School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

On 3/10/2021 at 11:29 AM, mardou said:

First off, congratulations to everyone that got accepted to schools and to those who are waiting, I hope you hear some good news soon! Anyways, this has been such an amazing forum where everyone has been super supportive and helpful.

I am currently struggling on choosing which program I want to attend (Tulane and UF). Neither schools were my top choices when I started applying but after talking with other grad students and my PIs, I'm looking forward to going to either one. I want to make a decision soon because I know there are people on the waitlists hoping to hear back and I want to finally commit next week.

My main focus is research and hopefully academia in the future and both programs offer me many research opportunities that will be a great help in the future. I secured funding in both schools so I'm not worried about that either. However, my research goals differ between both schools. My main research focus is intervention and prevention. At Tulane I would be more focused on self-regulation and executive functioning whereas at UF my research would be more focused on reading and math intervention. Two different things but I'm interested in both. 

The one thing about UF is just that I can't see myself living in Florida for the next four/five years and for Tulane my research interest has always been more towards academic intervention even though I have a lot of previous research experience with executive functioning and early childhood adversity.

I guess my dilemma is location vs research interests. What do you think is more important for ya'll, location or research? 

Sorry for the long rant, but it feels good to let it out lol :) 

UF is actually in a college town with a very different vibe (it is surrounded by rural areas though). Having said that, research fit AND productivity are both important. You should check how productive your potential PIs are and how much doc students are involved in publications. Some labs have a more seniority structure, which means you don't get authorship until you're more advanced. It is also helpful to know if you get to be involved in other professors' research as your RAship may not be with your academic advisor all the time. Also, your PI's reputation trumps your program's reputation. Any external connection/collaboration depends more on your PI than your program.  

You should also check out their clinical experiences. I am from a research-heavy program but ultimately most graduates end up in practice (even those who were initially more interested in research). Having good clinical experiences will help you apply for internship in clinical settings if your goals change or if you want to consider academia in AMCs. 

1 hour ago, transfatfree said:

Realistically, even with an EdS degree with full credit transfer, a PhD in School Psych can still take 4 years to complete. APA accreditation requires coursework that is not typically in EdS degrees and can take an additional 2 years. Before applying for internship, you will have to pass a comprehensive exam and propose your dissertation (maybe also complete a master's thesis depending on the program). So a PhD in Counseling Psych for 5 years may not be a bad bet, especially if you want more clinical exp to prepare for a career in clinical settings.

I know this but like I mentioned in my previous post it depends on the school. Some schools will accept a master thesis and credits, where applicants don’t have to spend the entire 5-6 years, like 3 years instead. Since we aren’t sure if this person applied to both counseling and school psychology programs it all depends on the school he/she chose. There are many options for this person. They just have to look into the schools that they are applying to.  There are some schools that will not make you start over completely.

Also, from what this person wrote I am not completely sure in terms of the other programs how many credits they have taken. If they accepted more credits and this person is spending less time in that program but has to take on a lot of debt then this is a choice we can’t really help with. It will come down to time or debt and which ever is a priority to this person. 

Edited by Schoolzy

Greetings everyone! Just curious if anyone would be able to assist me with identifying schools for the next application cycle.

My research interests primarily involve improving the social-emotional well being of children with neurodevelopmental disabilities (ADHD, ASD, etc...). In particular, how classroom factors such as educational assessment, peer victimization, and emotional regulation affect academic and social functioning. I’m also interested in the development and progression of RTI programs in irritable children.

Does anyone happen to know of any School Psychology programs or PI who may be involved in similar work? Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Mdesm

1 hour ago, Mdesm said:

Greetings everyone! Just curious if anyone would be able to assist me with identifying schools for the next application cycle.

My research interests primarily involve improving the social-emotional well being of children with neurodevelopmental disabilities (ADHD, ASD, etc...). In particular, how classroom factors such as educational assessment, peer victimization, and emotional regulation affect academic and social functioning. I’m also interested in the development and progression of RTI programs in irritable children.

