School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

2 hours ago, MoNils said:

Hi ya'll! Hope everyone is holding up okay as acceptances come out. I have heard back so far from 3 schools: Tulane (accepted), USF (rejected after interview), UVA (rejected with no interview). I am waiting to hear back from University of Maryland (my top choice), UMass Boston, and Duquesne University (although their interview was only yesterday so it might take a couple more weeks). Has anyone else heard back from any of these schools? 

I got rejected from UM without an interview (email from coordinator said I didn’t take enough psych courses even though I have a Minor in psych) 

UVA is probably the most competitive PhD in school psych and they rarely take people without a masters. 

Congrats on Tulane! Hope you hear back from Maryland soon. 

20 hours ago, psych-school-123 said:

Hello(: Did anybody here interview for the University of Washington and haven't gotten a response? If we haven't gotten a decision by now, does that mean we got rejected (or waitlisted)? ? 

I interviewed as well and haven’t heard anything at all...I’m assuming that’s probably not great news for us ?

Hiya! :) Is anyone familiar with when I can expect to hear back from Seattle University and/or Brooklyn College regarding interview invitations to their EdS and master's programs respectively? This is my first time applying so I'm not acquainted with admissions timelines. Sorry if this is OT, hopefully this is the right place to post! 

Update for people waiting on UF decisions. I talked with a current student this morning and she said that they are planning to send out acceptances this week! I'm not sure what the post in the results page was about, but I would assume they just put the wrong school or something because they don't admit by PI so all of the acceptances should come around the same time. 

23 hours ago, Schoolpsyclops said:

Has anyone heard re NC State’s masters program?

I had not heard anything either, but emailed the program director Thursday (2/18) and learned that they have already done interviews & recommended students for admission. He said they had a large number of qualified applicants and a limited number of spots. So if you haven't heard anything, be prepared for a rejection. :/// 

2 hours ago, Sunkay123 said:

Update for people waiting on UF decisions. I talked with a current student this morning and she said that they are planning to send out acceptances this week! I'm not sure what the post in the results page was about, but I would assume they just put the wrong school or something because they don't admit by PI so all of the acceptances should come around the same time. 

This totally made my day, thank you for sharing!!! 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:21 PM, pomeranians said:

Hiya! :) Is anyone familiar with when I can expect to hear back from Seattle University and/or Brooklyn College regarding interview invitations to their EdS and master's programs respectively? This is my first time applying so I'm not acquainted with admissions timelines. Sorry if this is OT, hopefully this is the right place to post! 

Reposting to let anyone lurking know that interview invites for Brooklyn College were sent out today!

On 2/19/2021 at 7:56 PM, JakiraJakira said:

I got rejected from UM without an interview (email from coordinator said I didn’t take enough psych courses even though I have a Minor in psych) 

UVA is probably the most competitive PhD in school psych and they rarely take people without a masters. 

Congrats on Tulane! Hope you hear back from Maryland soon. 

Maryland is super competitive as well! I found out today I was waitlisted there, which is a bummer, and that I got an acceptance at Duquesne too. I'm not sure how to proceed since it's out of my hands now. I will probably wait another few weeks to see if Maryland gets back to me hopefully with an offer and moves me off the waitlist.

Good luck to you on your journey :)

Edited by MoNils

1 hour ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

Anyone interviewed at northeastern yet or is this Friday their only interview day? For MS/CAGS

I’m pretty sure Friday is their only interview day

6 minutes ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

Thats so strange... looks like from the list of faculty interviews they would only be interviewing 6 people. 

Unless maybe they sent different emails to different groups of applicants? Im probably overanalyzing but just curious. 

Pretty sure they sent to different groups. They told me I’m in the “afternoon group” from 1-4 and then it says says that I’m in interview group “c”. So I’m guessing they’re at least interviewing 24 people per session (probably more since most master programs I’ve been interviewing for have had quite a few....) 

