Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

1 minute ago, StemCells4Lyfe said:

I applied to UT Southwestern around the end of October, but my last LOR wasn't submitted until Nov 12th, which to my understanding is only when they will look at your application. I got an interview offer from UT Southwestern right before the Thanksgiving break, but it might depend on tracks?

I'm also waiting to hear back from Baylor. I've gotten three emails saying my application is still under review. I don't know if that's more nerve wracking that not hearing anything ? 

I didn't apply to UNC but I've seen people talking about getting interviews. Again, could be a different track/department

What areas of interest did you indicate on your application for UTSW? I know  you could indicate up to three areas of interest and you're not directly admitted to a track, but just the umbrella program. However, I imagine that what areas you indicate do somewhat affect your application because they obviously don't need an entire cohort of cancer biologists, neuroscientists, etc. 

20 minutes ago, babymicrobiologist said:

What areas of interest did you indicate on your application for UTSW? I know  you could indicate up to three areas of interest and you're not directly admitted to a track, but just the umbrella program. However, I imagine that what areas you indicate do somewhat affect your application because they obviously don't need an entire cohort of cancer biologists, neuroscientists, etc. 

I applied to the GDD program. I don't really remember if I chose a second or third choice though, and I can't seem to access my application atm. 

I just went through the results page (because I guess I wanted to feel bad about myself LOL) and it looks like Baylor sent out interview emails last week (Dec 9-11th) to those who applied to Development, Disease Models & Therapeutics.

Edited by StemCells4Lyfe

1 hour ago, babymicrobiologist said:

I applied to the umbrella program. They let me filled a secondary application which consists of two questions. They said that's due to I'm an international. My statues is still secondary application submitted.

On 12/12/2020 at 2:15 AM, babymicrobiologist said:

I applied to IU Bloomington for micro and haven't head back. I haven't heard from UTSW or Washington, but some people have gotten interviews from UTSW. I got an interview for Minnesota MiCAB today.

Omg i applied to MiCAB at U of Minn and havent heard back now im nervous! I emailed the coordinator and she responded saying that I should be hearing back within the next few week ? but congrats on hearing back and good luck!!! 

Hello, I applied to 11 schools. 

Upenn( IGG), Yale ( BBS), USC ( PIBBS), BU ( biomedical science), UCONN( biomedical science), Rochester (immunology), Uwashington( immunology), UCD( immunology), Cornell( BMCB), NYU ( molecular oncology),Columbia ( biomedical) 

I am still waiting for the invitation of interview from any of those programs, and if anyone get the invitation someday before, please reply to me. 

( actually, I am super nervous right now). 

9 hours ago, DerekL said:

I applied to Rochester,  but still wait for the invitation....Nervous. 

Did you get invitation of interview? 

Oh that's great! I didn't get one yet, so far I looked at past posts and all of the interview invites came in January so we have to wait still ?

11 hours ago, DerekL said:

Hello, I applied to 11 schools. 

Upenn( IGG), Yale ( BBS), USC ( PIBBS), BU ( biomedical science), UCONN( biomedical science), Rochester (immunology), Uwashington( immunology), UCD( immunology), Cornell( BMCB), NYU ( molecular oncology),Columbia ( biomedical) 

I am still waiting for the invitation of interview from any of those programs, and if anyone get the invitation someday before, please reply to me. 

( actually, I am super nervous right now). 

I only heard back from UPenn IGG for an interview . Super nervous too! Good luck 

Edited by Blackroses

Question, if I submitted my application before the priority deadline, but one of my recommendation letters didn't come in until a few days later (specifically UNC BBSP on the 23rd but recommendation arrived 25th), was my application technically not before the priority deadline? Just determining my stress level lol

Also nice to meet everyone and good luck ❤️ we got this!

17 minutes ago, ebolafighter said:

Question, if I submitted my application before the priority deadline, but one of my recommendation letters didn't come in until a few days later (specifically UNC BBSP on the 23rd but recommendation arrived 25th), was my application technically not before the priority deadline? Just determining my stress level lol

It said on the admissions website they would start reviewing your application as soon as you had 2 letters of recommendation in, so I think you would have made the priority deadline! I still have not heard anything from UNC BBSP as well, I know someone mentioned that only one or two programs from BBSP may have sent out invites. Good luck, hopefully we'll all get some good news soon! 

59 minutes ago, Sav_wrigh said:

It said on the admissions website they would start reviewing your application as soon as you had 2 letters of recommendation in, so I think you would have made the priority deadline! I still have not heard anything from UNC BBSP as well, I know someone mentioned that only one or two programs from BBSP may have sent out invites. Good luck, hopefully we'll all get some good news soon! 

Awesome thank you! I figured it might be something like that... I just keep refreshing my email and I am trying to do other things (yet here I am :)

On 12/11/2020 at 5:39 PM, TiredandBroke said:

I applied to 10 programs:

Vanderbilt University, UT Southwestern, Baylor College of Medicine, Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill, WashU St. Louis, UWash Seattle, URochester, UMass and UPenn.

So far, I've received an interview invite from Vandy. Im unsure if others have sent any out. 

For background, Im an international student with a degree from a US institution, high GPA, 2yrs undergrad research experience. Applied last year and didnt get in, took a gap year and currently doing full-time research. No publications yet. 

Anyone heard from any of these schools? Thanks

Congrats on the interview! Which programs did you apply for at Baylor and UMass? Are you talking about UMass Medical School?

2 hours ago, Sav_wrigh said:

1 hour ago, ebolafighter said:

Awesome thank you! I figured it might be something like that... I just keep refreshing my email and I am trying to do other things (yet here I am :)

Regarding UNC BBSP, make sure to be checking your spam inbox too! My invite from them went into my spam, so I didn’t see it until a few days later!

3 hours ago, ebolafighter said:

19 minutes ago, helpert said:

Regarding UNC BBSP, make sure to be checking your spam inbox too! My invite from them went into my spam, so I didn’t see it until a few days later!

Oh my gosh you just saved my life, I just saw it in my spam folder and saw they needed me to fill out something by Wednesday! Thank you so much! +

Edited by Sav_wrigh

50 minutes ago, TiredandBroke said:

Thanks! DDMT at BCM and yeah, the UMass Med Schools Biomedical Science Interdisciplinary Program

I did DDMT and UMMS Neuro or Biochem! UMass is my top choice and I haven't seen many people saying they're applying there. it seems from previous years and what the admin committee told me we should expect interview invites shortly! if I hear any updates I'll PM you :)

13 minutes ago, Sav_wrigh said:

Oh my gosh you just saved my life, I just saw it in my spam folder and saw they needed me to fill out something by Wednesday! Thank you so much! +

Yay, congrats!! I nearly missed mine, only saw it because I was checking my spam for another email I suspected went into that folder, so I’m happy to help! 

5 hours ago, ebolafighter said:

I had this same question because one of my LORs seemed to take my submission date as a soft deadline. I talked to some admissions groups and they all told me that they wouldn't review until all the letters are in. But it might depend from program to program

Good luck to yall!! It actually made me even more nervous that you have already got interview invites... I mainly applied to biomedical engineering programs, not the same as yours but related, and may be even more popular than biomedical science programs... And it's quite impressive we have such a big community in biomedical fields. Cheers to the 21st century!