School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

Hi, I have declined my offer to Louisiana State University, hope this helps someone! Good luck! I think I have made my final decision. This was super hard and stressful! I'll let you guys know as soon as I make things official between the last two schools. Hopefully, really soon (like in the next two days)!

Edited by Schoolzy

On 3/15/2021 at 11:08 PM, pstone said:

Hi, everyone! I just recently created an account but have been following this forum since the beginning. I just wanted to let everyone know that I have officially accepted my offer from IU, rejected my offer from MSU, and requested to be removed from the waitlist at UW-Madison and Syracuse. I hope my decision helps some of you in your admissions, and I wish you all nothing but the best of luck!

Congrats! IU has an amazing program and I will most certainly be accepting my offer in the next week or so. I visited Bloomington yesterday to look at apartments and it is so much more affordable than where I currently live haha. 

4 hours ago, JakiraJakira said:

Congrats! IU has an amazing program and I will most certainly be accepting my offer in the next week or so. I visited Bloomington yesterday to look at apartments and it is so much more affordable than where I currently live haha. 

I am so excited you are accepting IU! ? 

24 minutes ago, Schoolzy said:

I am so excited you are accepting IU! ? 

Thanks, Schoolzy! I still haven't heard back yet about the funding opportunities I applied for but I did receive an offer from a center on campus to work as an hourly research assistant with the potential to get it upgraded to a RA if one of the several grants they applied for is awarded. The hourly wage would be plenty for me to live off of and halves the amount of loans I would have to take out my first year if I can't find full funding. 

Edited by JakiraJakira

1 minute ago, JakiraJakira said:

Thanks, Schoolzy! I still haven't heard back yet about the funding opportunities I applied for but I did receive an offer from a center on campus to work as an hourly research assistant with the potential to get it upgraded to a RA if one of the several grants they applied for is awarded. The hourly wage would be plenty for me to live off of and halves the amount of loans I would have to take out my first year if I can't find full funding. 

They don’t have full tuition remission for the RA hourly position?

1 minute ago, Schoolzy said:

They don’t have full tuition remission for the RA hourly position?

Not currently. The director said that she only had the funding to hire an hourly assistant but that they have several grants "in the pipeline" that if are awarded would be enough to turn my position into an offical graduate assistantship and provide tuition remission. One of the current students in the PhD program has a full assistantship at the center so I think it is more related to the funding they have currently. 

That's the only reason I haven't fully committed yet. I still have a month to get more information. 

20 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

Not currently. The director said that she only had the funding to hire an hourly assistant but that they have several grants "in the pipeline" that if are awarded would be enough to turn my position into an offical graduate assistantship and provide tuition remission. One of the current students in the PhD program has a full assistantship at the center so I think it is more related to the funding they have currently. 

That's the only reason I haven't fully committed yet. I still have a month to get more information. 

Better than no funding! I’m happy that there is some type of funding for you. I hope you get a different position or something else works out for the position you have. Sending all the positive vibes your way and support. I still support IU 100% for you and would be so bummed if you chose not to go just because of the circumstances that the RONA (for everyone) has caused. 

Edited by Schoolzy

12 minutes ago, Schoolzy said:

Better than no funding! I’m happy that there is some type of funding for you. I hope you get a different position or something else works out for the position you have. Sending all the positive vibes your way and support. I still support IU 100% for you and would be so bummed if you chose not to go just because of the circumstances that the RONA (for everyone) has caused. 

Thank you so much Schoolzy! I appreciate all the positive vibes and support you have given me on here! I don't think I will choose not to go somewhere. I am not sure waiting a year would be the best for me since I am confident IU is the best fit for me program wise. Plus, we have great loan forgiveness options and with the hourly position I wouldn't have to take out a backbreaking amount of loans to attend. 

This forum has been so helpful for me and helped me vent about the whole application process. Thank you to everyone on the forum for being so helpful and engaging regarding this year's application cycle. 

3 hours ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

Is it normal to not be able to secure an assistantship until after you put a deposit down/commit to the school?

That seems really weird. Like do you mean apply for one? Because if they aren’t guaranteeing you funding and you accept you might screw yourself out of other opportunities (assuming you got other offers) if you don’t get that funding. 

5 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

That seems really weird. Like do you mean apply for one? Because if they aren’t guaranteeing you funding and you accept you might screw yourself out of other opportunities (assuming you got other offers) if you don’t get that funding. 

Yes I thought assistantships are awarded? The program director said when an assistantship is available I forward it to all current/potential students to apply for. Really weird I thought that would be included in my offer of acceptance. 

Edited by schoolpsych1122

1 hour ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

Yes I thought assistantships are awarded? The program director said when an assistantship is available I forward it to all current/potential students to apply for. Really weird I thought that would be included in my offer of acceptance. 

It seems a lot of programs in school psychology don’t include the funding in the offer of acceptance. Instead they forward you opportunities and help you apply for them. It’s really weird that they said you could only apply for them if you accepted their offer. 