Edited by Ashbee

Just now, Ashbee said:

Pretty sure they sent to different groups. They told me I’m in the “afternoon group” from 1-4 and then it says says that I’m in interview group “c”. So I’m guessing they’re at least interviewing 24 people (probably more since most master programs I’ve been interviewing for have had quite a few....) 

Ok interesting mine is from 1-3:30 

I am group H 

Pretty sure I read in their handbook they admit 20 people to masters each round so I guess thats good odds. 

1 hour ago, MoNils said:

Maryland is super competitive as well! I found out today I was waitlisted there, which is a bummer, and that I got an acceptance at Duquesne too. I'm not sure how to proceed since it's out of my hands now. I will probably wait another few weeks to see if Maryland gets back to me hopefully with an offer and moves me off the waitlist.

Good luck to you on your journey :)

Dang. I hope you find out whether you were accepted or not. Maryland has a great program. 

Thank you! I'll need the luck haha. 

10 minutes ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

Ok interesting mine is from 1-3:30 

I am group H 

Pretty sure I read in their handbook they admit 20 people to masters each round so I guess thats good odds. 

Just to clarify I meant at least 24 per session! Just from looking at the schedule, they probably have spots open for up to 70 people total. It’s definitely nerve racking how many people these programs invite to interview! Never seems like great odds 

My fiancé was rejected from UW-Madison's full time MSW program and admitted to the part time one so even though it looks grim that I will get in there it is looking more and more likely that I will go to my #2 Indiana University. I don't think I could ask my fiancé to spend 4 years getting a MSW so I can go to Wisconsin when Indiana University is just as great of an opportunity for my goals. 

My fiancé has already been admitted there and I've applied to 3 separate assistantships that my POI thinks I am heavily competitive for (2 of which are currently held by school psych students going on internship). The assistantships only cover 10 credits out of 12 a semester so while I might have to take out some loans or ask for help from my parents it still sounds like a pretty good deal. The other options are taking two 37.5% FTE assistantships which is 30 hours a week at minimum, fellowships at the school of ed and university graduate school level or finding work on a professor's grant that would cover 2 credit hours a semester. 

It may be worth taking out a small amount of loans to attend my dream program if I can't find additional funding to make up that 20%. It would only be 7k in tuition fees a year to go (plus the stipend is smaller so I may have to do side jobs) but since we are eligible for loan forgiveness, I think it isn't the end of the world. 

Plus, if you look at how much PhD Psych students (surveyed by APPIC) took out in loans for graduate school only 41% of students took out less than 30k in loans for grad school. 

Crazy Debt.PNG

Just now, Ashbee said:

Just to clarify I meant at least 24 per session! Just from looking at the schedule, they probably have spots open for up to 70 people total. It’s definitely nerve racking how many people these programs invite to interview! Never seems like great odds 

Ok sorry that doesnt make sense 

How many people are in your interview group? 

There is no way 24 people are in my group since only 6 names are listed for a faculty interview. Maybe mine has 6 people because it is the last one? 

Just now, schoolpsych1122 said:

Ok sorry that doesnt make sense 

How many people are in your interview group? 

There is no way 24 people are in my group since only 6 names are listed for a faculty interview. Maybe mine has 6 people because it is the last one? 

There are 8 sessions throughout the afternoon. Each are 15 minutes and each one has 5-6 people for individual interviews (mine is during session 3 with 5 people). It seems that they’re rotating who is attending sessions and who is in an individual interview. If 6 people interview for each of the 8 sessions that would allow 48 people to Interview in the morning and 48 people in the evening max. 

Just now, Ashbee said:

There are 8 sessions throughout the afternoon. Each are 15 minutes and each one has 5-6 people for individual interviews (mine is during session 3 with 5 people). It seems that they’re rotating who is attending sessions and who is in an individual interview. If 6 people interview for each of the 8 sessions that would allow 48 people to Interview in the morning and 48 people in the evening max. 

Ah ok thanks for explaining!!