2021 Application Discussion Thread

HomoLudens

1 hour ago, polemicist said:

Out of curiosity, which programs (or faculty) are best for the philosophy of machine learning? 

Interestingly enough, my primary research mentor where I'm currently doing a funded MA is one of the top scholars in the field. Many places that are strong in cognitive science or philosophy of science have some folks working on machine learning or have resources for doing interdisciplinary study in philosophy, neuroscience, and CS. There are hubs of scholars working on this stuff in Australia (mainly ANU), the UK, and Europe, but I'm mainly applying to American programs that have the aforementioned strengths like Pitt, UC Irvine, UCSD, NYU, Stanford, CMU, etc. 

12 hours ago, PhilgoreTrout said:

Interestingly enough, my primary research mentor where I'm currently doing a funded MA is one of the top scholars in the field. Many places that are strong in cognitive science or philosophy of science have some folks working on machine learning or have resources for doing interdisciplinary study in philosophy, neuroscience, and CS. There are hubs of scholars working on this stuff in Australia (mainly ANU), the UK, and Europe, but I'm mainly applying to American programs that have the aforementioned strengths like Pitt, UC Irvine, UCSD, NYU, Stanford, CMU, etc. 

CMU is a really great place for machine learning. My roommate is a post-doc in their Material Sciences dept. and he works a lot on machine learning. There seems to be a lot of opportunities to learn from experts in the field. 

Just now, HomoLudens said:

CMU is a really great place for machine learning. My roommate is a post-doc in their Material Sciences dept. and he works a lot on machine learning. There seems to be a lot of opportunities to learn from experts in the field. 

Also, if anyone gets into CMU, I know a few people that you can reach out to to learn more about the school. Just DM me.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:41 AM, HomoLudens said:

On 1/5/2021 at 9:43 AM, HomoLudens said:

Also, if anyone gets into CMU, I know a few people that you can reach out to to learn more about the school. Just DM me.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep this in mind.

16 hours ago, ShadyCarnot said:

Cameron Buckner?

Yep! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Since UCSB is having reduced admissions this year (4-5) and two people have posted acceptances on the Grad Cafe results page, I think we can assume that all first acceptances for UCSB have gone out. However, there is probably a waitlist in the making, so keep this in mind if you are feeling down right now (especially if this is your top choice). 

TL;DR: I know a guy who did psyop stuff for the government; he's pretty good at astral projection. Might be able to get his help to figure out UCSB waitlist. 

Edited by Potato Cactus

59 minutes ago, HomoLudens said:

Who is taking bets that Stony Brook will announce today?

Wasn't the application deadline Jan 15th? Do you think they'll release decisions that quickly? 

Edited by eleatics

57 minutes ago, wanderingparthian said:

Is that spreadsheet available somewhere? I would find it useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yb_yciijFGEp5roVKYJ40U4eiREo3ZQTeSQkEjGMSsg/edit#gid=114877663

To see predictions you need to change the tabs located at the bottom.

5 hours ago, HomoLudens said:

Who is taking bets that Stony Brook will announce today?

My guess is that they'll release sometime next week (at the earliest). Perhaps the 28th if they're fond of Thursdays. I just can't imagine the adcom getting through that many apps in less than a week, but who knows. Wouldn't mind hearing back sooner (but only if it's happy news!!!!! they can keep the negativity to themselves ? )

Edited by somethingwitty

15 minutes ago, somethingwitty said:

My guess is that they'll release sometime next week (at the earliest). Perhaps the 28th if they're fond of Thursdays. I just can't imagine the adcom getting through that many apps in less than a week, but who knows. Wouldn't mind hearing back sooner (but only if it's happy news!!!!! they can keep the negativity to themselves ? )

...whoops ? Yeah with a Jan 15th deadline no way it's today. It looks like they use to have a hard deadline of the 7th instead but have recently pushed it back a week. 

As such...probs should push the prediction back a week as well. Sorry folks! (The part of the spreadsheet with deadlines is relatively new so I haven't put in any time to see how deadlines have changed over time)

-L

1 hour ago, wanderingparthian said:

Thanks!

If you want to share with any friends feel free to use this link: bit.ly/PhilAdm ? It helps me see roughly how many folks are utilizing it (but I don't get any other data besides how many folks click each day/country of the click)

On 1/21/2021 at 2:11 PM, MtnDuck said:

If you want to share with any friends feel free to use this link: bit.ly/PhilAdm ? It helps me see roughly how many folks are utilizing it (but I don't get any other data besides how many folks click each day/country of the click)

Wow who put this sheet together? It's pretty amazing

22 minutes ago, Kapol-in said:

I know a student from UW is actively updating it, idk if that is you mtn duck. Ultimately it is a crowdsourced project. Still I am also very appreciative of it. 

22 minutes ago, Kapol-in said:

I know a student from UW is actively updating it, idk if that is you mtn duck. Ultimately it is a crowdsourced project. Still I am also very appreciative of it. 

4 hours ago, PhilCoffee said:

If the total philosophy applicants remain steady while everyone is applying to more programs (due to a sense of insecurity, for instance), then one's chancess of getting accepted off the waitlist will go higher. Does this make sense?

I don't think so. What's your thought? 

@PolPhil Hey! The thought is just that the applicants that get accepted to multiple programs will reject most of them but one. And if they're applying to more places, they will end up rejecting more, which makes guys on the waitlists have better chances to get accepted. It will be harder for many to get on the waitlists from the first place, though.