Hi folks! Does anyone have recommendations on how to let a PI know that you're still interested in being considered for their lab? Two of the schools I interviewed with have not sent me a formal decision, so I'm wondering if it would be helpful to reach out. I also want to let the PI know I've had posters accepted for conference presentation, but haven't been sure how to phrase this. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!!!

21 minutes ago, maybeschoolpsych21 said:

Hi folks! Does anyone have recommendations on how to let a PI know that you're still interested in being considered for their lab? Two of the schools I interviewed with have not sent me a formal decision, so I'm wondering if it would be helpful to reach out. I also want to let the PI know I've had posters accepted for conference presentation, but haven't been sure how to phrase this. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!!!

Definitely follow up. I did and was admitted into my top choice after being waitlisted. You can send a email stating: “I am still very interested in joining your lab/team. Since the interview, I’ve completed x,z,y. I believe these projects have made me even more dedicated/equipped to conduct research in your lab. Please know this is my top choice program. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.”

It doesn’t have to be these exact words, but I hope this provides a framework for you. Best of luck!

7 hours ago, schoolpsych1122 said:

For masters programs I have not been seeing assistantships awarded, only scholarships and grant money. I’ve been accepted to 5 programs and that’s at least how all 5 do it. Some are accepting applications now and some at the beginning of the semester. 

Edited by Ashbee

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone on admissions! Or if you have accepted an offer, good luck with your future studies in this great field! I found it a little hard to scroll through this entire forum looking for info about programs and dates, so I created another forum where we can succinctly post all our admissions/waitlist/rejection data for ease of access for those of us still waiting. If you want, please post your info there. Thanks!

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/128230-school-psychology-2021-acceptrejectwaitlist/

Still haven’t heard anything from the program I interviewed with over a month ago. Sent an email over a week ago and they didn’t respond.

I also haven’t heard anything from the program I accepted an offer from. I sent an email saying that I would be accepting the offer 2 (or maybe it was 3?) weeks ago and filled out the acceptance form in the application portal. Is it normal to not hear anything for a while after you accept?

Has anyone heard back from the University of Northern Colorado graduate school?  I got an acceptance email from the school psychology department on March 14: ... we are recommending to the graduate school that you be admitted starting in the Fall of 2021.  You should soon be receiving an acceptance note from the graduate school which should include ...

I haven't actually received anything from the graduate school and my application status is still being "reviewed". I'm a little bit worried that I might not actually have gotten in!  Is there usually a long wait time between the department recommendation and graduate school acceptance?  Would love to hear from anyone who got into UNCO if they've heard back from the graduate school!  

38 minutes ago, ms.school.psychology said:

Has anyone heard back from the University of Northern Colorado graduate school?  I got an acceptance email from the school psychology department on March 14: ... we are recommending to the graduate school that you be admitted starting in the Fall of 2021.  You should soon be receiving an acceptance note from the graduate school which should include ...

I haven't actually received anything from the graduate school and my application status is still being "reviewed". I'm a little bit worried that I might not actually have gotten in!  Is there usually a long wait time between the department recommendation and graduate school acceptance?  Would love to hear from anyone who got into UNCO if they've heard back from the graduate school!  

So, I didn't apply to UNCO. But, I received an acceptance letter from a program director at a different school saying something similar and then it took over a month for me to receive my official acceptance from the graduate school. I think it's pretty common for there to be a delay between the program admitting you and the graduate school officially accepting you. 

16 hours ago, ms.school.psychology said:

Hey! So you should've gotten an email telling you that an admissions decision has been made and to click the link to see it in the admissions portal. This also takes you to where you can either formally accept or decline the offer. I got this email last Wednesday. If you haven't received this, I would email Dr. H.

Hello everyone! 

First I want to thank everyone for all the amazing advice the last time I posted about making my final decision! After reading everyone’s replies (and talking to my PI and grad students) I realized that if I went to Tulane, I would be stuck doing research that I wasn’t 100% passionate about which is really important to me. 

So just as an update, I recently accepted my offer to attend UF!!! I wanted to make the decision earlier but some things happened so I postponed my decision making. I’m really looking forward to join the program and my whole family is on board too! 

I saw some people on the forum have already accepted their offers to UF and it would be awesome if we could connect or something :))

And again, thanks for being such an awesome group of people!! 

I really thought I would have decided by now! I am feeling torn between two programs. One program is a combined counseling/school psych phd and one is a school psych phd. I do feel that at the combined program, I would have the advantage of learning about both counseling and school, however I would need to take prerequisites which would equal more time in school aka more debt (and years of my life..currently 29!) For the combined program, I also would not have to relocate which would save on moving expenses. At the other school, I felt like my research and mentor match were spot on. Also, I think since it is an APA approved program and they offer a year of counseling practicum that I would still have options career-wise. However, I would have to move and into what seems to be a difficult rental market. Hoping to finally decide by Friday. This is much harder than I anticipated!!