Does anyone happen to know of any School Psychology programs or PI who may be involved in similar work? Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

I don't know about PIs involved in that work but when I was looking for schools to apply to, I went on the NASP website and looked at the schools that offered school psych PhD programs. I went on every website and read about every professor until I found the professors that had similar interests as me. I wrote the programs down so I could remember and then compared all the programs so that I could decide which ones I wanted to apply to. Maybe doing it that way would be helpful to find a PI that you could work with!

12 hours ago, SaSimon said:

Hi! How was the interview? Are you referring to the PsyD program? Any tips for the interview?

Hi! I'm referring to the EDS program. The interview was pre recorded followed by a live Q&A. The questions were relatively general (just trying to get to know you and see why you chose the field). I would say to be yourself! You got the interview so they are already interested in you! Just show them why you would be a great fit! 

1 hour ago, Mdesm said:

Thanks everyone.

I also have a research interest in promoting social-emotional well-being. These are the programs I am aware of that have faculty members researching in areas similar to yours. I'll note faculty where I remember but I am mostly glancing at my list from last summer when I was making my short list of programs to apply to. If a program is here I know at least 1 professor has research interest related to Social-emotional wellbeing.

UMass-Boston: Dr. Bender and Dr. Daniels

U of Arizona: Dr. Yoon

UC-Riverside:

UC-Berkley

U of Northern Colorado: Dr. Bardos (he also has a disability focus on his research)

UW-Madison

U of South Florida

Northern Illinois University

Loyola U Chicago

Ball State

University of Mass-Amherst

U of Maryland College Park

Michigan State

U of Minnesota

U of Buffalo

U of Nebraska Lincoln

Kent State

U of Utah

There might be more but this is just what I had on my list!

2 hours ago, Mdesm said:

Thanks everyone.

Many of the faculty members at University of Utah do interesting research on ASD. You may want to check that program out. 

51 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

I also have a research interest in promoting social-emotional well-being. These are the programs I am aware of that have faculty members researching in areas similar to yours. I'll note faculty where I remember but I am mostly glancing at my list from last summer when I was making my short list of programs to apply to. If a program is here I know at least 1 professor has research interest related to Social-emotional wellbeing.

UMass-Boston: Dr. Bender and Dr. Daniels

U of Arizona: Dr. Yoon

UC-Riverside:

UC-Berkley

U of Northern Colorado: Dr. Bardos (he also has a disability focus on his research)

UW-Madison

U of South Florida

Northern Illinois University

Loyola U Chicago

Ball State

University of Mass-Amherst

U of Maryland College Park

Michigan State

U of Minnesota

U of Buffalo

U of Nebraska Lincoln

Kent State

U of Utah

There might be more but this is just what I had on my list!

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.

Hi all!

I've been reading and finding this forum super helpful and this is my first time posting. 

Firstly, congratulations to all of you who got interviews/offers for these highly competitive PhD programs. 

I've been put in the waiting list for the University of Buffalo, which is my preferred choice and I was wondering if anyone here got an offer and is considering rejecting it? ? 

On 3/8/2021 at 6:46 PM, rafgpsych said:

Anyone else waiting to hear back from Cal State Los Angeles? They said it could take up to a month for us to find out whether we have been accepted and I feel like that is cutting it very short. 

Yeah I am waiting. I keep refreshing the GET page over and over again.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:07 AM, The_Garnet_Comet said:

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear from a couple now too. UNLV and Winthrop most notably. I'm just anxious because I need to start getting the wheels in motion to relocate.

I just heard back from UNLV for the Ed.S program today regarding acceptance!

11 hours ago, MCTSE said:

I just heard back from UNLV for the Ed.S program today regarding acceptance!

Yeah! I also heard yesterday about my acceptance there. It's a huge move as my wife and I are in Florida, but there's a great opportunity at UNLV for me so I'm gonna visit and meet with some people asap.

Congrats! We did it!

