School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

Hope everyone’s having a good week so far! To the people that interviewed at UGA and hadn’t heard back initially last week or early this week, any news?

I still haven’t heard anything so I’m getting a little worried! Was wondering if anyone else was still in the same boat. Think we’ve been waitlisted, or are some PIs still deliberating? 

Edited by sch_psych

1 hour ago, sch_psych said:

Hope everyone’s having a good week so far! To the people that interviewed at UGA and hadn’t heard back initially last week or early this week, any news?

I still haven’t heard anything so I’m getting a little worried! Was wondering if anyone else was still in the same boat. Think we’ve been waitlisted, or are some PIs still deliberating? 

I am getting really nervous, and checking my email obsessively:( I think they are still deliberating, but I am not sure for how long considering I thought it was going to be last week.

6 minutes ago, gradschool333 said:

I am getting really nervous, and checking my email obsessively:( I think they are still deliberating, but I am not sure for how long considering I thought it was going to be last week.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I assume they're still deliberating and deciding who to accept and who to waitlist. Part of me wants to email for an update, but I'm afraid of what the response will be. I suppose we should just be grateful we haven't been rejected? UGA is my top choice, and the interview went really well (I thought). My anxiety has been through the roof! They have to give us an answer by tomorrow, right?

2 hours ago, gradschool333 said:

Omg, I feel you!! I've been refreshing my email every hour waiting for a decision... Since tomorrow is the two week mark, I wonder if they'll have decisions finished by then? here's hoping we all get good news tomorrow!!

2 hours ago, Theloveguru said:

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I assume they're still deliberating and deciding who to accept and who to waitlist. Part of me wants to email for an update, but I'm afraid of what the response will be. I suppose we should just be grateful we haven't been rejected? UGA is my top choice, and the interview went really well (I thought). My anxiety has been through the roof! They have to give us an answer by tomorrow, right?

I've been thinking this too!! I initially wanted to email my PI today but figured I'd wait til next week if I don't hear anything back by tomorrow... Getting so close to the 2 week mark makes me SO nervous though! A good friend of mine said maybe the reason they're taking so long is because they want to make sure they have great funding offers for us to go along w/ the acceptances, so that makes me feel a bit better haha! Positive thoughts!!

19 hours ago, Schoolpsych921 said:

Has any one that applied to Ball State heard back yet? We were supposed to hear back this week and I’m getting antsy!

I heard from them this morning. The email said I was recommended for admission and invited to a virtual visitation day on the 22nd. It’s been so long since the deadline that I was assuming the worst, so this was a pleasant surprise!

Just now, TheCatLady said:

I heard from them this morning. The email said I was recommended for admission and invited to a virtual visitation day on the 22nd. It’s been so long since the deadline that I was assuming the worst, so this was a pleasant surprise!

EdS or PHD? That’s great!

18 hours ago, sch_psych said:

I've been thinking this too!! I initially wanted to email my PI today but figured I'd wait til next week if I don't hear anything back by tomorrow... Getting so close to the 2 week mark makes me SO nervous though! A good friend of mine said maybe the reason they're taking so long is because they want to make sure they have great funding offers for us to go along w/ the acceptances, so that makes me feel a bit better haha! Positive thoughts!!

Ya I was thinking maybe next Monday to start emailing? Would today be too soon?

I had an interview with UMass-Boston today and while the program as a whole seemed nice and the faculty seemed very friendly and collaborative, two things stood out to me that have led to me deciding that I would not want to there. 

Posting this here for other applicants deciding about the program and for people browsing this next year.

1. If you do not have a masters degree the program will be 5 years of coursework and a year of an internship. It really sucks since another school I really liked (U of Washington) has the same model. I don’t understand why these programs would keep us an extra year when every other program is 4+1. Unless you were geographically tied to the area I would stay clear. Doesn’t make sense to spend an extra year in grad school for limited to no gain. It also sucks they did not mention this on their website. 

2. While funding is guaranteed it is only 18k for living in the Boston area. Graduate students mentioned that it would be hard to live without a roommate or multiple roommates. 

The biggest reason for me is the extra year in the program. I can’t imagine doing that when I applied to so many programs that would allow me to graduate in 5 years. 

