MEd COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY (OISE, UofT)

Toughcook1e

I'm just curious from those who heard back, did you get rejected/ waitlisted/ accepted, what was your final year average in % (I went to Trent they don't have an easy GPA system), and what experience do you have? ALSO what does your last name start with, I'm wondering if they might be going through sections by name, considering mine is S, maybe I'm at the bottom? I'm just trying to justify it at this point lmao

3 minutes ago, micher said:

I'm just curious from those who heard back, did you get rejected/ waitlisted/ accepted, what was your final year average in % (I went to Trent they don't have an easy GPA system), and what experience do you have? ALSO what does your last name start with, I'm wondering if they might be going through sections by name, considering mine is S, maybe I'm at the bottom? I'm just trying to justify it at this point lmao

Hey! I have not heard back yet and my last name also starts with S! You could be on to something here (I hope lol, means I still have a shot!)

16 minutes ago, micher said:

Hey not sure about the last name thing cause my last name starts with an J ... 

13 minutes ago, micher said:

Hey I went to Trent too! My final year average was in the high 80s I think. I know when I spoke with someone last year, they like students to have around an 80 (although the minimum is 78 I think?), but I think that the experience component is more important to them. And my last name starts with an L, so not sure if that's how they're doing it ?

But I feel you on trying to justify it at this point. Considering a few people got waitlisted a last week, I'm thinking I'll be rejected...

6 minutes ago, taco-belle said:

Hey I went to Trent too! My final year average was in the high 80s I think. I know when I spoke with someone last year, they like students to have around an 80 (although the minimum is 78 I think?), but I think that the experience component is more important to them. And my last name starts with an L, so not sure if that's how they're doing it ?

But I feel you on trying to justify it at this point. Considering a few people got waitlisted a last week, I'm thinking I'll be rejected...

That's how I feel too! my average the last 2 years was 90/92, so I thought I had a good chance-- but I forgot how competitive this program actually is LOL

(edit) also 100% I think experience matters wayyyy more to them. Also, Trent is not a prestigious school so I think that might affect how they evaluate the marks

Edited by micher

For those who applied to the OISE counselling & psychotherapy program; has anyone emailed the program coordinator about their response rate... like I remember when applying they said that if you apply before november 16th (due date); you should hear back in march ... and theres literally only 2 days left of march... so I really don't know what to think... on one end I am like; the fact that I haven't heard anything means "nothings bad" -- but I'm also like "well the fact that its so late is also not a good sign either".... 

4 minutes ago, Decaf22 said:

For those who applied to the OISE counselling & psychotherapy program; has anyone emailed the program coordinator about their response rate... like I remember when applying they said that if you apply before november 16th (due date); you should hear back in march ... and theres literally only 2 days left of march... so I really don't know what to think... on one end I am like; the fact that I haven't heard anything means "nothings bad" -- but I'm also like "well the fact that its so late is also not a good sign either".... 

I spoke with the MEd DPE coordinator and she said everyone will get their decisions by the end of April, but they're hoping for mid-April. I think they're just generally slower this year, although I'm not sure why this is! Also my last name starts with V and I applied before the deadline so maybe there is something to the alphabetical system... lol 

3 minutes ago, coffee21 said:

I spoke with the MEd DPE coordinator and she said everyone will get their decisions by the end of April, but they're hoping for mid-April. I think they're just generally slower this year, although I'm not sure why this is! Also my last name starts with V and I applied before the deadline so maybe there is something to the alphabetical system... lol 

I feel like they would say its because of covid... I applied before the deadline too, and I feel like they should have put up a notice on the website saying its not going to be done by March. Considering we paid the same application fee as the years before us, I would really to have an answer within the same time frame or at least be told that there is some delay. I don't think its right that we have to contact them. 

Sorry if I come across as a little salty but I'm starting to get really annoyed at this point to be honest ? I feel awful for the people who had to give answers to other programs before a certain date, and still hadn't heard from U of T.

5 minutes ago, taco-belle said:

I feel like they would say its because of covid... I applied before the deadline too, and I feel like they should have put up a notice on the website saying its not going to be done by March. Considering we paid the same application fee as the years before us, I would really to have an answer within the same time frame or at least be told that there is some delay. I don't think its right that we have to contact them. 

Sorry if I come across as a little salty but I'm starting to get really annoyed at this point to be honest ? I feel awful for the people who had to give answers to other programs before a certain date, and still hadn't heard from U of T.

No not at all I totally agree with you! It's incredibly frustrating and I saw on reddit someone posted about how when they emailed the same person I spoke with, she told them they would hear back by Tuesday and they did. How is that fair? I don't understand how they're rolling out the decisions at all

4 minutes ago, coffee21 said:

No not at all I totally agree with you! It's incredibly frustrating and I saw on reddit someone posted about how when they emailed the same person I spoke with, she told them they would hear back by Tuesday and they did. How is that fair? I don't understand how they're rolling out the decisions at all

I haven't look on reddit in a while so I didn't see that! That is so frustrating, I would hope they would at least keep their responses to applicants consistent. I really don't understand their process either

18 minutes ago, coffee21 said:

I feel everyones frustrations. I am still waiting as well. Was the person waitlisted for the counselling psychotherapy program? I thought all responses were auto replies at this stage, I didn't think someone was actually responding? 

