Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

2 hours ago, Number34 said:

What do you guys have planned for us?

I don't want to give any wrong information in case plans change as they often do in 2020! But beyond getting to chat with faculty and hear from department chairs, definitely expect to hear lots about the benefits of living in Chicago and having a lot of opportunities to get to know the current students. In more typical application cycles, the interview weekend gives potential students a ton of opportunities to get to know the current students and see how they fit in.

Obviously, COVID poses a massive obstacle to genuine human interaction so I think the admissions committee is trying to figure out the best ways to do that without forcing interviewees to be on zoom from 8am-8pm. Oh and MOST importantly, they're figuring out a way to get interviewees free meals over the course of the weekend.

did anyone else apply to ohio state BSGP, and if so does your application status say you are missing an “autobiographical statement”?

can’t quite figure this out, only a personal statement was required, and i uploaded mine before submitting the application...

I have seen people post that they have had an "informal interview" with a PI, what does that mean? Does the graduate program reach out to the applicant to set it up, before the actual interview date or is this when the applicant emails a potential PI explaining their interest in the labs research? 

22 minutes ago, immunolover said:

I applied and was invited for an interview earlier this week :) How about you?

This is the only school I've heard from so far though.... 

Congratulations! I haven’t heard anything back from them and probably will not if they aren’t sending invitations in waves. 

12 hours ago, hostgenetics said:

I don't want to give any wrong information in case plans change as they often do in 2020! But beyond getting to chat with faculty and hear from department chairs, definitely expect to hear lots about the benefits of living in Chicago and having a lot of opportunities to get to know the current students. In more typical application cycles, the interview weekend gives potential students a ton of opportunities to get to know the current students and see how they fit in.

Obviously, COVID poses a massive obstacle to genuine human interaction so I think the admissions committee is trying to figure out the best ways to do that without forcing interviewees to be on zoom from 8am-8pm. Oh and MOST importantly, they're figuring out a way to get interviewees free meals over the course of the weekend.

Free meals, Yes! You can use food delivery services I think. But thats pretty cool!

4 hours ago, ssrour98 said:

I have seen people post that they have had an "informal interview" with a PI, what does that mean? Does the graduate program reach out to the applicant to set it up, before the actual interview date or is this when the applicant emails a potential PI explaining their interest in the labs research? 

As far as I know, the latter. It's helpful to be explicit when doing so, and I have directly asked for Zoom meetings at the end of my emails!

12 hours ago, helpert said:

did anyone else apply to ohio state BSGP, and if so does your application status say you are missing an “autobiographical statement”?

can’t quite figure this out, only a personal statement was required, and i uploaded mine before submitting the application...

disregard this; just spoke w the program director and she said to ignore this!

On 12/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, babymicrobiologist said:

I applied for micro/immuno programs:

UNC BBSP (they sent out interviews for those who submitted via priority deadline on Friday and I need did not get one)

Cornell

University of Minnesota (MiCAB)

Scripps Research

UT Southwestern

Indiana University

OHSU

University of Washington.

What about you?

We have some overlaps, have you received interview invitations from Minnesota, UTSW or Washington? I received the invitation from Indiana on Wednesday.

42 minutes ago, UKBMSChen said:

We have some overlaps, have you received interview invitations from Minnesota, UTSW or Washington? I received the invitation from Indiana on Wednesday.

Hi! I also received an invite from Indiana. Glad to meet someone else on the forum too!

54 minutes ago, prayingforamiracle said:

I did but I haven’t heard back so far. Which field?

to their Translational BMS program :( I looked at the past results here and they usually send their interviews mid January, did you get to email any potential PIs? Apparently they might be accepting fewer students

Just now, rosie46 said:

to their Translational BMS program :( I looked at the past results here and they usually send their interviews mid January, did you get to email any potential PIs? Apparently they might be accepting fewer students

I heard that program is amazing! I applied to Immunology, Microbiology, and Virology, and I haven’t reached out to any PIs tbh. Mainly it’s because it’s not my top top choice, so I won’t be too hurt if I don’t get an acceptance. I didn’t know that they’re accepting less students though! COVID’s impact is pretty bad at this point. I think you’ll be fine as long as you’ve reached out and matched the qualifications that their students have. 

