MEd COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY (OISE, UofT)

Toughcook1e

4 hours ago, Toughcook1e said:

I am taking a guess here.

Maybe there are no waitlisted students this year because they are facing approximately 800 applications and a good way to save time and energy is to not have a waitlist. They send acceptance letters to the most wanted students for the first around and wait for all of their responses. Then, they have the second round. Finally, they take care of the rest. 

Woah. Where did you see they are getting 800 applicants?

For what it's worth, I did a masters in an unrelated subject at U of T and on the website they said acceptance was about 5% or something like that. The program only took 7 students, but I remember finding out somewhere that nowhere in the last 5 years did they actually have 140 applicants. It was always somewhere around 50-70. The acceptance rate had been grossly exaggerated in that particular case. 

2 hours ago, MSW2020lm said:

Yes! 

"Thanks for your inquiry.  We are experiencing a high volume at this time.

If you are inquiring about the status of your application, official responses will be emailed by late March, early April."

thank you so much for the information. I just accepted my offer from another university that's due in 2 days. Feels a bit relieved now after ending this everlasting waiting ordeal

9 minutes ago, simp4gradschool said:

thank you so much for the information. I just accepted my offer from another university that's due in 2 days. Feels a bit relieved now after ending this everlasting waiting ordeal

Congrats on your acceptance! 

2 hours ago, Hemingwho said:

Woah. Where did you see they are getting 800 applicants?

For what it's worth, I did a masters in an unrelated subject at U of T and on the website they said acceptance was about 5% or something like that. The program only took 7 students, but I remember finding out somewhere that nowhere in the last 5 years did they actually have 140 applicants. It was always somewhere around 50-70. The acceptance rate had been grossly exaggerated in that particular case. 

I saw that (800 applicants) on one of our fellows' posts @Jumbo3 

Exactly! This program takes 35 students each year and of course they do not care the number of their applicants.?

7 hours ago, Toughcook1e said:

Exactly! This program takes 35 students each year and of course they do not care the number of their applicants.?

Yeah, @Jumbo3might have a source they can link that indicates otherwise (in which case, my bad), but I really truly doubt there have ever been even close to 800 applicants. 

3 minutes ago, Hemingwho said:

Yeah, @Jumbo3might have a source they can link that indicates otherwise (in which case, my bad), but I really truly doubt there have ever been even close to 800 applicants. 

7 hours ago, Toughcook1e said:

Yes! Here is the llink to 2021 statistics: https://ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RO_Stats.htm

Wow, I am surprised at the number of applicants.

A friend of mine knows someone who works higher up in the registrar's office, and when they spoke to them back in November, they were expecting that admission applications would decrease significantly this year because of COVID. The impression they gave was that this was a good year to apply, as it may be easier to get in. 

Certainly raised my hopes, although now reality is starting to set in...

On 3/15/2021 at 8:38 AM, simp4gradschool said:

I applied for UofT, uOttawa (A), McMaster (R), and McGill. the deadline to accept uO is in 2 days but UT is my first choice. I sent an email to the admission office this morning to ask for result. Though I don't expect a reply but if I do I'll for sure share it in the group. 

So APHD replied today. Basically copy pasted the exact same sentences from the website:

"Notification of results are provided to applicants via the online admissions application. We start uploading letters in early March and continue into March, April, and sometimes later months. If you submit a complete application by November 16, you should receive a decision sometime in March. If you submit an application after November 16, decisions are available within three to six weeks of application submission, but no sooner than early March."

