School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

8 minutes ago, Schoolzy said:

Honestly, I would just wait it out unless they gave you a timeframe. If they didn't tell you one, just wait and if you can't, 3 weeks because like you said you don't want to be "that student" but then again its been 3 weeks.? If they did give you a time frame, you have every right to check in after that timeframe. ?

I would agree with Schoolzy. My top two schools happen to be both the schools that haven't gotten back to me yet and I interviewed with them on the 23rd and 24th of January.

I am just going to hold out hope and until I hear back assume I still have a shot!

Edited by JakiraJakira

On 2/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, The_Garnet_Comet said:

Oh jeeze, I have been waiting on them as well for that exact requirement and I was told my application was under review anyways. I was afraid of that being why I hadn't heard anything back yet.

Just wondering have you heard back from GSU? I just emailed to look at my portal and it says my admissions application was not approved.. I guess meaning I was rejected. I’ll be checking to make sure my problems that I had was not the reason why it was not approved. But just wondering.

Just now, ToniDC said:

Just wondering have you heard back from GSU? I just emailed to look at my portal and it says my admissions application was not approved.. I guess meaning I was rejected. I’ll be checking to make sure my problems that I had was not the reason why it was not approved. But just wondering.

I just got the notification as well, also rejected outright. Not quite sure what a lot of these schools are looking for at this point, but I fear that the goalposts have shifted this year especially.

Good luck with the rest of your applications! Where else are you waiting on?

40 minutes ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

I just got the notification as well, also rejected outright. Not quite sure what a lot of these schools are looking for at this point, but I fear that the goalposts have shifted this year especially.

Good luck with the rest of your applications! Where else are you waiting on?

Good luck to you as well ! I feel like this was the worst year to apply… and I’m only waiting on university of Alabama so fingers crossed because it’s my last school left… what about you??

5 minutes ago, ToniDC said:

Good luck to you as well ! I feel like this was the worst year to apply… and I’m only waiting on university of Alabama so fingers crossed because it’s my last school left… what about you??

I'm waiting on 5 now (all EdS), been rejected by 5 or haven't gotten an interview.

Bama has a great program, best of luck!

Does anyone have any advice about asking about funding after receiving an acceptance offer? The school does offer funding but it isn’t guaranteed, and there hasn’t been any mention of it thus far... But funding is so important for me to attend!

I’ve also heard about a lot of people receiving unfunded offers so far and I wasn’t aware that was the norm in School Psych... especially because I was under the impression Ph.D’s are almost always funded even when funding isn’t 100% guaranteed. Is it just the nature of this application cycle, or is it fairly common? 

Received an interview itinerary for one of my programs and wow - I did not expect there to be twice as many interviewees as there are spots in the program (there are usually ~20 spots per cohort)! Is it common for schools to interview twice as many applicants as they plan to accept? Those odds are making me nervous lol. 

28 minutes ago, sch_psych said:

Does anyone have any advice about asking about funding after receiving an acceptance offer? The school does offer funding but it isn’t guaranteed, and there hasn’t been any mention of it thus far... But funding is so important for me to attend!

I’ve also heard about a lot of people receiving unfunded offers so far and I wasn’t aware that was the norm in School Psych... especially because I was under the impression Ph.D’s are almost always funded even when funding isn’t 100% guaranteed. Is it just the nature of this application cycle, or is it fairly common? 

I actually am in the same situation you are in right now.  For Indiana U and Ohio State in previous years all students have been able to secure funding for at least 3 out of 4 years or for all 4(1 student opted out their first year as a veteran with GI bill). They can't guarantee it however as the funding comes from the college of education or department itself and is allocated to applicants depending on available positions and skills that prepare applicants for roles. 

Depending on where you got accepted (your best chances are at large R1 public universities) you should find funding somewhere at the university it just may be different than research work in a lab. You might be a TA at the tutoring center or a program assistant for student teacher placements. 

The majority of programs in school psychology actually do not guarantee funding. This is due to the heavy applied role of our field compared to clinical psychology. Less faculty are pursuing grants that fund their research since most faculty have a large teaching role. Even if a program has been able to find funding for their students in the past 10 years they almost never will guarantee it unless they have hard funding (grants) they have control over. Soft funds at the department or university level change year after year and while are almost guaranteed are not their yet. 