Best of luck to everyone! 

4 hours ago, JakiraJakira said:

I had an interview with UMass-Boston today and while the program as a whole seemed nice and the faculty seemed very friendly and collaborative, two things stood out to me that have led to me deciding that I would not want to there. 

Posting this here for other applicants deciding about the program and for people browsing this next year.

1. If you do not have a masters degree the program will be 5 years of coursework and a year of an internship. It really sucks since another school I really liked (U of Washington) has the same model. I don’t understand why these programs would keep us an extra year when every other program is 4+1. Unless you were geographically tied to the area I would stay clear. Doesn’t make sense to spend an extra year in grad school for limited to no gain. It also sucks they did not mention this on their website. 

2. While funding is guaranteed it is only 18k for living in the Boston area. Graduate students mentioned that it would be hard to live without a roommate or multiple roommates. 

The biggest reason for me is the extra year in the program. I can’t imagine doing that when I applied to so many programs that would allow me to graduate in 5 years. 

Best of luck to everyone! 

For masters/EdS or PhD? 
masters/EdS normally is 3 years... unless you get tricked into doing the program at San Diego State. There’s is like 4 years. Hella insane. 

PhD is normally 5-6 years. I’m finishing my 3rd year in my masters/EdS school psych program. Decided I wanted to get a PhD... based on my research on also wanting to become a licensed psychologist, I reviewed requirements etc. And only 3 fields can achieve this 

clinical, counseling, and/or school psychology. So if you look up PhD programs within those fields you’ll see that time frame. Is there programs that’s only 4 years including internship out there? 

9 hours ago, shutfreedom said:

For masters/EdS or PhD? 
masters/EdS normally is 3 years... unless you get tricked into doing the program at San Diego State. There’s is like 4 years. Hella insane. 

PhD is normally 5-6 years. I’m finishing my 3rd year in my masters/EdS school psych program. Decided I wanted to get a PhD... based on my research on also wanting to become a licensed psychologist, I reviewed requirements etc. And only 3 fields can achieve this 

clinical, counseling, and/or school psychology. So if you look up PhD programs within those fields you’ll see that time frame. Is there programs that’s only 4 years including internship out there? 

For a Masters/PhD program at UMass Boston. 
Every other program I’ve looked at (and the two I’ve been offered admission with) requires 4 years of coursework at a minimum the 5th year being an internship. 

UMass-Boston is similar to U of Washington in that if you do not have a masters or EdS prior to joining you will have to complete 5 years of coursework and a 6th year internship. 

Essentially it would take a year longer at a minimum maybe even longer. 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, SchoolPsychYogi said:

I plan to do it over the weekend too! I am also eager to know how interview day will be structured. 

Whew just finished it this afternoon. I am not the fastest writer and I wanted to make sure I responded thoughtfully to the questions so it was pretty tough. I had about 10 seconds at the end to proofread! Good luck, if you haven't already done it! I hope it goes well for you :) 

1 hour ago, Schoolpsych921 said:

How would you all go about rejecting an offer? 

I would write a polite and personal email to the program coordinator or POI you wanted at that school and explain that while you enjoyed meeting them, another program is a better fit for your and your professional and career goals. 
I have already turned down 2 interviews like that and plan on rejecting one of the current two offers I have depending on who gives funding or whether I can find it by April 15th. 

19 hours ago, JakiraJakira said:

For a Masters/PhD program at UMass Boston. 
Every other program I’ve looked at (and the two I’ve been offered admission with) requires 4 years of coursework at a minimum the 5th year being an internship. 

UMass-Boston is similar to U of Washington in that if you do not have a masters or EdS prior to joining you will have to complete 5 years of coursework and a 6th year internship. 

Essentially it would take a year longer at a minimum maybe even longer. 

Ahh yea, now I get it. If you could get a program where it’s 4 years of courses that’d be great. I know some programs will let you add or take additional courses to finish faster. For me I took like 1-2 additional clinical courses on top of my 4-5 school psych courses. It was hella stressful lol but I did it... 

Has anyone heard about the interviews for the master at Tufts yet? They sent out an email over a week ago with a “save the date if you’re picked” but I’m getting nervous that I was not picked.