Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

On 12/6/2020 at 12:09 AM, neurokenzie said:

I applied to UTSW as well! I'm hoping for the Neuroscience or Genetics, Development, and Disease tracks. I've been seeing people get offered secondary apps, do you know if those are for international students only?

Others are Baylor College of Medicine (Development, Disease Models, and Therapeutics), UMass Medical (Umbrella program), UT Health MD Anderson (Neuroscience), Tufts (Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Bio), Johns Hopkins (Pathobiology), Texas A&M (Neuroscience, got unofficially accepted!), and Dartmouth (Molecular and Cell Bio)

I also applied to UT Southwestern!! Molecular biology and metabolic diseases track. 

I also applied to Baylor COM, UT Austin, Upenn, Princeton, Rutgers RWJ, penn state, Mt. Sinai, NYU, drexel, Umass, harvard, yale and rockefellar 

I also applied to biomedical Ph.D. programs! I applied to Utah, Colorado State, CU Denver, UW, UNC, Stanford, UMN, Vanderbilt, Tufts, and Baylor. Primarily applied in the Immunology department if the school offered one specifically, if not I applied to a general microbiology or molecular biology program. I feel like deadlines, dates that we should be receiving interview invitations, etc. by, and information about interviews themselves have been super limited this cycle. COVID has obviously changed the process for all of this, but as I just switched to a Ph.D. track from a pre-med track, it seems that info is much more scarce.

I am honestly so scared; I keep emailing the graduate coordinator of my top choice with questions so they know I'm super interested and I keep emailing potential PIs I want to research under (but one emailed back saying she doesn't know she'll be accepting while the other two didnt respond rip). I'm also worried because usually during these times, there's an increase in grad school applications so hopefully that doesn't put me at a disadvantage ?  

been lurking on here a bit but figured I would join as I just received my first interview invite! I got an email Friday to interview for UNC BBSP.

did anyone else apply to northwestern DGP? just saw on their website that they plan to begin sending out invites on dec. 16th.

15 minutes ago, helpert said:

been lurking on here a bit but figured I would join as I just received my first interview invite! I got an email Friday to interview for UNC BBSP.

did anyone else apply to northwestern DGP? just saw on their website that they plan to begin sending out invites on dec. 16th.

Hey- when did you submit your app to UNC BBSP? Priority, or..?

11 minutes ago, helpert said:

Hi! I applied to DGP as well! I just checked out the website, and it feels good to know which date we can anticipate receiving invites. That’s one down at least

58 minutes ago, Neuromantic said:

Hey- when did you submit your app to UNC BBSP? Priority, or..?

priority. I’m under the assumption this round of invites was just priority applicants, seems like too quick turn-around from the dec. 1 final deadline.

56 minutes ago, prayingforamiracle said:

Hi! I applied to DGP as well! I just checked out the website, and it feels good to know which date we can anticipate receiving invites. That’s one down at least

32 minutes ago, Number34 said:

I applied to DGP too ?

they also posted their interview weekend dates (3 of them, if I remember) which is nice too.

2 hours ago, Number34 said:

These are not going to be 8 hours zoom sessions, most likely 4-6h . But I am excited for the virtual Chicago tour.

zoom fatigue is real! i am curious to see how schools will handle trying to introduce interviewees to the school's city..

We are getting a video, that's that. if you are serious about attending a school and want to check it out. You are most likely going to pay out of pocket to travel there. I plan to do this once I have my list of acceptances.

Edited by Number34

On 12/5/2020 at 11:43 PM, ManifoldsAreMadeUp said:

I actually think this is a typo on their page. Schools absolutely will not send you official transcripts afaik because they can be doctored. I think Harvard meant "unofficial transcripts" or else they just meant that official transcripts should be sent in by email. If I remember correctly, you attach unofficial transcripts to your application but send in official ones through your undergraduate institution's system.

I think they mean official in the way that they don't just want you attaching a course list (my school provides course lists as an unofficial transcript). What I did was order the official transcript from my schools and sent them to myself. Then uploaded them. Technically, they are the "official" transcripts but since I uploaded them myself that makes them good enough to look at for most admissions, but not for actual admit, which official transcripts sent direct to the program are.

