School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

Apologies in advance if there is a better place to ask this - I'm not super familiar with school psych PhD programs or this particular forum, as I applied to clinical psych programs only this cycle. I am considering applying to school psych phD programs for the upcoming cycle, as I think they may better suit my interests/goals. I am having trouble, however, finding information about whether these programs are typically funded (which programs provide partial funding, full funding, RA/teahcing opportunities, assistantships, etc). If anyone is a dual clin/school psych PhD applicant or has any insights about how the programs compare with regard to funding, I would so appreciate it. Thank you and good luck to all! 

19 hours ago, LetMeInnnnnn said:

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know when when you're supposed to be awarded a fellowship from your university? I was nominated for one but haven't heard an update yet and it's been over a month so I'm curious if this is normal.

Thanks!

I was nominated for a couple of fellowships as well. The sad thing about fellowships is that because of how competitive they are it's hard to say how likely you are to receive it. I was told I was nominated in early February and all I know is that I should hear back before April 15th. While I hope I get one I understand that since it is decided at the university level my POI does not have a big say in whether or not i'll get it. 

17 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

I was nominated for a couple of fellowships as well. The sad thing about fellowships is that because of how competitive they are it's hard to say how likely you are to receive it. I was told I was nominated in early February and all I know is that I should hear back before April 15th. While I hope I get one I understand that since it is decided at the university level my POI does not have a big say in whether or not i'll get it. 

Yeah the fellowship I was nominated for has it posted on their website that they would have an answer by early March but I'm not sure if that timeline is super accurate. Especially because of Covid and it says we will be notified either way. Just wanted to know if others were in limbo as well.

41 minutes ago, LetMeInnnnnn said:

Yeah the fellowship I was nominated for has it posted on their website that they would have an answer by early March but I'm not sure if that timeline is super accurate. Especially because of Covid and it says we will be notified either way. Just wanted to know if others were in limbo as well.

Yep! It seems that timelines are wacked out in a ton of spots. 

I'm officially accepting my admission offer at Tufts for the fall! I am turning down offers at Northeastern, Mason, Hartford, and Columbia so I hope that gets others off the waitlist!!! Thank you so much to everyone in this thread for all your advice and calming my nerves this whole process. I wish everyone the best!

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into how long after the April 15 deadline programs will start taking people off the waitlist (assuming those offered admission wait until then to decide to turn it down)?

23 hours ago, Moomi said:

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into how long after the April 15 deadline programs will start taking people off the waitlist (assuming those offered admission wait until then to decide to turn it down)?

Yeah this is a good point. Im guessing people can deny an offer on the 15th but I dont think most people will wait that long 

On 3/24/2021 at 8:43 AM, LC21 said:

Hey! So you should've gotten an email telling you that an admissions decision has been made and to click the link to see it in the admissions portal. This also takes you to where you can either formally accept or decline the offer. I got this email last Wednesday. If you haven't received this, I would email Dr. H.

I second this. Though I know he takes a while to respond lol 

On 3/24/2021 at 6:59 PM, Southwestteacher said:

I really thought I would have decided by now! I am feeling torn between two programs. One program is a combined counseling/school psych phd and one is a school psych phd. I do feel that at the combined program, I would have the advantage of learning about both counseling and school, however I would need to take prerequisites which would equal more time in school aka more debt (and years of my life..currently 29!) For the combined program, I also would not have to relocate which would save on moving expenses. At the other school, I felt like my research and mentor match were spot on. Also, I think since it is an APA approved program and they offer a year of counseling practicum that I would still have options career-wise. However, I would have to move and into what seems to be a difficult rental market. Hoping to finally decide by Friday. This is much harder than I anticipated!!

Because it’s a combined program you’d definitely have a better experience within both worlds. I would double check on needing to pay additional money on the pre req courses on top of your regular courses. There’s usually not an extra charge for anything over full time credits. I took additional clinical/counseling courses on top of my school psych courses and was not charged extra. I LOVED that and the classes. 
you can definitely emphasize your combined program/experiences when seeking a position. I know that you’d also qualify for additional funding opportunities because of the combination. I was able to secure funding from APA because of the additional clinical/counseling courses/experiences. Lastly, I’m older than you, and I have plenty of classmates who are also older lol do not let age be a factor. 

Not trying to be a downer, but something to consider if anyone is thinking about Columbia:

Among your choices, you should also consider which programs have a grad worker union AND treat grad students right. I am a current 2nd year PhD student at Columbia. The majority of grad students are currently on strike for a living wage, better healthcare, and protection from harassment and discrimination. I have been watching the process of our new graduate union try to bargain for our first contract for over two years. In these sessions, I have seen admin (and their sleazy lawyer, who charges $1,500/hr) do everything possible to stall negotiations, belittle us, and play down heartfelt testimonials that make clear why our demands are reasonable and necessary. Every time we've gotten a raise in the past, our Columbia rent magically goes up by a higher percentage. Our wages are not enough to live in NYC. There is no dental or vision coverage, and they recently removed the better health insurance plan option. The school has a terrible history with harassment and discrimination cases brought by both undergrads and grads (Google it), and at the moment they are doing everything possible to avoid meeting our contract demand about changing the investigation process to give more rights to the complainant (see link below).

