MEd COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY (OISE, UofT)

Toughcook1e

I thought it would be useful to create a space for those who have applied for MEd - COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY at OISE this year. Hope doing this will help me not to stress much during the waiting period lol! This is my second time applying to the program, and last year I was put on waitlist. Keep our fingers crossed and good luck to all of people who have applied!

Edited by Toughcook1e

@Toughcook1eI’m glad to hear that you are trying again this year! I wish you the best luck :) 

Would you mind sharing your gpa and work experiences here? I looked at some posts from last year and a few with gpa/work experiences far more stronger than mine said they didn’t get an offer. I don’t have much work experiences like them nor a good gpa so i’m so anxious.

In case you might be interested too, mine looks like this:

- I graduated from my undergrad at UBC last December.

- 5 months RA at M.Ed counselling psychology department at a small college in the states

- 3 years volunteer/community involvement at a nonprofit organization to support homeless population

- 8 months clinical counselling internship student experience at a rehabilitation clinic (still employed with 1 year contract)

- upper years GPA: 3.31 (76%)

- final year GPA: 3.93 (84.5%)

- plus a certification course (addictions and recovery course) at Stanford University with 89% final grade

@Jumbo3 Thanks! Best luck to you too! I have talked to the admission department before, and they told me the practical experience is a more weighed component of an application. Since the program does not have a research component, research experience will not be taken into consideration by the department. As long as the applicant reaches a B+ in their final year, it's all about their relevant counselling experience. My GPA is about the same as yours between 3.9 to 4. In regard to my counselling experience, I had volunteered about 1000 hours (a total of 3 years) for various organizations including distress centres, helplines, and specialized community programs and networks.

1823838585_2021-01-131_43_20.png.434ce55902cbedc4ca3f9c189e74511c.png

By the way, I think the reason that many high-GPA students did not get in is that they have a fair amount of research experience rather than counselling experience. To me, you have a good amount of working and volunteering experience in counselling.

Edited by Toughcook1e

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! First time applicant here! Best of luck to everyone! 

I have a question, please answer if you have heard anything about this - I am in my fourth year right now (I posted my background for applications in a different postboard but if you click my user you should be able to see it :)), what are the odds of getting in directly from undergrad - do I even have a chance or is this unheard of?

@Happiness is keyThanks and good luck to you as well! Based on OISE's admission requirements from their website, I would not think your academic background would be an issue. In addition, as I previously mentioned in my post, the admission department told me relevant experience is a more weighed component of an application.

屏幕快照 2021-01-25 下午12.01.05.png

On 1/13/2021 at 12:57 PM, Toughcook1e said:

@Jumbo3 I received a decision from OISE in the first week of March last year. The earliest time students will hear from the admission department would be around the end of February each year.

Does OISE do interviews for the program? 

On 1/5/2021 at 10:46 PM, Toughcook1e said:

I thought it would be useful to create a space for those who have applied for MEd - COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY at OISE this year. Hope doing this will help me not to stress much during the waiting period lol! This is my second time applying to the program, and last year I was put on waitlist. Keep our fingers crossed and good luck to all of people who have applied!

Hey! When you were waitlisted last year did they give any advice about how to become a more competitive applicant? or was it just a straight decision with no explanation. Thanks in advance!! 

On 1/25/2021 at 2:09 PM, wecandoit said:

Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone knows if UBC's admission process is a simple yes/no (i.e. no interview required)? 

The waiting game makes me anxious!

UBC's counselling program doesn't interview. They announce results usually in early March.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:09 PM, wecandoit said:

Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone knows if UBC's admission process is a simple yes/no (i.e. no interview required)? 

The waiting game makes me anxious!

Hey! I hope you get good news! I did not apply to UBC but there is another forum called "Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA" and I have seen posts about UBC so you might be able to find more information there! :)  

Hi everyone, wow I can't stop checking...how can I stop. Suggestions? lol Also, in regards to UOFT, can anyone explain the ACORN trick. Some other forums stated that your status on ACORN updates before SGS does. Does anyone know where on ACORN? 

Also, does anyone have any programs that they have applied to that will also lead you to certification as a psychotherapist? I am in Ontario. I know the McMaster one but any others?? 

Thanks all!! 

@MSW2020lm I know how you feel and I am just as anxious as you are....

Maybe take a look at the graduate program at Guelph- Couple and Family Therapy (MSc). I believe this is the only program in Toronto which enables their students to become psychotherapists right away after their master graduation, and it is extremely competitive ( if I am not wrong, they only take 8 or 9 students per year).

https://family.uoguelph.ca/couple-and-family-therapy-msc

Edited by Toughcook1e

19 hours ago, Toughcook1e said:

@MSW2020lm I know how you feel and I am just as anxious as you are....

Maybe take a look at the graduate program at Guelph- Couple and Family Therapy (MSc). I believe this is the only program in Toronto which enables their students to become psychotherapists right away after their master graduation, and it is extremely competitive ( if I am not wrong, they only take 8 or 9 students per year).

https://family.uoguelph.ca/couple-and-family-therapy-msc

Thanks for the info! It looks like an interesting program but super competitive, also I can't really move from Toronto- the program is in Guelph.