7 minutes ago, puppiesandyoga31 said:

I think they mean official in the way that they don't just want you attaching a course list (my school provides course lists as an unofficial transcript). What I did was order the official transcript from my schools and sent them to myself. Then uploaded them. Technically, they are the "official" transcripts but since I uploaded them myself that makes them good enough to look at for most admissions, but not for actual admit, which official transcripts sent direct to the program are.

I did the same! My school's unofficial transcript is not a transcript at all, so I ordered the official transcript and then uploaded a scan of it as a pdf to the program (some want you to blur/black out the SSN if it's on your transcript, some want black and white, etc).

I applied to either the biology/biomedical sciences, immunology or microbiology programs at these schools:

UCSD, Rockefeller, Boston University, Tulane University, USC, UCLA, Stanford, UWashington, WashU St. Louis, Vanderbilt, Emory, Columbia, Harvard, Mt. Sinai, Caltech, Scripps

I received an interview invite for Tulane on Dec 3 after sending my app in Dec 1 (was very surprised by that turnaround! but my lab collaborates with Tulane a lot)

Figured I would stop lurking and make my first post. Applied to biological science/biomed programs particularly developmental/molecular bio:

Yale-BBS(MCGD), Harvard-BBS, UTSouthwestern-biomed, Princeton-mol bio, Emory-BCDB, St Judes-biomed (I think this is gonna be an awesome program in the coming years), Duke-DSCB, Cornell-BCMB, Stanford-dev bio

Have not heard back from anywhere yet. GOOD LUCK to all! 

Yall are making me nervous ? im applying for biomedical sciences phd programs (for cancer research) and I applied to 7 schools, not finished sending out apps and knowing people are already hearing back and I havent heard back is anxiety inducing ? good luck to all of yall tho! 

On 12/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, neurokenzie said:

also what programs did you apply for, if you don't mind?

I applied to U of Washington, U of Cincinnati, UCSD, UCSF, *City of Hope, University of Minnesota, U of South Florida, U of Illinois-Chicago, * U of Nebraska, and *U of Nevada .... (the ones w stars are the ones im still working on) 

5 hours ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

Yall are making me nervous ? im applying for biomedical sciences phd programs (for cancer research) and I applied to 7 schools, not finished sending out apps and knowing people are already hearing back and I havent heard back is anxiety inducing ? good luck to all of yall tho! 

no giving up hope- too early for that! you got this!!

On 12/5/2020 at 11:43 PM, ManifoldsAreMadeUp said:

I actually think this is a typo on their page. Schools absolutely will not send you official transcripts afaik because they can be doctored. I think Harvard meant "unofficial transcripts" or else they just meant that official transcripts should be sent in by email. If I remember correctly, you attach unofficial transcripts to your application but send in official ones through your undergraduate institution's system.

This isn't necessarily true. For quite a few applications I was advised to upload pdf copies of my official transcripts on my application, and it explicitly said that they needed to show the university's watermark/seal and that they could not be from a webpage.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, neurokenzie said:

We've got this. I've been told by my PI that a passion for what you do can't be faked, and the admissions committees can see it. We've put in the work, submitted the apps, and all we can do is be patient and remember why we're here. (still gonna obsessively check this website and r/gradadmissions)

Both of you are so right! I spoke with two prospective PIs while completing my apps and they both said that while research experience is important, no one is counting you out because your CV isn't 15 pages long. As long as they can see your passion, they see you. It's incredibly difficult to show passion you actually have in your statements, and even harder to fake it if you don't have it. They'll see you! 

22 hours ago, helpert said:

I applied for UNC BBSP, but one of my letter writers didn't submit my letter before the priority deadline(even though I asked her to) so I'll just have to wait and see! Congrats on your interview!

On 12/8/2020 at 1:35 PM, prayingforamiracle said:

On 12/8/2020 at 1:59 PM, Number34 said:

I applied to DGP too ?

On 12/8/2020 at 2:39 PM, helpert said:

priority. I’m under the assumption this round of invites was just priority applicants, seems like too quick turn-around from the dec. 1 final deadline.

they also posted their interview weekend dates (3 of them, if I remember) which is nice too.

I'm a current Northwestern DGP student feel free to PM me with questions or tag me in any comments

6 hours ago, amw1825 said:

I applied for UNC BBSP, but one of my letter writers didn't submit my letter before the priority deadline(even though I asked her to) so I'll just have to wait and see! Congrats on your interview!

thanks! good luck to you; fingers crossed!