Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

Just now, Bio11 said:

I did, still waiting, excited!  

Why is it important to reach some PIs? I am international and don't really know how it can help my application. 

yay! Which program did you apply to? For some universities that have direct PhD programs, it's better to talk to some PIs so they can hopefully persuade the admissions committee to accept you since usually these programs accept less people compared to umbrella programs like general biomedical science PhD programs (think NYU or Yale)

Just now, rosie46 said:

yay! Which program did you apply to? For some universities that have direct PhD programs, it's better to talk to some PIs so they can hopefully persuade the admissions committee to accept you since usually these programs accept less people compared to umbrella programs like general biomedical science PhD programs (think NYU or Yale)

Thanks for the advice! That's the problem with cultural differences, I really didn't know I should send anything to further improve my chances.. and I already think that me being an undergraduate is a disadvantage. 

I applied to several programs, which are accidentally way more competitive than I wanted in the beginning. I don't know about Rochester in this regard to be honest.

Which programs did you apply to?  

Just now, Bio11 said:

Thanks for the advice! That's the problem with cultural differences, I really didn't know I should send anything to further improve my chances.. and I already think that me being an undergraduate is a disadvantage. 

I applied to several programs, which are accidentally way more competitive than I wanted in the beginning. I don't know about Rochester in this regard to be honest.

Which programs did you apply to?  

Oh I meant what PhD program in Rochester did you apply to? And if anything you still have time to email PIs you want to work with! I applied to the translational BMS program at Rochester and UW-Madison.

Just now, rosie46 said:

Oh I meant what PhD program in Rochester did you apply to? And if anything you still have time to email PIs you want to work with! I applied to the translational BMS program at Rochester and UW-Madison.

Genetics, Development and Stem Cells, which sounds great and really fit my interests. Why did you apply to Rochester and UW-Madison? Any special reasons? 

Just now, Bio11 said:

Genetics, Development and Stem Cells, which sounds great and really fit my interests. Why did you apply to Rochester and UW-Madison? Any special reasons? 

you got this!!! You can search up "rochester genetics development and stem cells" here on the results search page to see when past applicants got interview invites, i actually didn't know about this until a few days ago haha. and i applied to those because of the research involved, a lot of the PIs are super helpful with guidance which  I want

Just now, rosie46 said:

you got this!!! You can search up "rochester genetics development and stem cells" here on the results search page to see when past applicants got interview invites, i actually didn't know about this until a few days ago haha. and i applied to those because of the research involved, a lot of the PIs are super helpful with guidance which  I want

Thank you so much! You to! 

I found out a few days ago (while searching here) that they usually send interview invites in late December - early January, but of course I still can't help but check every day, I think it's the same for all of us who are applying. 

35 minutes ago, Bio11 said:

I did, still waiting, excited!  

Why is it important to reach some PIs? I am international and don't really know how it can help my application. 

I see a couple advantages to contacting PIs:

1. To gather information about their research, lab culture/environment, mentorship style, and perspective on the program. More often than not, lab websites are outdated, and even NIH reporter (funding and detailed project information) can be outdated due to project timelines. Regarding lab culture/environment and mentorship style, I would also recommend reaching out to students/postdocs if you have the time. You'll receive different types and depths of insight into the lab. This advice extends to reaching out to members of another lab (e.g. reach out to members of Lab B about Lab A). If you able to meet over Zoom, the in-person dynamics can also be very helpful for your decisions.

2. To, first and foremost, become acquainted with people who may influence admissions results. Getting the chance to meet with a PI (by phone or video) is essentially an informal interview. Importantly, you also want to make sure your contact is memorable. I would recommend explicitly asking for a Zoom meeting for face-to-face time. If you leave a good impression, they will keep an eye out for your profile within the sea of applications. No matter how compelling your application is, you want to make sure they actually take the time to look through your preparations. I know, unfortunately, how challenging it is for international students to apply for US programs. There are many reasons for this, but funding is definitely a huge factor. PIs have to pay out-of-pocket costs starting your second year for many programs, and the school will also be paying additional fees. Consequently, if a PI is very interested in you and/or is willing to fund you if admitted, your application would become much more competitive. Thus, I strongly encourage you to reach out to PIs if you can.

