School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

23 hours ago, mjk20 said:

hear you mdesm...

I felt the same in all of my interviews and in research fit, and was surprised when I didn't get the offers I planned, hoped, and worked for.

I keep telling myself that this was an insanely competitive cycle/broke records for applications! and also everyone is incredible and qualified who is interviewing, so from the admissions side it must be so hard to make a decision.  one of my friends is in a clinical phd program and helps with the admissions process, she says it has just been challenging this year bc they received ~600 applications for 4 spots, and everyone who interviews is great-- and everyone who interviews will do well if admitted. {ofc clinical is more competitive, but I think her insight is valuable/applicable}

it's hard to tell what it comes down to-- it seems to be personality, or what connection you had with the pi.  it's not that any of us did anything wrong it's just so competitive/seems to almost be up to chance this year. 

{also, I feel if I could have just gotten to be in person, I would have made a better connection and engagement with the program and individuals-- possibly resulting in different admission decisions. obviously these are unproductive thoughts, but i couldn't help thinking these things} 

sending you good energy on usf-- it is totally very very possible to come off the waitlist!  I would reach out and find out what number you are. 

wishing you all the best~

It makes me feel better that someone else is experiencing similar thoughts as me. Though admittedly, I wish everyone get into their top programs!

It just sucks because I cast a narrow net for applications this cycle, and I know I could have gotten accepted somewhere if I applied elsewhere. Hope you get the admissions results you desire!

12 hours ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

This process is really confusing. I wouldn't read too much into what a PI, or a grad student, or anyone on here tells you. The only thing that matters is a written commitment from a school.

I was fed a lot over this process, and I got my hopes up a lot. My advice is to temper your expectations and to not let what others say influence you. You're gonna land at the spot that's meant for you, and don't let yourself stray from that.

Same. I got told by a program director and my PI that my vitae is impressive and I’m an excellent fit for their program. I even met with both over zoom calls to talk more.

I got an interview, was told the same thing “You’re a strong candidate”. Two weeks later I received a rejection letter. 

Unfortunately, It all depends on the program. That program was #6 in the nation, so they’re bound to receive multiple strong candidates. Depends on so many different variables at the end. I don’t think anyone should get their hopes up like I did, but i’d say that’s still something you should be proud of hearing.

Best of luck everyone!

Edited by Mdesm

16 hours ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

Hey just wondering what everyone thinks of a faculty member calling you a strong candidate during an interview? 

Im not sure what to think 

I got told that by my POI at UW-Madison and was ultimately rejected. It essentially means you are in the running for a spot but I wouldn't assume or take that to mean a guaranteed acceptance. 

13 hours ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

This process is really confusing. I wouldn't read too much into what a PI, or a grad student, or anyone on here tells you. The only thing that matters is a written commitment from a school.

I was fed a lot over this process, and I got my hopes up a lot. My advice is to temper your expectations and to not let what others say influence you. You're gonna land at the spot that's meant for you, and don't let yourself stray from that.

This is great advice! Agreed. 

On 2/26/2021 at 7:36 PM, shutfreedom said:

Lol yes. What did they ask you? 

Lol. They asked "which one of the three unforgivable sins best describe you? ? Something along the lines of that. If I am remembering correctly. It was definitely about sins. I do think it was the unforgivable sins or some sort of sins relating to religion. What was your question?  

Greetings all,

For those who have been accepted into programs, congratulations! This cycle has been incredibly competitive and you should each be proud of your achievements, capabilities, and sacrifices. Be sure to take some time and reflect on this amazing opportunity, and of course, the journey towards reaching this accomplishment!

Now that many people are starting to hear back from schools and accept offers, I think it's an important time to help others out who may be waitlisted.  Many students this cycle will be waitlisted or rejected altogether. If you do accept an offer, please remember to follow up with programs you have been waitlisted/offered admissions to. Many of us have not been offered acceptance letters or have been wait listed to our top choices. In following up with programs, you can literally make someones dreams come true. I think this will be an excellent opportunity to pay it forward, and show curtesy to fellow applicants. In this case, a little help will go a very long way!

Congratulations once again! It's a pleasure to be surrounded with a community of future educator-clinicians. Best of luck on your future endeavors.

-Mdesm

Edited by Mdesm

1 hour ago, Mdesm said:

Greetings all,

For those who have been accepted into programs, congratulations! This cycle has been incredibly competitive and you should each be proud of your achievements, capabilities, and sacrifices. Be sure to take some time and reflect on this amazing opportunity, and of course, the journey towards reaching this accomplishment!

Now that many people are starting to hear back from schools and accept offers, I think it's an important time to help others out who may be waitlisted.  Many students this cycle will be waitlisted or rejected altogether. If you do accept an offer, please remember to follow up with programs you have been waitlisted/offered admissions to. Many of us have not been offered acceptance letters or have been wait listed to our top choices. In following up with programs, you can literally make someones dreams come true. I think this will be an excellent opportunity to pay it forward, and show curtesy to fellow applicants. In this case, a little help will go a very long way!

Congratulations once again! It's a pleasure to be surrounded with a community of future educator-clinicians. Best of luck on your future endeavors.

-Mdesm

Agreed! Thank you to everyone on this thread. You all have made this process much more bearable. 

