MEd COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY (OISE, UofT)

Toughcook1e

Hello guys, this is my first time posting in here ... I applied for both MED psychotherapy and counselling at OISE and Msc. Psychotherapy at McMaster. I have not heard back from OISE (assuming a rejection by now). However, I got an interview at McMaster on February 22nd, they mentioned they were doing interviews the week after and I should hear back whether I was accepted or not by the second week of March. My question is: what do you guys think is better having MEd or Msc. with regards to more job opportunities? also, if I do the Msc. at Mcmaster, will I be able to apply to the doctoral program at OISE in the future? I wish everyone luck in the application process. It is quite nerve-racking but please do not lose hope. It took me many years before I am able to get an interview, i am sure a lot of you are competitive applicants with great skills, if this is your dream, keep fighting for it till you get in.   

Hey friends ?

Like a lot of you, I haven't heard from OISE yet and I'm practicing my DBT skills so I don't overanalyze any of this. 

I know many of ya'll are stressed about this like I am. But I truly hope you know that regardless of what outcome you get for your application this year, the work you have been doing in the community is incredibly impactful and VITAL. Heart work is hard work, and I thank you all for partaking in it. ❤️  You're all going to be wonderful therapists one day, I just know it!!! I hope you find the time to enjoy your weekend. If anyone wants to touch base, just let me know. :)

- A

On 3/5/2021 at 6:16 AM, F_J said:

I'm really interested in the counselling psychology program at OISE but I was informed on Feb 26 that I was invited to developmental psychology and education which was my third choice. I had MEd Global mental health and counselling psychology as my second choice and I was not considered for that one either and this program is still open for application!! I'm not sure if I can email them ask for feedback or reasons why I was not considered in the counselling psychology program??? My guess is just lack of counselling experience. I have only one year of expereince directly related to counselling/advising, two years of helping experience assisting with university students, just started a behavioral intervionist posiition in Nov last year. I also heard that many people got accepted into the developmental psychology program this year. it sounds that this program is easy to enter for some reasons. Little disappointed that I did not get in. It is still a good news for those who have not heard back because that means your applications are still considering!!! 

Hi there, are you an international student? The MEd Global mental health and counselling psychology seems cool from- description /or title but take a look on the website, it is targeted for international students who plan to work abroad. The site has more details including that it does not lead to certification in Canada. They have an open house today for the program (March 6) info on their website.

17 hours ago, Regina77 said:

Hi there, are you an international student? The MEd Global mental health and counselling psychology seems cool from- description /or title but take a look on the website, it is targeted for international students who plan to work abroad. The site has more details including that it does not lead to certification in Canada. They have an open house today for the program (March 6) info on their website.

yes I am!! thanks for that information! I'm interested in either practicing in Canada or internationally so that was why I applied for both counselling psychotherapy and global mental psychotherapy.. I thought I would have greater chance in getting into the global mental health and counselling but unfortunately not.. I emailed them ask for feedback and I'll see what they say:)

49 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

Hi! I posted this in the Counselling forum as well. 

Does anyone know anyone who was waitlisted for UofT OISE counselling and psychotherapy this year? Hopefully we will hear our results in the next couple of days!!

Hoping to hear results soon too! I don't think anyone has been waitlisted or rejected yet, but a few people got accepted last week. Fingers crossed for all of us who haven't heard back yet!! 

Just now, Jumbo3 said:

shit.. are they done rolling out results for accepted candidates..........

They could be. We have only heard three acceptances I believe on the forum. I mean they only accept around 35 but I imagine there would have been more acceptances here? From previous years the waitlisted candidates were usually right after. Maybe waitlists will hear tomorrow? 

26 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

They could be. We have only heard three acceptances I believe on the forum. I mean they only accept around 35 but I imagine there would have been more acceptances here? From previous years the waitlisted candidates were usually right after. Maybe waitlists will hear tomorrow? 

Based on the results page, it is common to see 2~4 acceptances for this program per year. I may assume not all accepted students use graduate cafe ?.

2 hours ago, Toughcook1e said:

Based on the results page, it is common to see 2~4 acceptances for this program per year. I may assume not all accepted students use graduate cafe ?.

I remember one of my friends was waitlisted the first day acceptances went out last year and others were accepted later on!! fingers crossed for us all... the roll out dates are very unpredictable I find

I feel like they go through applications in chunks - this would make sense for those who receive an acceptance or a waitlist letter on the same day but then we still see more acceptances days later. I’ve read through prior posts - from what I gather they should still be accepting people (looks like it kind of happens in roughly 1 week to 1.5 weeks)! 

I would say don’t assume rejection just yet!

35 minutes ago, unicornpsych said:

Did anyone hear anything today?

Really OISE? what is taking so long- since November too??? .....fingers crossed for you all! last time we made a complaint here they responded - with those few offers.....so hopefully they are reading this lol!

Edited by Regina77