School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

On 2/17/2021 at 8:42 PM, schoolpsychinprogress said:

Just got an offer from the University of Washington -- my top choice. Just emailed other programs to reject offers/interviews, so hopefully that means good news for others. Best of luck to everyone for the rest of this application cycle, and thanks for being there! Grateful for this little community :) 

Hey! Just wondering where else you got offers from?

59 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

I officially received an out of state tuition waiver from UGA so I accepted that and my offer of admission today! If anyone else accepted UGA feel free to message me! I’m so excited! 

Hey,

I received the same email today. I'm still waiting for one more interview before I accept, but it looks like UGA is going to be it. I'm also happy that most of our cohort will be coming straight from undergrad. I was worried about being the youngest one. Lol Feel free to message me, too!

Just now, Theloveguru said:

Hey,

I received the same email today. I'm still waiting for one more interview before I accept, but it looks like UGA is going to be it. I'm also happy that most of our cohort will be coming straight from undergrad. I was worried about being the youngest one. Lol Feel free to message me, too!

I’m actually not straight out of undergrad but I’m a baby, I’m still 22 :) good luck with your interview! 

On 2/23/2021 at 2:06 PM, Schoolpsch9286 said:

Does anyone have an idea when we’ll hear back with decisions from UMass Boston or UConn?

hello- 

i received my acceptance to uconn on feb 5th and my acceptance to umb today (feb 25th).  it seems uconn is sending individually based on pi, and umb as a group!

hope that helps!

So i’m a little sad but somewhat optimistic. I received interviews but was rejected to all schools except my top choice, where I was waitlisted. Here are the schools I applied for:

Michigan State University (PhD)

University of Virginia (PhD)

University of Florida (PhD)

University of Connecticut (PhD)

University of Maryland (PhD)

Really hoping I get off the waitlist from UF! I felt really confident about the interview and faculty research fit. Hope everyone is doing well and hear good results this cycle!

Edited by Mdesm

11 hours ago, Schoolpsch9286 said:

Thanks for the info (and congrats)!! Did umb come as a phone call or an email? 

e-mail ? thank you! if you're curious about your position at umb, i would email emily (the program coordinator!). they included in their email a comment asking us to make a decision in 48 hours if we are holding competing offers-- so i'm sure this will add pressure to make a choice sooner rather than later!

personally I will take a *tad* longer than this-- i just want to talk to the faculty in making this important decision (and within 48 hours of receiving this offer puts me at the weekend).  but i will be making a choice in a considerate timeframe/very very soon as I feel an ethical obligation to the fellow amazing applicants... i can't imagine holding onto something til april lol!

good luck 

Edited by mjk20

39 minutes ago, Mdesm said:

So i’m a little sad but somewhat optimistic. I received interviews but was rejected to all schools except my top choice, where I was waitlisted. Here are the schools I applied for:

Michigan State University (PhD)

University of Virginia (PhD)

University of Florida (PhD)

University of Connecticut (PhD)

University of Maryland (PhD)

Really hoping I get off the waitlist from UF! I felt really confident about the interview and faculty research fit. Hope everyone is doing well and hear good results this cycle!

hear you mdesm...

I felt the same in all of my interviews and in research fit, and was surprised when I didn't get the offers I planned, hoped, and worked for.

I keep telling myself that this was an insanely competitive cycle/broke records for applications! and also everyone is incredible and qualified who is interviewing, so from the admissions side it must be so hard to make a decision.  one of my friends is in a clinical phd program and helps with the admissions process, she says it has just been challenging this year bc they received ~600 applications for 4 spots, and everyone who interviews is great-- and everyone who interviews will do well if admitted. {ofc clinical is more competitive, but I think her insight is valuable/applicable}

it's hard to tell what it comes down to-- it seems to be personality, or what connection you had with the pi.  it's not that any of us did anything wrong it's just so competitive/seems to almost be up to chance this year. 

{also, I feel if I could have just gotten to be in person, I would have made a better connection and engagement with the program and individuals-- possibly resulting in different admission decisions. obviously these are unproductive thoughts, but i couldn't help thinking these things} 

sending you good energy on usf-- it is totally very very possible to come off the waitlist!  I would reach out and find out what number you are. 

wishing you all the best~

26 minutes ago, mjk20 said:

e-mail ? thank you! if you're curious about your position at umb, i would email emily (the program coordinator!). they included in their email a comment asking us to make a decision in 48 hours if we are holding competing offers-- so i'm sure this will add pressure to make a choice sooner rather than later!

personally I will take a *tad* longer than this-- i just want to talk to the faculty in making this important decision (and within 48 hours of receiving this offer puts me at the weekend).  but i will be making a choice in a considerate timeframe/very very soon as I feel an ethical obligation to the fellow amazing applicants... i can't imagine holding onto something til april lol!

good luck 

Thanks so much, this was very helpful!! Good luck to you in the decision making process!

17 minutes ago, mjk20 said:

good luck 

I feel that so much about holding it till April. Unfortunately, I may have to do that with my offers since I have yet to hear back from the assistantships I applied to or fellowships. My POI said we would definitely know by early april and I have a favorite so if anyone is waiting to hear back from a program that does not guarantee funding to all students, I would be patient if you are on the waitlist!

You'll never know if a spot opens up. 

1 minute ago, JakiraJakira said:

I feel that so much about holding it till April. Unfortunately, I may have to do that with my offers since I have yet to hear back from the assistantships I applied to or fellowships. My POI said we would definitely know by early april and I have a favorite so if anyone is waiting to hear back from a program that does not guarantee funding to all students, I would be patient if you are on the waitlist!

You'll never know if a spot opens up. 

of-course, sometimes you just do what you have to... funding is essential.

38 minutes ago, mjk20 said:

of-course, sometimes you just do what you have to... funding is essential.

Yep! Wasn’t trying to countermand what you said. 
I just know that the majority of programs in school psych don’t guarantee funding so it may be a little bit after our offer that we hear back with our financial package. 

On 2/24/2021 at 2:53 PM, sackofcrap said:

I'm not 100% sure yet that i will accept it. Still waiting to hear from 1 more school. But I have to say, I was genuinely impressed with the other students that I interviewed with (maybe you were one of them). I would be excited to be classmates with any of them! Congrats to you as well.

I was really impressed by everyone! There wasn't a single person in my group who didn't know their stuff. Whether you end up at CU Denver or elsewhere, I hope you get your top choice! :)

I just wanted to ask everyone who interviewed, were any of you asked weird questions by faculty? One school asked me a weird question in my interview that had nothing to do with school psychology and my reaction was like ??

4 hours ago, Schoolzy said:

I just wanted to ask everyone who interviewed, were any of you asked weird questions by faculty? One school asked me a weird question in my interview that had nothing to do with school psychology and my reaction was like ??

Lol yes. What did they ask you? 

7 hours ago, LC21 said:

Does anyone have any insight to give on group interviews for EdS programs? I have not had a group interview yet and I don't really know what to expect!

Yes. I just helped facilitate one today. It’s more of seeing how well you do and stand out with peers. We want to see how you/if you collaborate with others. If you’re courteous or you dominate the discussions. 

2 hours ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

Hey just wondering what everyone thinks of a faculty member calling you a strong candidate during an interview? 

Im not sure what to think 

This process is really confusing. I wouldn't read too much into what a PI, or a grad student, or anyone on here tells you. The only thing that matters is a written commitment from a school.

I was fed a lot over this process, and I got my hopes up a lot. My advice is to temper your expectations and to not let what others say influence you. You're gonna land at the spot that's meant for you, and don't let yourself stray from that.