Hey quick question for folks, 

So the deadline to apply for this program was November 16th, and then we had 7 business days to hand in all supplemental documents like reference letters and stuff. This means the last day was November 25th. One of my references took a while and handed it in on the 26th. Do you think this impacts the application by a lot? :(

11 minutes ago, BobbiQueen said:

Hey quick question for folks, 

So the deadline to apply for this program was November 16th, and then we had 7 business days to hand in all supplemental documents like reference letters and stuff. This means the last day was November 25th. One of my references took a while and handed it in on the 26th. Do you think this impacts the application by a lot? :(

No, I don't think so

3 hours ago, Hemingwho said:

No, I don't think so

Yeah, it was one day and I hear they're sympathetic to those who's references are late. I'm truly hoping it doesn't impact my application. Thank u for the validation. :) 

13 hours ago, Jumbo3 said:

Those stats are from 2020-2021 applicants it was posted Feb of 2020 and was around 500 applicants for MEd Psychotherapy and counselling, I am not sure where the 800 is found because they haven't even updated the 2021-2022 applicant year stats which could mean they aren't done going through all the first choice/second choice candidates etc 

Edited by Brittp

19 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

Okay, now I am thinking they are waiting the 3 weeks that those accepted had to respond by which would bring us to March 25th UGH

I was just thinking this might be the case yesterday... This wait is so painful ?

19 hours ago, MSW2020lm said:

Okay, now I am thinking they are waiting the 3 weeks that those accepted had to respond by which would bring us to March 25th UGH

i thought about this too but there's only one person accepted so far not even a single rejection has been updated on this forum. I doubt if they have already sent out the first wave of results.

The other day when I got the offer from uO or rejection from McMaster, I saw quite a lot updates on their decision. So I do think this website has a comparably accurate updates on the gradschool admission news. 

What do y'all think?

Edited by simp4gradschool

11 minutes ago, simp4gradschool said:

i thought about this too but there's only one person accepted so far not even a single rejection has been updated on this forum. I doubt if they have already sent out the first wave of results.

The other day when I got the offer from uO or rejection from McMaster, I saw quite a lot updates on their decision. So I do think this website has a comparably accurate updates on the gradschool admission news. 

What do y'all think?

Based on various posts on graduate cafe, I know 3 people have received acceptance letters so far. We cannot guarantee all applicants use the forum, so it is really hard to say how many acceptance letters the admission department has sent out. 

We are all in this. In the past few months, I keep thinking about bad circumstances and hoping for good results to come. I applied to the program last year as well, and I heard a decision in the first week of March. I know this year must be very hard for all of us?

It is funny I notice my anxious thoughts are pretty much gone recently because the waiting is forever haha.....

35 minutes ago, simp4gradschool said:

What do y'all think?

Just going off of what ToughCook1e said. Theres been a few acceptances. The only thing that is weird is that there has been no waitlists or rejections. Thats why I am thinking they are waiting for the people to respond to acceptances (they had 3 weeks from March 4th) and then they will send the rest of the results out according to those decisions. This of course is all speculation and I also really hate this. I will probably find out the same time as the UofT MSW results...

1 hour ago, Toughcook1e said:

Based on various posts on graduate cafe, I know 3 people have received acceptance letters so far. We cannot guarantee all applicants use the forum, so it is really hard to say how many acceptance letters the admission department has sent out. 

We are all in this. In the past few months, I keep thinking about bad circumstances and hoping for good results to come. I applied to the program last year as well, and I heard a decision in the first week of March. I know this year must be very hard for all of us?

It is funny I notice my anxious thoughts are pretty much gone recently because the waiting is forever haha.....

I totally feel you on this one and all your anxious thoughts are totally valid. Recently I try to distract myself by picking up some old hobbies and looking for more counselling related volunteer jobs. Waiting is indeed tortuous and there's nothing we can do to make it finish faster. I hope you can find ways to deal with it and finger crossed for your results. 

1 hour ago, simp4gradschool said:

What do y'all think?

i only applied for Counselling Psychology MEd. In that program there's only been one accepted. But yeh if you include EdD or Clinical and Counselling Psychology, each has another acceptance.

2 hours ago, simp4gradschool said:

i only applied for Counselling Psychology MEd. In that program there's only been one accepted. But yeh if you include EdD or Clinical and Counselling Psychology, each has another acceptance.

I’ve seen 3 people accepted to OISE MEd Counselling Psychology (Psychotherapy) - but they were through posts on the forum - not the admissions results. 

Edited by Happiness is key
spelling error