We're entering the 3rd week of the strike, and Columbia has made very clear that they plan to not only doc our bi-weekly pay (which we receive for TA/RA work), but our academic stipends--yep, they are going to debit our student accounts, thereby jeopardizing course registration, degree progress, visas, and health insurance. We have a legal right to strike, but this later action constitutes illegal academic retaliation.

Long story short: I'm sure a lot of schools are as corrupt as Columbia, but I've just seen first hand how rotten this place is to the core. They only care about profit (their endowment grew $300 million during the pandemic alone), squeezing as much our of grad workers and adjuncts for as little pay as possible, sweeping bad press under the rug, and gentrifying Harlem with multi-million dollar campus expansions.

I encourage folks thinking about attending/applying to Columbia to express concerns to department chairs and administrators, and ask them why they insist on denying grad workers a fair contract: 

https://gothamist.com/news/columbia-grad-students-strike-over-wages-and-harassment-policies-nyu-counterparts-vote-similar-actions

1 hour ago, peachy4345 said:

Not trying to be a downer, but something to consider if anyone is thinking about Columbia:

Among your choices, you should also consider which programs have a grad worker union AND treat grad students right. I am a current 2nd year PhD student at Columbia. The majority of grad students are currently on strike for a living wage, better healthcare, and protection from harassment and discrimination. I have been watching the process of our new graduate union try to bargain for our first contract for over two years. In these sessions, I have seen admin (and their sleazy lawyer, who charges $1,500/hr) do everything possible to stall negotiations, belittle us, and play down heartfelt testimonials that make clear why our demands are reasonable and necessary. Every time we've gotten a raise in the past, our Columbia rent magically goes up by a higher percentage. Our wages are not enough to live in NYC. There is no dental or vision coverage, and they recently removed the better health insurance plan option. The school has a terrible history with harassment and discrimination cases brought by both undergrads and grads (Google it), and at the moment they are doing everything possible to avoid meeting our contract demand about changing the investigation process to give more rights to the complainant (see link below).

We're entering the 3rd week of the strike, and Columbia has made very clear that they plan to not only doc our bi-weekly pay (which we receive for TA/RA work), but our academic stipends--yep, they are going to debit our student accounts, thereby jeopardizing course registration, degree progress, visas, and health insurance. We have a legal right to strike, but this later action constitutes illegal academic retaliation.

Long story short: I'm sure a lot of schools are as corrupt as Columbia, but I've just seen first hand how rotten this place is to the core. They only care about profit (their endowment grew $300 million during the pandemic alone), squeezing as much our of grad workers and adjuncts for as little pay as possible, sweeping bad press under the rug, and gentrifying Harlem with multi-million dollar campus expansions.

I encourage folks thinking about attending/applying to Columbia to express concerns to department chairs and administrators, and ask them why they insist on denying grad workers a fair contract: 

https://gothamist.com/news/columbia-grad-students-strike-over-wages-and-harassment-policies-nyu-counterparts-vote-similar-actions

Please also post this on the School Psychology sub on Reddit. 

A lot of people there are considering Columbia and while others (including myself) have said that public universities in the area would be much better many are still waiting. 

The perspective of a current student may help them make the decision to stay far away. 

I finally was able to accept an offer! I'll be attending Indiana University!

I found out yesterday afternoon that I was awarded an Adolescent Mental Health Fellowship from the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology. 

Along with an hourly position I was offered working at the Indiana Institute on Disability and Community I now have full funding for next year!

It feels late in the process but I am so glad things worked out and I am able to attend my top choice. 

I wish everyone here the best of luck in securing funding, receiving acceptances off of the waitlist and enjoying the remaining time they have before we start in the Fall!

Thank you so much to everyone that has given me advice on the forums here or via chat. This community has been so helpful in navigating through this cycle. This cycle may have been the most competitive one in history but I know so many of us have made it through to the other side!

If anyone else has accepted an offer from Indiana University either for their PhD program like me or their EdS program I'd love to connect!

On 3/27/2021 at 8:17 PM, Moomi said:

Hey, I noticed you applied to Loyola-Chicago too! Loyola is starting to take people off the waitlist! I was originally waitlisted and was just offered a spot, but I'm declining since I have accepted a spot elsewhere.

hello! congrats to everyone as we progress together in this process. for those waiting to hear back by april 15th--  I know there is a lot of movement happening on the waitlists these next few weeks, and sending you positive, hopeful energy.  

thank you for months of support, kindness, and helpful information.  I wish everyone the best, and looking forward to advancing in the field as colleagues/seeing each other at conferences, ect!

*p.s. I saw on the results page someone was especially torn about being on the waitlist for east carolina-- pls feel free to reach out, I think I can be of some help. 

