School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

11 hours ago, ctrsca said:

Received an interview itinerary for one of my programs and wow - I did not expect there to be twice as many interviewees as there are spots in the program (there are usually ~20 spots per cohort)! Is it common for schools to interview twice as many applicants as they plan to accept? Those odds are making me nervous lol. 

This part is making me nervous, too! I know I am interviewing at a spot where there is only 1 opening. There were 5 of us that showed up to interview for that one spot. All the other candidates seem great too!

15 minutes ago, Cats101 said:

Has anyone heard from UW or Buffalo?

I called Buffalo yesterday to inquire about my status and they said that while some rejections had been sent out the admissions committee had yet to send decisions to the office so if you have not heard back after interview day you should still be in consideration. 

What are your opinions on the University of South Florida's PhD program? I really like the research opportunities but the practicum opportunities don't seem to be as great as other schools. Is there anyone who is in the program or has any knowledge of how the program is?

Just now, schoolpsych1122 said:

Just wondering does anyone know if most school send out interview invites all at once? 

Some schools send the invites out all at once through their program director. If it was sent by faculty, then there is a possibility that they can send the invites at different times but I would assume that it’s still usually around the same week because I feel like they all work together in selecting applicants. 

POI at one of my top schools called me and said I'm at the top of the waitlist (they don't admit directly to one professor but program as a whole). Does this mean I have a pretty good chance assuming that at least one of the people they extended offers to won't accept? 

10 minutes ago, Sunkay123 said:

POI at one of my top schools called me and said I'm at the top of the waitlist (they don't admit directly to one professor but program as a whole). Does this mean I have a pretty good chance assuming that at least one of the people they extended offers to won't accept? 

If you don’t want to say don’t worry about it but It wasn’t UF was it? Going nuts waiting for them this week...

12 minutes ago, Sunkay123 said:

Yes. 100%. Most schools do not have a 100% enrollment rate of accepted students. At most schools at least one student is accepted off the waitlist. I would say you have a good shot!

4 hours ago, Southwestteacher said:

This part is making me nervous, too! I know I am interviewing at a spot where there is only 1 opening. There were 5 of us that showed up to interview for that one spot. All the other candidates seem great too!

A lot of what I've read about the interview process made me think that it wouldn't be quite as competitive at this stage. The interview is often billed as an opportunity for the program to "sell itself to you" but now I feel more pressure than ever haha. Five people for one spot is crazy! It is so awesome that you got an invite. I hope you get the outcome you are hoping for! :) 

9 hours ago, ctrsca said:

. The interview is often billed as an opportunity for the program to "sell itself to you" but now I feel more pressure than ever haha. Five people for one spot is crazy! It is so awesome that you got an invite. I hope you get the outcome you are hoping for! :) 

Also don't think that because the interview was competitive and not very long that you won't get in. My interview for Ohio State was 10 minutes casual with a student and 15 minutes with both POIs. Plus, it was an alternative interview date because I couldn't attend the regular interview day due to a prior commitment. 

Stay positive and don't sell yourself short!

14 minutes ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

Anyone heard back from Winthrop or Western Carolina yet? Both would be EdS programs.

Still nothing from Winthrop. Someone on the subreddit said they got 20 or so more applications than usual, so it may take a little longer to sort through them. 

18 minutes ago, TheCatLady said:

Still nothing from Winthrop. Someone on the subreddit said they got 20 or so more applications than usual, so it may take a little longer to sort through them. 

Yeah, that was actually me who posted that. They also extended their deadline to the 22nd I just found out from their Twitter. Starting to get spooked there too, they're one of my top choices.

4 minutes ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

Yeah, that was actually me who posted that. They also extended their deadline to the 22nd I just found out from their Twitter. Starting to get spooked there too, they're one of my top choices.

Yeah, I received an email from them about the extended deadline and took advantage of it. I applied there as a backup and because I wanted to explore the option of moving to a warmer climate (midwest winters suck), but I’ll likely be declining if they offer me an interview. 
Hope you get good news from them soon!

Does anyone know when we should expect a response from the University of Washington Ed.S./PhD program?

During my interview I was told mid-February. Were other people told the same? For sanity's sake, it would be wonderful if they could let us know this week :) ! Though, this is probably wishful thinking considering it's Thursday.

39 minutes ago, SchoolPsychProsp said:

Does anyone know when we should expect a response from the University of Washington Ed.S./PhD program?

During my interview I was told mid-February. Were other people told the same? For sanity's sake, it would be wonderful if they could let us know this week :) ! Though, this is probably wishful thinking considering it's Thursday.

I'm waiting on them too - their PhD program is my top choice so the wait is killing me. I was also told mid-February, but the original email I got when I submitted my application said their target date for final decisions is March 19th which seems way too late. Ugh!!