I also want to add that if you have accepted an offer make sure to follow-up with any programs (even ones you have been offered an interview for) because that might open up an alternative interview spot for another applicant or help them offer a fellowship to another applicant! Don't feel obligated to rush if you haven't heard back about funding yet (I'm sure many of us are in that boat). 

Congratulations to everyone who has made it through this process. Regardless of whether you were accepted, waitlisted or rejected you should be proud that you applied during a super competitive cycle and gave it your best. 

I hope many of us end up at programs that are perfect for our career goals. 

On 2/19/2021 at 5:52 PM, MoNils said:

Hi ya'll! Hope everyone is holding up okay as acceptances come out. I have heard back so far from 3 schools: Tulane (accepted), USF (rejected after interview), UVA (rejected with no interview). I am waiting to hear back from University of Maryland (my top choice), UMass Boston, and Duquesne University (although their interview was only yesterday so it might take a couple more weeks). Has anyone else heard back from any of these schools? 

Do you mind sharing who your PI is for Tulane? 

4 hours ago, Cats101 said:

Still deciding. Waiting to hear about funding from one other school. Have you decided to attend?

I am in the same boat sort of! I am trying to decide between Berkeley and another program. I feel very fortunate to have a choice but its definitely difficult to decide!

6 minutes ago, coffeenpsych23 said:

Hi, has anyone heard back from university of houston? I am thinking of sending an email to ask about my status but am not sure if that would be appropriate

The COE grad school office said they haven’t sent out decisions yet. I emailed the program director yesterday to ask directly but haven’t heard anything yet...

I sent an email to ask about my status at a couple of programs. I am fairly certain I was rejected from both of them, but just wanted final confirmation. Here are the responses they sent back, in case anyone else still hasn't heard back from either of these schools. They both basically told me a whole lot of nothing. lol.

• UC Riverside (School Psychology): Thank you for contacting Graduate Admissions at the University of California, Riverside (UCR). To answer your question(s): Please note that during this time each academic program receives a large volume of applications and application materials.  It takes time to process each application, and for electronic and paper documents, time to sort, scan and mark each document as received into our online application system.  The program to which you applied is updating the information as quickly as possible.  Please be patient during this process and allow your program at least 10 business days from receipt of your application and/or materials before following up with an additional email or phone inquiry.

• Boston College (Counseling Psychology): Thank you for checking in. Faculty are still in the midst of reviewing applications and conducting interviews. If they are interested in interviewing you for the program, you will be notified via email in the next few weeks. Final decisions will be sent out by early March - you will receive an email prompting you to login to your account and view your decision. If you have any questions in the meantime, please let us know.

17 hours ago, sackofcrap said:

I sent an email to ask about my status at a couple of programs. I am fairly certain I was rejected from both of them, but just wanted final confirmation. Here are the responses they sent back, in case anyone else still hasn't heard back from either of these schools. They both basically told me a whole lot of nothing. lol.

• UC Riverside (School Psychology): Thank you for contacting Graduate Admissions at the University of California, Riverside (UCR). To answer your question(s): Please note that during this time each academic program receives a large volume of applications and application materials.  It takes time to process each application, and for electronic and paper documents, time to sort, scan and mark each document as received into our online application system.  The program to which you applied is updating the information as quickly as possible.  Please be patient during this process and allow your program at least 10 business days from receipt of your application and/or materials before following up with an additional email or phone inquiry.

• Boston College (Counseling Psychology): Thank you for checking in. Faculty are still in the midst of reviewing applications and conducting interviews. If they are interested in interviewing you for the program, you will be notified via email in the next few weeks. Final decisions will be sent out by early March - you will receive an email prompting you to login to your account and view your decision. If you have any questions in the meantime, please let us know.

For UCR, it sounds like you communicated with maybe the grad school versus the program directly? I know that they already sent out acceptances. If you interviewed, I wouldn’t assume rejection. You could be on a waitlist should someone not accept. 

3 hours ago, Schoolpsychish said:

For UCR, it sounds like you communicated with maybe the grad school versus the program directly? I know that they already sent out acceptances. If you interviewed, I wouldn’t assume rejection. You could be on a waitlist should someone not accept. 

Yeah, I got back in touch with UCR and they said they will be sending out decisions from March - May apparently. 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, Alliswan said:

Do you mind sharing who your PI is for Tulane? 

Sure, I have two who agreed to mentor me, so I can share by their program area and initials if that's okay? So in school psych I have SG and in developmental psych I have JM.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:46 PM, Mdesm said:

Greetings all,

-Mdesm

Yes, so true! I've heard a general guideline is to not hold onto more than two offers unless there is specific information missing (a visit is scheduled, funding is pending, etc.) or you are waiting to receive info from a program. 

Good luck hearing back and making decisions! 

On 3/1/2021 at 5:28 PM, Southwestteacher said:

Anyone else on here thinking of attending University of Montana? Would love to connect! 

Thought about it... but after talking to a few 1st and 3rd year students, the funding is inconsistent. One year you might get it, another you won’t. Same was said with professors. That was a factor for me :( 

4 hours ago, shutfreedom said:

Thought about it... but after talking to a few 1st and 3rd year students, the funding is inconsistent. One year you might get it, another you won’t. Same was said with professors. That was a factor for me :( 

Yeah so true. I was worried about this, too. I did get full funding and TA in my admissions letter, so I wasn't sure if once you were in the program there were other ways to secure funding for the next year. Some of the students I spoke said they were able to secure funding all 4 years, but definitely concerning.