3. Additional tips: If possible, it is worthwhile to reach out to members of the admissions committee alongside faculty members whose research you're interested in. For professors you feel uncomfortable approaching directly, network with their students/postdocs first (echoing a point from #1). Then, when you eventually email the PI, you can include sentences such as "I had the opportunity to meet with X and Y, and they strongly encouraged me to reach out to you." It is worth noting that many programs also invite senior students to sit on admissions committees, and it is much easier to schedule meetings with students. For context, this is my second time applying for PhD programs. Whereas I was unable to meet with/talk to any PIs my first cycle, I was able to meet with a large number of students/postdocs/PIs through one-on-one Zoom meetings this cycle. This is of course also due to normalization of Zoom meetings over the course of COVID-19.

With all of this in mind, there is no need to stress! Connecting with PIs is incredibly helpful for not only receiving an interview, but also to secure an offer. Lastly, take everything with a grain of salt since everyone has differing opinions on situations like this. At the very least, I don't think it will hurt your application to reach out. I hope this helps!

Just now, microglia said:

I see a couple advantages to contacting PIs:

1. To gather information about their research, lab culture/environment, mentorship style, and perspective on the program. More often than not, lab websites are outdated, and even NIH reporter (funding and detailed project information) can be outdated due to project timelines. Regarding lab culture/environment and mentorship style, I would also recommend reaching out to students/postdocs if you have the time. You'll receive different types and depths of insight into the lab. This advice extends to reaching out to members of another lab (e.g. reach out to members of Lab B about Lab A). If you able to meet over Zoom, the in-person dynamics can also be very helpful for your decisions.

2. To, first and foremost, become acquainted with people who may influence admissions results. Getting the chance to meet with a PI (by phone or video) is essentially an informal interview. Importantly, you also want to make sure your contact is memorable. I would recommend explicitly asking for a Zoom meeting for face-to-face time. If you leave a good impression, they will keep an eye out for your profile within the sea of applications. No matter how compelling your application is, you want to make sure they actually take the time to look through your preparations. I know, unfortunately, how challenging it is for international students to apply for US programs. There are many reasons for this, but funding is definitely a huge factor. PIs have to pay out-of-pocket costs starting your second year for many programs, and the school will also be paying additional fees. Consequently, if a PI is very interested in you and/or is willing to fund you if admitted, your application would become much more competitive. Thus, I strongly encourage you to reach out to PIs if you can.

3. Additional tips: If possible, it is worthwhile to reach out to members of the admissions committee alongside faculty members whose research you're interested in. For professors you feel uncomfortable approaching directly, network with their students/postdocs first (echoing a point from #1). Then, when you eventually email the PI, you can include sentences such as "I had the opportunity to meet with X and Y, and they strongly encouraged me to reach out to you." It is worth noting that many programs also invite senior students to sit on admissions committees, and it is much easier to schedule meetings with students. For context, this is my second time applying for PhD programs. Whereas I was unable to meet with/talk to any PIs my first cycle, I was able to meet with a large number of students/postdocs/PIs through one-on-one Zoom meetings this cycle. This is of course also due to normalization of Zoom meetings over the course of COVID-19.

With all of this in mind, there is no need to stress! Connecting with PIs is incredibly helpful for not only receiving an interview, but also to secure an offer. Lastly, take everything with a grain of salt since everyone has differing opinions on situations like this. At the very least, I don't think it will hurt your application to reach out. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the response! I think I will contact some PIs and see how it's like to work in their labs. I am a bit worried about Zoom talks, since I don't have much research experience and I worry I'll be out of my depth within a professional conversation, since I am more interested than experienced.   

51 minutes ago, Bio11 said:

Thank you so much for the response! I think I will contact some PIs and see how it's like to work in their labs. I am a bit worried about Zoom talks, since I don't have much research experience and I worry I'll be out of my depth within a professional conversation, since I am more interested than experienced.   

My pleasure, and don't worry about that at all! Some PIs ask for a CV, but you can also give a brief introduction to yourself. Just be genuine. You aren't a piece of paper or simply a collection of your achievements. You're a unique student and person. As people have mentioned before and in other threads, passion is nearly impossible to fake. Be honest about your level of understanding, and ask the questions that naturally come to mind. This is the advantage of an in-person meeting. Do this, and I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable conversation!