Hey everyone! I have a random question and am wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and could offer some clarification/guidance. 

I was accepted to one program that I liked but waitlisted at my top program. I checked with the program director and I am still on the waitlist. I am wondering if I accept the offer I received, and then I am later accepted off the waitlist at my top school (after the April 15th deadline), is it unethical to back out on the acceptance? Of course, I am not sure if this would even happen, but I am just wondering if anyone has heard anything from mentors/current students about this as I am sure a lot of people will receive offers after April 15th.

40 minutes ago, jd876 said:

Hey everyone! I have a random question and am wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and could offer some clarification/guidance. 

I was accepted to one program that I liked but waitlisted at my top program. I checked with the program director and I am still on the waitlist. I am wondering if I accept the offer I received, and then I am later accepted off the waitlist at my top school (after the April 15th deadline), is it unethical to back out on the acceptance? Of course, I am not sure if this would even happen, but I am just wondering if anyone has heard anything from mentors/current students about this as I am sure a lot of people will receive offers after April 15th.

i didnt realize you could get an offer after april 15th...

19 hours ago, jd876 said:

I agree with schoolpsych1122... I don't think you can get an offer after April 15th bc of APA guidelines (but is this program different?).  Do you know what number you are on the waitlist?  This may be helpful in answering your question of if to hold out or not!

Honestly, I would say it is unethical to accept and then go back and decline (because then they will reject/turn down others that wanted your spot--then other applicants will make a decision based on this) but it's definitely been done.  This is your life and your happiness so just do what you have to! This may be a crazy idea-- but is it possible to reach out to your PI and directly ask if the spot has been taken and tell him/her that this is your first choice, and you're waiting to hear about movement? (unless ofc you already did this with the program director--but is the program director your PI?)

When I spoke to my PI it didn't sound like they update people on the waitlist as the spots have been taken--but they update people as spots open.  I could be totally wrong on this, and like I said-- you've probably already checked!

In conclusion, I would say four things:

a) yes, unethical 

b) find out waitlist order

c) find out if the spot is still waiting to be filled

d) no offers after april 15th 

good luck! 

1 hour ago, mjk20 said:

I agree with schoolpsych1122... I don't think you can get an offer after April 15th bc of APA guidelines (but is this program different?).  Do you know what number you are on the waitlist?  This may be helpful in answering your question of if to hold out or not!

21 hours ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

i didnt realize you could get an offer after april 15th...

Where did you read that you could not receive an offer after April 15th? As applicants who have received an offer have until April 15th to make a decision, it is not uncommon for some applicants who have multiple offers to wait until the last few days before April 15th to decline their offers. Programs can definitely extend offers after April 15th. I encourage you all to read the resolution:

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

22 hours ago, jd876 said:

It is not only unethical but you will likely burn bridges, especially if you applied to specific advisors who work in the same area. You are the only one who can decide if the consequences are worth it. I agree with @mjk20 that you should find out where you are on the waitlist and take that into consideration while bearing in mind that waitlist movements vary across years (One year the top 4 candidates all declined their offers in my program when we usually get all our top candidates). Good luck!

14 hours ago, transfatfree said:

Very helpful!!!  I did not know about the possibility after April 15th.

Where did you read that you could not receive an offer after April 15th? As applicants who have received an offer have until April 15th to make a decision, it is not uncommon for some applicants who have multiple offers to wait until the last few days before April 15th to decline their offers. Programs can definitely extend offers after April 15th. I encourage you all to read the resolution:

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

It is not only unethical but you will likely burn bridges, especially if you applied to specific advisors who work in the same area. You are the only one who can decide if the consequences are worth it. I agree with @mjk20 that you should find out where you are on the waitlist and take that into consideration while bearing in mind that waitlist movements vary across years (One year the top 4 candidates all declined their offers in my program when we usually get all our top candidates). Good luck!

On 4/5/2021 at 9:41 AM, mjk20 said:

Thank you all for your advice/help! I was thinking it would be unethical, but I just wanted to check in with others to see if you had heard anything different. 

And yes, I'm pretty sure you can get offers after April 15th if people wait till the last few days to decline. The specific school I am hoping to go to states on their website that final admission decisions are often not settled until the end of April. 

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Hey everyone! Congratulations to all that have gotten into their programs and/or accepted their offers, and good luck to those waiting to hear back from schools! 

Has anyone accepted an offer they've received without funding? As it is, I only got into one of my schools this cycle, and with the deadline approaching, I'm unsure of whether or not to accept. My PIs have told me funding isn't guaranteed, but they will forward me GAship opportunities as they come. The school is a great fit for me, but I've been cautioned against paying for a PhD out of pocket over and over again, and I already have a good amt of student debt from undergrad. But, at the same time, there is the possibility of getting a GAship to cover some of the cost (but I assume not all? I don't know how much graduate assistantships cover), and I don't want to wait and try again next year with how much stress admissions caused me this year! Does anyone have any words of advice, or is maybe in a similar position? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks all!