I’ll give you a trick that I always use. As long as you verbally wish something into existence, like “I’m going to get into Rochester” or “I will go to Rochester”, then your likelihood of getting there is higher. There’s just something about calling it into existence that makes it work. Just keep saying it, and have faith! You’ll get in for sure!

I kinda did that with my top second choice uni, and the night before I got the invite for the interview, I dreamt about getting the interview. Pretty creepy but miraculous. Stay hopeful!! You’ll definitely get in!

Just now, prayingforamiracle said:

I heard that program is amazing! I applied to Immunology, Microbiology, and Virology, and I haven’t reached out to any PIs tbh. Mainly it’s because it’s not my top top choice, so I won’t be too hurt if I don’t get an acceptance. I didn’t know that they’re accepting less students though! COVID’s impact is pretty bad at this point. I think you’ll be fine as long as you’ve reached out and matched the qualifications that their students have. 

I’ll give you a trick that I always use. As long as you verbally wish something into existence, like “I’m going to get into Rochester” or “I will go to Rochester”, then your likelihood of getting there is higher. There’s just something about calling it into existence that makes it work. Just keep saying it, and have faith! You’ll get in for sure!

I kinda did that with my top second choice uni, and the night before I got the invite for the interview, I dreamt about getting the interview. Pretty creepy but miraculous. Stay hopeful!! You’ll definitely get in!

thank you!!! I hope you get into your top choice as well :D what is your top choice? All these schools love play with our feelings that I'm sure everyone wants this over with. Also, I saw your profile and noticed you're interested in the gut microbiome, one of my research was based on that!!

Just now, rosie46 said:

thank you!!! I hope you get into your top choice as well :D what is your top choice? All these schools love play with our feelings that I'm sure everyone wants this over with. Also, I saw your profile and noticed you're interested in the gut microbiome, one of my research was based on that!!

My top choice is Harvard BBS lol, which frankly is a dream, and if I get an interview, it’ll most likely be because of my SOP and my LORs. I’m absolutely convinced ?

Yeah I’ve already seen on the results page invites sent out to some unis that I’ve applied to, but I’m not nervous anymore cuz I’ve at least secured an invite. 

How was your research?? Did you enjoy it? What was the overall theme? I’m interested in how the gut microbiome affects other disease states and how it interacts with the immune system. What’s your research interest? ?

5 minutes ago, prayingforamiracle said:

This is what I have been telling people. If you prepare for the worst, that is exactly what you will get.

Just now, Number34 said:

This is what I have been telling people. If you prepare for the worst, that is exactly what you will get.

Same!! I’m already prepping myself for no invite from Harvard because let’s be real. It’s not our fault as long as we tried hard; it’s just that there are more competitive applicants out there.

Just now, prayingforamiracle said:

My top choice is Harvard BBS lol, which frankly is a dream, and if I get an interview, it’ll most likely be because of my SOP and my LORs. I’m absolutely convinced ?

Yeah I’ve already seen on the results page invites sent out to some unis that I’ve applied to, but I’m not nervous anymore cuz I’ve at least secured an invite. 

How was your research?? Did you enjoy it? What was the overall theme? I’m interested in how the gut microbiome affects other disease states and how it interacts with the immune system. What’s your research interest? ?

it was about the gut microbiome and how it affected the onset of alzheimer's disease; I enjoyed it a lot mostly because my PI was so friendly and helped me a lot. and you got this!! I love your manifestation advice, i say that literally every night haha

Just now, rosie46 said:

it was about the gut microbiome and how it affected the onset of alzheimer's disease; I enjoyed it a lot mostly because my PI was so friendly and helped me a lot. and you got this!! I love your manifestation advice, i say that literally every night haha

I can definitely see how they’re both related. When I had issues with my gut, I was lethargic all the time; I’d even start falling asleep while driving! That’s why I’m so interested in researching more about it! And yeah PIs can make a huge difference. They make or break your whole experience. 

Keep going at it!! It’ll definitely come true! Mark my words ?