School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

43 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Waitlisted at UF. Highly considering accepting my UGA offer. 

If UF is your top choice, I wouldn't give up yet that you won't get in. 

We still have a little under 2 months before the deadline and I am sure that at least a couple of people will reject their offers before then (unless you are admitted to a specific POI which might work differently).

Almost every program has at least 1-2 acceptances reject their offers every year. 

Best of luck!

I reached out to Syracuse to inquire about my application (I still hadn't heard anything) and they responded saying that if I haven't heard anything, I was still being considered. Has anyone interviewed for Syracuse yet?

1 minute ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

guessing its rude to ask how high I am on the waitlist?

Seeing a bunch of people got waitlisted today...i would prefer a rejection if theres no shot for me. 

Also the UF coordinator spelled my name wrong in the email...rubs me the wrong way 

I don't think it's rude to ask at all! I would definitely ask because if you are high then there is a very good chance that at least a couple people who were offered won't accept. 

1 hour ago, gros8433 said:

I reached out to Syracuse to inquire about my application (I still hadn't heard anything) and they responded saying that if I haven't heard anything, I was still being considered. Has anyone interviewed for Syracuse yet?

I’m really confused on Syracuse’s admissions process. It’s not typical to have interview days (18th and 19th) and then say that they are still considering applicants that weren’t invited for an interview. It just seem weird to me. 

9 minutes ago, mardou said:

I’m really confused on Syracuse’s admissions process. It’s not typical to have interview days (18th and 19th) and then say that they are still considering applicants that weren’t invited for an interview. It just seem weird to me. 

So they definitely had the interviews the 18th and 19th? I can assume I got rejected then

2 hours ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

guessing its rude to ask how high I am on the waitlist?

Seeing a bunch of people got waitlisted today...i would prefer a rejection if theres no shot for me. 

Also the UF coordinator spelled my name wrong in the email...rubs me the wrong way 

I'm interested to see when UF acceptances and (presumably) rejections start to be reported. I wonder if it's common to go wait list first or if others just aren't on GradCafe.

I was also placed on the wait list, for the EdS track. 

Just now, KamEBee said:

I'm interested to see when UF acceptances and (presumably) rejections start to be reported. I wonder if it's common to go wait list first or if others just aren't on GradCafe.

I was also placed on the wait list, for the EdS track. 

So I did email the coordinator and ask how the waitlist works this is what he sent. 

"We don’t actually rank order applicants. When we get an opening we go back into the pool and make decisions. When I have more information for you, I will let you know as soon as possible."

16 minutes ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

So I did email the coordinator and ask how the waitlist works this is what he sent. 

"We don’t actually rank order applicants. When we get an opening we go back into the pool and make decisions. When I have more information for you, I will let you know as soon as possible."

I was thinking about emailing too so thanks for sharing. I don’t like that... I think I’ll end accepting my UGA offer, I just want to do it when I’m sure I’m not making an emotional decision. 

Hi, 

I am curious how you inquired about your waitlist status without sounding too pushy? I just received a waitlist notification from my top choice and was hoping to follow up to inquire for more information and hopefully learn of my spot on the list. I do have another offer that I am strongly considering. 

Edited by Southwestteacher

3 hours ago, Littlebiggieman said:

Waitlisted at UW-Madison. Heard that they're only accepting 4 students this year, so it still feels like an accomplishment! 

Hope you get in! Wisconsin has a great program. Sad they are only accepting that small number of students. It was my top choice. 

I haven't heard anything yet but because my fiancé was not accepted into the full time MSW program I think I'll probably go with another offer if I get funding. He got into Buffalo, Ohio State and Indiana University (He actually got into 8/9 programs and was only rejected from our top choice...Wisconsin) 

2 hours ago, rachaelpfanz said:

I was thinking about emailing too so thanks for sharing. I don’t like that... I think I’ll end accepting my UGA offer, I just want to do it when I’m sure I’m not making an emotional decision. 

