2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

2 hours ago, monstarfish said:

I applied to two schools for Fall 2021: the University of Kansas and UIUC. I applied to both for physical chemistry. I got accepted to KU but still waiting on UIUC... Does anyone know if they are still admitting applicants? Has anyone else been accepted/rejected yet?

I was accepted in physical chemistry to UIUC on Dec 21. I don't know if they're still admitting applicants, but the registration deadline for their visit weekends was Jan 22.

4 hours ago, jkfozfbrs009 said:

is this also new for people who applied to Rice?

985226608_Image2-1-21at11_24.JPG.d19009a52d4b4a7564583ee270f61c23.JPG

Yeah, I have this statement too on my application status website. It was added recently. Don't know what this means. Do you have any idea? Does everyone have this on their status website?

1 minute ago, Robpat said:

Did any International student hear back from URochester, Colorado state, UPittsburgh, Rice and Boston College?

I heard back from UR on Dec 9 but it might be because I went there for undergrad. I'm pretty sure that they are sending admissions/rejections on an ongoing basis. Good luck!

1 minute ago, Robpat said:

Did any International student hear back from URochester, Colorado state, UPittsburgh, Rice and Boston College?

I was accepted to URochester and still waiting for Rice

22 minutes ago, Robpat said:

Yeah, I have this statement too on my application status website. It was added recently. Don't know what this means. Do you have any idea? Does everyone have this on their status website?

I have no idea what it means

On 1/31/2021 at 12:58 AM, ilovechem123 said:

Does anyone else see something new on Applyweb portal for UMich? Something new popped up on mine to send in offical transcripts, but I have not been notified yet at all.

I saw this on mine. "certifile". It costs $50.00 and it is optional.  You do have to send in official transcripts, but I think they required official transcripts for the application well I know I sent them official transcripts when I applied because I have the receipt in my email through Parchment (the system Umass Amherst uses to send official transcripts).  I believe as long as you send official transcripts directly through your Bachelor's granting institution which most schools use either Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse, and it is very affordable, like $5-10 for a transcript vs. this "certifile" thing through apply web that wants $50.00.  I sent an email to the admissions dept (Kat.) and asked about it, if it was required to use "certifile" and she has not responded. On another note, I was contacted by a second professor from Michigan today (in addition to the professor who called me to notify me I was accepted), who told me he had nominated me for a Rackham Merit Fellowship, and that I received one, and he didn't mention anything about needing any transcripts or needing any additional information, and I feel like the deans of the graduate school wouldn't have awarded me this fellowship if they hadn't seen my official transcripts (which I again sent when I applied).  So in my opinion, I think it is apply web (which is a third party program) trying to get $50.00 from us, and I wouldn't do it unless someone from the department contacts you and tells you they need you to.  I will update you if I hear back from Kat or the admissions dept about it.  

1 minute ago, ARSack02554 said:

I saw this on mine. "certifile". It costs $50.00 and it is optional.  You do have to send in official transcripts, but I think they required official transcripts for the application well I know I sent them official transcripts when I applied because I have the receipt in my email through Parchment (the system Umass Amherst uses to send official transcripts).  I believe as long as you send official transcripts directly through your Bachelor's granting institution which most schools use either Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse, and it is very affordable, like $5-10 for a transcript vs. this "certifile" thing through apply web that wants $50.00.  I sent an email to the admissions dept (Kat.) and asked about it, if it was required to use "certifile" and she has not responded. On another note, I was contacted by a second professor from Michigan today (in addition to the professor who called me to notify me I was accepted), who told me he had nominated me for a Rackham Merit Fellowship, and that I received one, and he didn't mention anything about needing any transcripts or needing any additional information, and I feel like the deans of the graduate school wouldn't have awarded me this fellowship if they hadn't seen my official transcripts (which I again sent when I applied).  So in my opinion, I think it is apply web (which is a third party program) trying to get $50.00 from us, and I wouldn't do it unless someone from the department contacts you and tells you they need you to.  I will update you if I hear back from Kat or the admissions dept about it.  

It came up on my applyweb too, but I have not yet received any admissions decision. TBH I think they did this for everyone's application :(

Just now, asdfghjkl21 said:

It came up on my applyweb too, but I have not yet received any admissions decision. TBH I think they did this for everyone's application :(

Yes I don't think it is the Michigan Chem department or grad school even doing it, I think it is the Apply Web Program that clearly has a deal with this "certifile" company, They might not even know it is on everyone's page, it seems like an error to me, especially if it is showing up for people that haven't even been accepted yet. I was very skeptical when I saw it because I knew I already sent them official transcripts and I finished undergrad in 2015, so my transcripts already show my degrees are conferred, which is why I emailed the admissions department, I am not paying $50.00 for anything until I get confirmation from someone in the department that it is required.  

3 hours ago, asdfghjkl21 said:

Asking on behalf of a friend:

Any news for organic acceptances from Boston U, Tufts, Northeastern, Brown, UPenn, U Delaware?

Had an interview with Boston U a week ago and was told I’d hear back within two weeks, so probably some time this week

5 hours ago, Robpat said:

I am an int’l student and thankfully got an offer from BC. I think they are waiting for people to accept/release offers before they get back to other students on the waitlist. 

8 hours ago, asdfghjkl21 said:

Anyone still waiting to hear for Ohio State or Irvine for organic?

I applied for organic chemistry at UCI. Havent heard back yet. POI said to me that they are still in the review process and they admit students on rolling basis. 

8 hours ago, asdfghjkl21 said:

Asking on behalf of a friend:

Any news for organic acceptances from Boston U, Tufts, Northeastern, Brown, UPenn, U Delaware?

Applied to Upenn organic. Havent heard back yet. Do you know if all the interview invites have been sent out?

43 minutes ago, Hb94 said:

I applied for organic chemistry at UCI. Havent heard back yet. POI said to me that they are still in the review process and they admit students on rolling basis. 

I applied in mid November, and I still haven’t heard back. I am wondering if this means rejection or just that they haven’t gotten to my application yet? My stats are better than those getting admitted but who knows