraduate institution, and I uploaded the pdf to each application. I may have attached my unofficial transcript for only one school.

14 hours ago, rmg20 said:

I applied to the Harvard BBS program and attached my unofficial transcripts instead of my official transcripts. Is my application toast? What do you think I should do? 

I applied to BBS too, and on the portal they specifically ask for unprotected transcript pdfs, and say they will request official hard copies after admissions, so I am fairly confident you and I have done the right thing!

Hi everyone! Good luck with your applications this season!

I applied to 12 programs... and I do not know where the transcripts issue is coming from... very few schools require official transcripts at the time of admissions. If the application has a space to upload the transcript, you just upload your scanned unofficial transcript and do not send the official one 'till after you are accepted and decide to enroll in such program. No need for unnecessary anxieties... I think that just waiting to be contacted about interviews is stressful enough. 

On 12/5/2020 at 11:56 PM, ManifoldsAreMadeUp said:

you attach your unofficial and send in your official. There is no way to attach official transcripts because you cannot access them (they are securely send to schools). You did the correct thing.

I applied to the same program, and I agree, its not possible to attach your official transcripts. You need to send them and upload your unofficial.