School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

For those who have received an offer but have not secured funding (particularly for year 1), what are you going to do? Part-time job, loans, look for external funding? Interested to hear perspectives. Seems like years 2-4 are easier to find funding, so I am more focused on that first year.

2 hours ago, gros8433 said:

For those who have received an offer but have not secured funding (particularly for year 1), what are you going to do? Part-time job, loans, look for external funding? Interested to hear perspectives. Seems like years 2-4 are easier to find funding, so I am more focused on that first year.

I would reach out to your POI about departments on campus that might have assistantship openings or even look for a university job board. I think I know which university you are talking about and I am surprised they don't offer funding to students for the first year (I heard from a current student they offered funding to pretty much everyone for school psych)

12 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

I would reach out to your POI about departments on campus that might have assistantship openings or even look for a university job board. I think I know which university you are talking about and I am surprised they don't offer funding to students for the first year (I heard from a current student they offered funding to pretty much everyone for school psych)

I think the lack of funding the first year is unusual for them, but I believe it is due to COVID.

1 hour ago, coffeenpsych23 said:

I havent heard from umass boston, university of houston, illinois state, loyola yet

I haven't heard from UH either, I'll probably email them Monday if they don't reach out this week!

1 hour ago, justtryingtopsych said:

Saw two posts about Montana offers being made- one with AG and one that didn't say- if that was you could you post your PI initials also? Thanks! 

Hi, you can private message me if you would like! I was one of the Montana posts on results. 

Wondering if anyone has heard anything from the St. John's University PsyD program? I was invited for the interview, but haven't gotten an admissions decision yet. It's still very early, I know. Just wondering if decisions are going out yet.

2 minutes ago, ctrsca said:

Congrats!!! I was accepted as well - so excited :) 

I'm not 100% sure yet that i will accept it. Still waiting to hear from 1 more school. But I have to say, I was genuinely impressed with the other students that I interviewed with (maybe you were one of them). I would be excited to be classmates with any of them! Congrats to you as well.

1 hour ago, Ashbee said:

Hey everyone.... I have my interview for my top program on Friday. Those of you that have been accepted to programs already, what do you think made you stand out? 

First off, I’d like to say that we all stick out differently, so if you are trying to look at your chances, that’s really hard to say. You got the interview, so you stuck out A LOT. For me, there were a few things that made me stick out to the schools that I was accepted to.  First, were my research experiences. I have been working in research for over three years now since I graduated and have been able to do a lot of task that school psychologist perform, for years now. I know this gave me an edge because majority of people can’t get that experience without an Ed.S or higher and it was brought up in all my interviews. Also, I would definitely say how passionate I am about my research interest and goals. I am not sure how you chose your schools because many people do it differently but I really focused on schools who had similar research interest as me and I mean close lol not 100% but a good match and not where it seemed too broad to match. I chose schools that could honestly prepare me for my long term goals as well and who’s entire faculty could teach me something to take away that fit my interest and goals. Also, my research interest and my passion for school psychology also related to some of my experiences in life and why I came into this field because of that. I was able to explain to all the schools that I chose how I saw them being a great fit for me. I didn’t pick schools because of their rank or famous faculty. I chose where I could see myself thrive and explained that to them with the examples of why I chose their school. I know others will say something different or similar but that is what I think made me stand out. I hope this helps. I hope this wasn’t too much. Good luck!

Also, if you don’t have research experience, it’s okay. If the school matches your goals and interest you should be fine as well but PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT TO THEM!

Edited by Schoolzy

2 hours ago, Ashbee said:

Hey everyone.... I have my interview for my top program on Friday. Those of you that have been accepted to programs already, what do you think made you stand out? 

And to add onto this, you can imagine how I limited myself in terms of how many schools I could apply to. My experiences is different from yours so self-reflect and make those connections to make you stand out. Also, any of you who are reading your faculty’s papers, I hope that you are trying to connect your interest in what you want to do to their papers instead of trying to remember what their study or paper was about because I did that and that’s how I started genuine conversations to the point where my interviews didn’t even feel like an interview anymore. Take the information that interest you and elaborate off of it. CONNECT YOUR ENTIRE SELF TO IT LOL and don’t forget your application because I’m sure you wrote some amazing things in your resume and SOP. I really do hope I am helping you guys ?.

Edited by Schoolzy

4 hours ago, Ashbee said:

I've noticed that with the schools that I got into vs. the one that I got waitlisted post-interview that I was MUCH more relaxed and myself in the interviews. I do not typically feel like this happens for me...usually I am nervous and stumble during my interviews. However, in the schools that I got into I felt like I really connected with the faculty and it was a mutual fit and it felt like more of a conversation. At one of my top choices, I am an alternate and I felt very nervous and knew I messed up during the interview. I think timing was a big part of this too because my interview was only 15 minutes for that one so I felt pressured to answer quickly/concisely. I know this is probably not that helpful, but really try to be your self and relax and think about the answers. I also created questions based on looking at the program manual and my PI's research that I really wanted to know the answer to instead of just asking questions to have questions prepared. 

GOOD LUCK!

I just heard back from a school and I got an email that said:

"we are pleased to offer you alternate (waitlist) status with regard to admission for 2021. Please notify us (yes or no) if you accept or decline our offer of alternate status as soon as possible, but no later than April 1"

"you will be recommended for admission should space become available"

"please make tentative plans to be available for program orientation"

I am so confused as to what this means. Is this just a very nice way of telling me I'm waitlisted? Does this mean that if I said yes to this school, I am declaring my intent to attend even though I may never even get in? Or if they were to tell me I was accepted, from there I would still need to declare my intent to attend? (P.S. I had also interviewed with this school last week)

3 minutes ago, CHI MC said:

I just heard back from a school and I got an email that said:

"we are pleased to offer you alternate (waitlist) status with regard to admission for 2021. Please notify us (yes or no) if you accept or decline our offer of alternate status as soon as possible, but no later than April 1"

"you will be recommended for admission should space become available"

"please make tentative plans to be available for program orientation"

I am so confused as to what this means. Is this just a very nice way of telling me I'm waitlisted? Does this mean that if I said yes to this school, I am declaring my intent to attend even though I may never even get in? Or if they were to tell me I was accepted, from there I would still need to declare my intent to attend? (P.S. I had also interviewed with this school last week)

This is the same as a waitlist. Most schools I have received this notification from use alternate for waitlist. If you say yes you are choosing to remain on the waitlist--not committing to anything. 

Also, sometimes you can ask for your position on the waitlist. If they asked you to remain available for an orientation..maybe you are high on the waitlist? But I do not know that for sure! 

Edited by Southwestteacher

On 2/17/2021 at 5:42 PM, schoolpsychinprogress said:

Just got an offer from the University of Washington -- my top choice. Just emailed other programs to reject offers/interviews, so hopefully that means good news for others. Best of luck to everyone for the rest of this application cycle, and thanks for being there! Grateful for this little community :) 

Hey there! I got into UW too. I'm wondering how you're planning on paying for the program because I'm a little stressed about it. Were you offered anything? Just curious.