School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

On 2/16/2021 at 3:43 PM, JakiraJakira said:

I still have not heard back. If they don't get back to me by Friday I think I might email my POI and ask if decisions have already been sent out. 

It's my number one choice but the longer it has been since interview day I have been liking my offer from Indiana U. 

I have had several conversations about funding and the program with my POI since the initial offer and the overall program seems heavily aligned with my career goals. My worry about Indiana is that I don't know about funding yet since the fellowships I was nominated for have not been decided. I also still need to interview for assistantships (at places around the campus) as they get posted. 

Hope you hear back soon!

The program is my number one choice as well. Hopefully we hear back from them soon. So far I have been accepted to University of South Florida's School Psychology PhD program which I am very happy about. Wisconsin and USF actually collaborate on a variety of research projects which is pretty neat. While the research interests of faculty within the two programs seem to match, I feel like the practicum opportunities that are available at Wisconsin are a bit more desirable in regards to my interests.

49 minutes ago, Psych98 said:

The program is my number one choice as well. Hopefully we hear back from them soon. So far I have been accepted to University of South Florida's School Psychology PhD program which I am very happy about. Wisconsin and USF actually collaborate on a variety of research projects which is pretty neat. While the research interests of faculty within the two programs seem to match, I feel like the practicum opportunities that are available at Wisconsin are a bit more desirable in regards to my interests.

That’s great! 
I almost applied to USF but couldn’t bring myself to live in Florida for 4 years. With all the drama going down there in the last couple of years I just decided to stay clear. 

The School Mental Health collaborative was pretty tempting though. It almost swayed me. I just hate the heat, huge crowds of tourists and a heavily populated state full of ignorant people (COVID mostly) I wish I had the bravery of people willing to move there. 

Edited by JakiraJakira

39 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

That’s great! 
I almost applied to USF but couldn’t bring myself to live in Florida for 4 years. With all the drama going down there in the last couple of years I just decided to stay clear. 

The School Mental Health collaborative was pretty tempting though. It almost swayed me. I just hate the heat, huge crowds of tourists and a heavily populated state full of ignorant people (COVID mostly) I wish I had the bravery of people willing to move there. 

I don't believe it's a great look to generalize the intelligence (or lack there of) of an entire state. Ignorant people live everywhere. Perhaps for someone like me, who has lived all across the country and had the opportunity to be exposed to different types of people, statements like that are hurtful.

I hope wherever you chose to go to grad school really causes you to expand your horizons and your ability to understand diversity.

Just got an offer from the University of Washington -- my top choice. Just emailed other programs to reject offers/interviews, so hopefully that means good news for others. Best of luck to everyone for the rest of this application cycle, and thanks for being there! Grateful for this little community :) 

1 hour ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

I don't believe it's a great look to generalize the intelligence (or lack there of) of an entire state. Ignorant people live everywhere. Perhaps for someone like me, who has lived all across the country and had the opportunity to be exposed to different types of people, statements like that are hurtful.

I hope wherever you chose to go to grad school really causes you to expand your horizons and your ability to understand diversity.

That’s fair! I hope to experience a diversity of cultures and opinions during my graduate studies. I apologize for labeling the whole state as ignorant. I think I should have explained myself more. 

My problem isn’t with the diverse range of ideas down in Florida. It is with people who disregard others lives and safety. 
Some of my extended family live down there and their disregarding of COVID restrictions and lockdowns has made me fearful of catching COVID. 

I’ve been to Miami and it is a wonderful city.     Florida is a diverse state and people of many walks of life live there. 

I am choosing my graduate schools on places I would be willing to live for 4 years in safety, programs that have great fits with my professional goals, and programs with a social justice focus. I also cannot tolerate heat well and did not want to move to a state that rarely got snow. 

I wish you the best and am sorry for casting a wide label! I think my family drama has affected my view of that state. 

Thank you for saying something. I enjoy when others challenge my opinions and cause me to think! 

Edited by JakiraJakira

On 2/9/2021 at 10:50 AM, isimsek said:

Has anyone heard from University of Nevada Las Vegas or Northern Arizona University? 

I just heard back from UNLV last night about interviews for next week.

A week ago, I attended a group interview with 40 other students. We interviewed with faculty in groups of 10 and we never spoke with faculty one-on-one. Initially, I figured that a thank you note for each faculty member might not make sense/be expected due to the sheer size of the interview group but now I am having second thoughts. Should I send thank you emails? It is too late? Thanks in advance! :) 

49 minutes ago, ctrsca said:

A week ago, I attended a group interview with 40 other students. We interviewed with faculty in groups of 10 and we never spoke with faculty one-on-one. Initially, I figured that a thank you note for each faculty member might not make sense/be expected due to the sheer size of the interview group but now I am having second thoughts. Should I send thank you emails? It is too late? Thanks in advance! :) 

You don’t have to send thank you emails, if you don’t want to. They are going to make decisions without it and it will not affect you. Don’t stress over it. ?

On 2/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ashbee said:

I feel like this is more of a vent than an actual question... but how the hell do they make decisions on who to admit? I just had my first masters interview, and while I think I did well, I feel like they didn’t really provide an opportunity for me to show them why I’d be a great fit or what experiences have led me to become a school psychologist....

The interview had a section where the faculty talked for a while, then we did small group exercises with a student, got to ask students some questions, and then a 15 minute individual interview. I also know they’re interviewing around 45 people for 12 spots! 

I feel this!! I just had my first 15 minute interview. It felt SO quick and I don't feel that I got a good sense of the advisor or that they did with me. I feel like I wasn't as composed in my interview because I was so aware of how concise my answers needed to be. I much preferred my interviews that were at least 30-40 minutes. 

Hi ya'll! Hope everyone is holding up okay as acceptances come out. I have heard back so far from 3 schools: Tulane (accepted), USF (rejected after interview), UVA (rejected with no interview). I am waiting to hear back from University of Maryland (my top choice), UMass Boston, and Duquesne University (although their interview was only yesterday so it might take a couple more weeks). Has anyone else heard back from any of these schools?