Edited by microglia

On 12/6/2020 at 12:09 AM, neurokenzie said:

I applied to UTSW as well! I'm hoping for the Neuroscience or Genetics, Development, and Disease tracks. I've been seeing people get offered secondary apps, do you know if those are for international students only?

Others are Baylor College of Medicine (Development, Disease Models, and Therapeutics), UMass Medical (Umbrella program), UT Health MD Anderson (Neuroscience), Tufts (Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Bio), Johns Hopkins (Pathobiology), Texas A&M (Neuroscience, got unofficially accepted!), and Dartmouth (Molecular and Cell Bio)

@neurokenzie I'm not an international applicant. I got an interview offer from UTSW right before Thanksgiving break.

I applied to 10 programs:

Vanderbilt University, UT Southwestern, Baylor College of Medicine, Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill, WashU St. Louis, UW Seattle, URochester, UMass and UPenn.

So far, I've received an interview invite from Vandy. Im unsure if others have sent any out. 

For background, Im an international student with a degree from a US institution, high GPA, 2yrs undergrad research experience. Applied last year and didnt get in, took a gap year and currently doing full-time research. No publications yet. 

Anyone heard from any of these schools? Thanks

10 hours ago, UKBMSChen said:

We have some overlaps, have you received interview invitations from Minnesota, UTSW or Washington? I received the invitation from Indiana on Wednesday.

I applied to IU Bloomington for micro and haven't head back. I haven't heard from UTSW or Washington, but some people have gotten interviews from UTSW. I got an interview for Minnesota MiCAB today.

Just now, babymicrobiologist said:

I applied to IU Bloomington for micro and haven't head back. I haven't heard from UTSW or Washington, but some people have gotten interviews from UTSW. I got an interview for Minnesota MiCAB today.

If there’s no interview received does it mean automatically reject? Or there is an official rejection letter. I’m starting panic

Just now, babymicrobiologist said:

I think it's probably dependent on the program. I have no idea if they send them all at once or in groups.

Yea I think I need to wait as all the statues are awaiting for decision. Congratulation on your interview invitation!

22 hours ago, TiredandBroke said:

Vanderbilt University, UT Southwestern, Baylor College of Medicine, Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill, WashU St. Louis, UWash Seattle, URochester, UMass and UPenn.

So far, I've received an interview invite from Vandy. Im unsure if others have sent any out. 

For background, Im an international student with a degree from a US institution, high GPA, 2yrs undergrad research experience. Applied last year and didnt get in, took a gap year and currently doing full-time research. No publications yet. 

I applied to Rochester! What program did you apply to there? Mine is translational BMS; i didn't hear back from them yet though

Vanderbilt University, UT Southwestern, Baylor College of Medicine, Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill, WashU St. Louis, UWash Seattle, URochester, UMass and UPenn.

Congratulations! Which track did you apply to the Vandy? When did you submit your applcation? Thanks!

congrats on the vandy interview!! I applied there too but haven’t heard anything, hoping my invite comes in the next wave.

I got an interview @ UNC chapel hill last week, but I think that group of invites was just for priority deadline applicants.

I also applied to Penn (CAMB) haven’t heard anything but I know IGG sent invites earlier this week.

4 hours ago, UKBMSChen said:

If there’s no interview received does it mean automatically reject? Or there is an official rejection letter. I’m starting panic

from what I’ve heard, some schools will sent an outright rejection email, others will just ghost you.

you should check specific program websites; some say that if you don’t hear from them by x date, you aren’t being considered for an interview.

Congrats on your invitation from Vandy? Did you apply to the IGP program in Biomed and Biological sciences because that’s what I applied to and haven’t heard back :(

16 hours ago, VictorZ said:

Congratulations! Which track did you apply to the Vandy? When did you submit your applcation? Thanks!

The Umbrella Program but I think I marked my interests as developmental, stem cell bio and therapeutics. 

I submitted it around 10th November. 

I applied to UT Southwestern around the end of October, but my last LOR wasn't submitted until Nov 12th, which to my understanding is only when they will look at your application. I got an interview offer from UT Southwestern right before the Thanksgiving break, but it might depend on tracks?

I'm also waiting to hear back from Baylor. I've gotten three emails saying my application is still under review. I don't know if that's more nerve wracking that not hearing anything ? 

I didn't apply to UNC but I've seen people talking about getting interviews. Again, could be a different track/department