Did you end up finding funding at UGA? I remember you hesitating before since they did not offer it at the beginning. 

Everyone who is focused on Syracuse. I think Syracuse may still be considering applicants even though they had their interviews because they only invited like 15 of us to interview. Other PhD programs invited like 25 so there is a chance they may have to look at the people who didn’t interview, incase all 15 of us or most of us decide to go somewhere else. If you didn’t get an invite it shouldn’t mean you are out but they definitely had their interviews. Also, they may have chosen to send a small amount of  interviews because they may be choosing a small cohort due to Covid. I have had a few interviews like that. 

Edited by Schoolzy

38 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

Did you end up finding funding at UGA? I remember you hesitating before since they did not offer it at the beginning. 

Not yet but my PI coincidentally emailed me today saying she submitted my out of state Tuition waiver today and expects I will get it. And she’s still working on assistantships for me. So that eases my funding worries a bit. 

Edited by rachaelpfanz

1 hour ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Not yet but my PI coincidentally emailed me today saying she submitted my out of state Tuition waiver today and expects I will get it. And she’s still working on assistantships for me. So that eases my funding worries a bit. 

That’s awesome! 
I wish my POI was able to find me assistantships. 
For Ohio State I applied for positions with my graduate application (and I’ll get a notification for interviews and what not soon)

At Indiana University I was nominated for fellowships but any assistantships (I’ve applied for 3 different ones) need to be completed by the applicant. 

1 hour ago, JakiraJakira said:

That’s awesome! 
I wish my POI was able to find me assistantships. 
For Ohio State I applied for positions with my graduate application (and I’ll get a notification for interviews and what not soon)

At Indiana University I was nominated for fellowships but any assistantships (I’ve applied for 3 different ones) need to be completed by the applicant. 

I'm a bit confused/disappointed with the funding options at OSU. Are you still considering going there? 

31 minutes ago, schoolpsychd said:

I'm a bit confused/disappointed with the funding options at OSU. Are you still considering going there? 

If I can’t get funding at another choice yes because it is in state for me. 

The faculty at OSU have been very distant and I only really had 15 minutes to interview with them since I couldn’t attend interview day.

I asked about funding to my advisor and she just told me that I should contact the people I applied to work with and that only one student got a fellowship (I’m assuming not you or me). It took a week for her to get back to me and then she’s ghosted me since. 

I emailed the GA manager and they told me that interview invitations would be going out soon (not sure if it’s to my email or the OSU one) and that decisions on funding would be decided by April 15th. 

So essentially if you don’t get funding from the department you can’t get it around the university? Or at least I have no idea where to look. 

The GA stipends and tuition waivers are miles ahead of Indiana (If OSU gives me one) but honestly with my interactions with the faculty at OSU I’m not sure if it would be the best program for me. I don’t want to have to follow up 3 times to get an email response to a question. 

Best of luck on finding funding! I have other issues with OSU (about practicum, research and faculty involvement in student mentoring) that make it my #4 assuming all the schools I haven’t heard back from or are waitlisted at offer me a spot. 

Edited by JakiraJakira

37 minutes ago, schoolpsychd said:

I’m most likely accepting my offer from Indiana University if I land one of the assistantships I applied for. 
The opportunity to work with Dr Shriberg in his Social Justice lab (Plus he has been so nice and helpful during the entire admissions process) and work with Dr. Ormiston in her action based Trauma sensitive school mental health research is hard to pass up. 

Not to mention the opportunity to minor in Counseling Psychology or Educational Leadership within my studies or the vast array of practicum opportunities available in the program. 

I just really felt at home talking to them and all my interviews were super casual and informative. I even talked with Dr Shriberg for an hour (much longer than we were allotted) about social justice issues in education. 
The current students are super friendly and it just feels like one big family. 

I did not get that vibe from Ohio State. The faculty just seemed way too busy to have time to talk or help you get to know them (I want to make sure I find the right mentor). The students seemed nice for the most part though.