On 3/8/2021 at 11:07 AM, Sunkay123 said:

I was notified via phone call a month ago that I was on the waitlist for a program. Would it be okay to email and let them know that I am still interested and ask if there are any updates, or should I just keep waiting?

Hi so this might be the only thing I could actually help with...lol. I would definitely reach out and tell them you’re still interested. Give them some updates too, if any, regarding academic achievements. That’s what i’m doing at the University of Florida and they seemed to appreciate it. It tells the university you’re being productive as well.

best of luck!

Edited by Mdesm

23 hours ago, Mdesm said:

Hi so this might be the only thing I could actually help with...lol. I would definitely reach out and tell them you’re still interested. Give them some updates too, if any, regarding academic achievements. That’s what i’m doing at the University of Florida and they seemed to appreciate it. It tells the university you’re being productive as well.

best of luck!

Just curious since I am on the waitlist for UF as well - did they give you any updates in terms of how their waitlist is going?

1 hour ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

Just curious since I am on the waitlist for UF as well - did they give you any updates in terms of how their waitlist is going?

Hello! So they told me they’d let me know when they find out more information and that every year students are taken off the waitlist. That’s all unfortunately.

Hi everyone! Has anyone on here been accepted to NCSU or waitlisted? I was waitlisted and they are one of my top choices. I'm just trying to decide if I should accept another offer or wait to hear back from them. Thanks!

Hi, everyone! I just recently created an account but have been following this forum since the beginning. I just wanted to let everyone know that I have officially accepted my offer from IU, rejected my offer from MSU, and requested to be removed from the waitlist at UW-Madison and Syracuse. I hope my decision helps some of you in your admissions, and I wish you all nothing but the best of luck!

Hi everyone! I’ve pretty much decided at this point to go to UF for the EdS program and would love to chat with anyone planning on going there! ? I’m from Texas and will not know anyone. I’ve also heard some housing options are starting to fill up and was curious about where people are planning on living. 

5 minutes ago, schoolpsychf2021 said:

Hi everyone! I’ve pretty much decided at this point to go to UF for the EdS program and would love to chat with anyone planning on going there! ? I’m from Texas and will not know anyone. I’ve also heard some housing options are starting to fill up and was curious about where people are planning on living. 

Hi! I will be attending UF for the EdS program. I already live relatively close so I won't be moving to attend. I'm looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the cohort!

7 hours ago, pstone said:

Hi, everyone! I just recently created an account but have been following this forum since the beginning. I just wanted to let everyone know that I have officially accepted my offer from IU, rejected my offer from MSU, and requested to be removed from the waitlist at UW-Madison and Syracuse. I hope my decision helps some of you in your admissions, and I wish you all nothing but the best of luck!

What program were you offered at MSU? And was it a PhD? 

It’s been nearly a month since one of my interviews and I still haven’t heard anything. During the interview they said we’d probably hear back within a week and I know at least one person got an acceptance within that time frame. I emailed someone from the program over the weekend and they haven’t responded yet. 
At this point it doesn’t matter that much because I’ve already accepted another offer, but it still irritates me that they haven’t bothered to let me know if I got in or not.

Hi everyone, I am planning on accepting my offer for the Ed S program at Univ. of Northern Colorado. If anyone else is planning on attending I would love to chat! :)

2 hours ago, TheCatLady said:

It’s been nearly a month since one of my interviews and I still haven’t heard anything. During the interview they said we’d probably hear back within a week and I know at least one person got an acceptance within that time frame. I emailed someone from the program over the weekend and they haven’t responded yet. 
At this point it doesn’t matter that much because I’ve already accepted another offer, but it still irritates me that they haven’t bothered to let me know if I got in or not.

Same, I'm now waiting on 3 schools whom I interviewed with without so much as a peep. People have reported acceptances from 2 of those and I wish they'd send me rejections so I don't have to literally ask for them to say "No". Borders on unprofessional at times, and cowardly at the worst.