1 minute ago, MSW2020lm said:

I feel everyones frustrations. I am still waiting as well. Was the person waitlisted for the counselling psychotherapy program? I thought all responses were auto replies at this stage, I didn't think someone was actually responding? 

So that person was accepted to the MEd DPE though not counselling and psychotherapy. They ended up emailing that program coordinator and she replied saying they would hear back by that Tuesday and they got the decision Tuesday. The equivalent to Todd for us I think? I emailed her as well though since it's my second choice program and she never got back to me. 

Just now, coffee21 said:

So that person was accepted to the MEd DPE though not counselling and psychotherapy. They ended up emailing that program coordinator and she replied saying they would hear back by that Tuesday and they got the decision Tuesday. The equivalent to Todd for us I think? I emailed her as well though since it's my second choice program and she never got back to me. 

Ohhhh I see. I'm sorry to hear that. That is definitely not fair. I agree that they can't pick and choose who to respond to. Let's hope it isn't much longer. 

Fellows, let's review the timeline.

A couple of accepted students reported on March 4th.

Now we are at the end of March. What has the admission department done during this whole month? Go through a bunch of applications and figure out their waitlisted applicants?

The timeline is very suspicious ?

25 minutes ago, coffee21 said:

To be fair, I think she probably knew the student's file had been carefully reviewed and was able to give a definitive answer. She might not know when the heck most of us will be considered

Just now, Hemingwho said:

To be fair, I think she probably knew the student's file had been carefully reviewed and was able to give a definitive answer. She might not know when the heck most of us will be considered

Right, but she's still the program coordinator- to my knowledge, they're not on the admissions committee and don't partake in reviewing applications. The admissions committee makes a decision, then sends it to the registrar's office to do the paperwork and send out the decisions. I can only assume she pulled up the file and based on that information gave an answer

Just curious to hear feedback from others willing to give insight: Do you think the developmental psychology MEd could be applicable to life coaching? Why or why not? Or are there any programs any of you would suggest I take a look at?

... just exploring my options here ?

3 minutes ago, Happiness is key said:

Sorry to hear this. Best of luck in the future!

If you don’t mind - what time did you receive the email?

I am SO sorry I just realized I completely read it wrong. Rejected from Counselling and Clinical Psychology. Sorry if I made anyone panic there - in my utter panic checking my status I read it incorrectly! I received the email at about 2:55!

Edited by Char-o-latte

7 hours ago, Decaf22 said:

7 hours ago, taco-belle said:

6 hours ago, MSW2020lm said:

I applied to CP and psychotherapy in OISE. I emailed the APHD to push for a result 3 weeks ago because I had to make decision to another offer. I got a reply from Parnia Kahrizi within 48 hours, who basically copied the exact same paragraph from the website:

(Notification of results are provided to applicants via the online admissions application. We start uploading letters in early March and continue into March, April, and sometimes later months. If you submit a complete application by November 16, you should receive a decision sometime in March. If you submit an application after November 16, decisions are available within three to six weeks of application submission, but no sooner than early March.
Hope this answers your question.)

It is indeed frustrating. UofT was my first choice and dream school but I accepted the other offer anyway. At this point I don't even want to go to UofT anymore. I just want to know my result. I'd happy take the rejection. I was just complaining to my friends how UofT asked for twice as much of application fee but is the slowest to hear back. (McGill hasn't got back to me either but at least they explicitly stated that we would hear back in April). Anyway, I'm done complaining. Good luck to everyone. 

10 minutes ago, simp4gradschool said:

I applied to CP and psychotherapy in OISE. I emailed the APHD to push for a result 3 weeks ago because I had to make decision to another offer. I got a reply from Parnia Kahrizi within 48 hours, who basically copied the exact same paragraph from the website:

(Notification of results are provided to applicants via the online admissions application. We start uploading letters in early March and continue into March, April, and sometimes later months. If you submit a complete application by November 16, you should receive a decision sometime in March. If you submit an application after November 16, decisions are available within three to six weeks of application submission, but no sooner than early March.
Hope this answers your question.)

It is indeed frustrating. UofT was my first choice and dream school but I accepted the other offer anyway. At this point I don't even want to go to UofT anymore. I just want to know my result. I'd happy take the rejection. I was just complaining to my friends how UofT asked for twice as much of application fee but is the slowest to hear back. (McGill hasn't got back to me either but at least they explicitly stated that we would hear back in April). Anyway, I'm done complaining. Good luck to everyone. 

Hey thanks for sharing this.. and i know it can be frustrating when you're waiting for one program and you just don't hear back --- regardless good or bad... but based on this; if you've submitted your application before/on Nov 16; you should hear back tmrw (since it is the last day of march)... unless COVID has delayed the whole thing ... uggh this so frustrating .. but good luck to all of us tmrw! Hopefully we hear some good news :)