This is what one of my POIs said. I wont disclose what program or professor since it could identify me.

"Regarding fellowships, we advance accepted persons names for these, there is nothing you need to do. And you do not need to accept your offer in order for us to do that. While we would love to you to come to our program, we respect your right to take as much time (up to the universal deadline (the school psychology programs nationally have agreed to this April 15 deadline, no program should be pressuring you to decide sooner than that) as needed to make this important decision. We pursue funding for you regardless of whether you have already accepted our offer. We understand for a lot of people whether they accept our admissions offer is heavily related to the funding they receive and I promise you will pursue funding for you with just as much vigor as we would if you had already accepted the offer, they are unrelated. Until the minute someone says they are not coming, we assume that they are and try to get funding for them, you most certainly included.

Regarding timing, that’s a bit harder to know. I think it’s possible that we will know more about funding by early March, but it really varies from year to year and the fellowships in particular are decided at the college level. On our end, we nominate people and then it goes through a selection process that we are not directly a part of as individual faculty as different awards are decided by different committees that we are not a part of. So, while we may or may not know more by early March, we certainly will know about the fellowships by April 15. We typically know about fellowships well before then, but with COVID I am so hesitant to make a specific prediction about the timing of anything. That said, most programs have an April 15 deadline, so I would imagine that we will hear well before then just as we normally do.

Please also keep an eye on postings for assistantships, as you will be very competitive for these. Ultimately, most of our PhD students end up with an assistantship rather than a fellowship. I’m not saying this will happen with you as you are a strong fellowship prospect as well, but I just don’t want you—or anyone else—to have all of their eggs in the fellowship basket as this is just one source of funding and the most competitive source. When I looked a few weeks ago there were not yet any assistantship postings for jobs that start in the fall, but if this has not already changed it will as the semester progresses (we are the end of week 2 of our semester, so it’s still very early to be thinking about August in terms of job openings, but that will change as we get closer to mid-semester).

The bottom line is that while we don’t have funding to offer your this exact moment, we are going to pursue this vigorously and I encourage you to do so as well for assistantships as they start to be posted. While we cannot promise funding to anyone we accept, our track record is very strong and we are committed to working with you and on your behalf to secure funding. Let’s stay in touch, OK? Again, I will never pressure you to make a decision before April 15, but if you have any questions or want to keep me updated on anything that seems promising, I would appreciate it. On our end, we will be proactive.

33 minutes ago, ctrsca said:

Received an interview itinerary for one of my programs and wow - I did not expect there to be twice as many interviewees as there are spots in the program (there are usually ~20 spots per cohort)! Is it common for schools to interview twice as many applicants as they plan to accept? Those odds are making me nervous lol. 

I interviewed at a program that had 5 people for each spot on interview day. 20 people for 4 spots. 

10 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

I interviewed at a program that had 5 people for each spot on interview day. 20 people for 4 spots. 

Wow! I definitely don't have anything to complain about lol. Props to you for making it to the interview because that is clearly a massive achievement in and of itself :) 

10 minutes ago, ctrsca said:

Wow! I definitely don't have anything to complain about lol. Props to you for making it to the interview because that is clearly a massive achievement in and of itself :) 

Thank you! Congrats on interviewing at one of your programs! Hope it was your top one! 

3 minutes ago, mjk20 said:

have you heard back from umassboston?

I have not yet! I believe the students at the interview day said we should hear back in the next 2 weeks. 

I will not be accepting if I receive an offer though as I do not want to spend an extra year in grad school or live off 18k in Boston. That's why I changed my signature to say declined offer (as I will not be accepting if I do get one)

Edited by JakiraJakira

4 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

I have not yet! I believe the students at the interview day said we should hear back in the next 2 weeks. 

I will not be accepting if I receive an offer though as I do not want to spend an extra year in grad school or live off 18k in Boston. That's why I changed my signature to say declined offer (as I will not be accepting if I do get one)

okay great, thank you! yes, that's what I figured but just wanted to check.  i'm in the same boat :(