MEd COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY (OISE, UofT)

Toughcook1e

Current OISE MEd student here.  Congrats on your acceptance to both programs!!!

You shouldn’t have any problem registering with CRPO with a Master’s from McGill. I know many therapists who were trained in Quebec (Concordia, McGill etc) working in Toronto/Ontario as RPs. 

In terms of training, my impression is that you will get a bit more structured training at McGill. Their curriculum looks very sequenced. OISE MEd is student-driven and allows for more flexibility around how you move through the program. That’s both good and potentially bad, meaning, unless you know what kind of a therapist you want to become, it’s easy to get lost. I personally like the freedom in terms of course selection and practicum that OISE offers. Also, some students do a collaborative degree in another UofT department (in Addiction Studies, Indigenous Health, Palliative Care, Sexuality Studies etc) so you can get two degrees in one (and pay only for one program)?.

Another thing I like about OISE MEd is that because it doesn’t require an undergrad psych degree for admissions, there’s a lot of diversity in experience and background among students. It’s been really eye opening for me to see different paths to therapy work and I learn a lot from my classmates. I’m sure you will have amazing colleagues at McGill though. 

In terms of MA vs MEd, personally I think it comes down to funding as you mentioned. MEd students interested in doing PhD/EdD/PsyD later can take research & thesis courses as part of their electives so it shouldn’t make much difference (unless you want to go straight into PhD after MA and be fully funded, then McGill might be your answer). 

Hope this helps. At the end of the day, you will get excellent education from either program so go with your gut feeling and career goals! 

Hey everyone! Just finding this thread a bit late but thought I would post to see if anyone’s on the same boat. I got waitlisted for the MEd program on March 29, and rejected from the MA program March 30. Is there an actual chance I’ll get accepted into the MEd program this year? They say if you don’t hear back from us until mid-August, I can just assume I didn’t get accepted (which I think is a ridiculous timeline lol).

On 4/10/2021 at 3:27 AM, KimKim said:

Hi everyone!

It's my first time posting here. I've been accepted to U of T MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy program and also to McGill's MA Counselling program (both the project and internship stream). I would really appreciate if you could help me in deciding which program would be a better suit for me.

I've applied as an international student, but am in the process of obtaining my permanent residency and am planning to work as a registered psychotherapist in Ontario. Due to the high international tuition rate at U of T ($40,000) compared to McGill ($20,000), I am dwelling whether paying the extra money is worth it. 

Does the Internship program at McGill allow me to become a registered psychotherapist in Ontario? Would the program at U of T be a quicker route?

I'd also like to know how you'd compare these two programs in terms of the quality of training.

Hi, Congrats!! I'm so happy for you! 

I went to McGill for undergrad and if I were you I would prefer McGill MA project stream > UofT MEd > McGill MA Internship. McGill is very strong in academic research and they will overprepare you for PhD. Housing expenses and tuition fee are much lower in McGill and Montreal. The only thing I would be aware of is bilingualism. I don't speak French fluently enough to be bilingual and it was comparably hard to find non-bilingual opportunities in counselling related volunteer or jobs. As other posts mentioned, MA would leave a lot more doors open comparing to MEd. I heard some average-ish comments about McGill Internship program, I personally would prefer UT MEd over McGill Internship. 

2 hours ago, VancouverPsych said:

Hey everyone! Just finding this thread a bit late but thought I would post to see if anyone’s on the same boat. I got waitlisted for the MEd program on March 29, and rejected from the MA program March 30. Is there an actual chance I’ll get accepted into the MEd program this year? They say if you don’t hear back from us until mid-August, I can just assume I didn’t get accepted (which I think is a ridiculous timeline lol).

Hey there! Did you get waitlisted for the Med in counselling and psychotherapy? 

Just now, VancouverPsych said:

Yup! Are you on the waitlist as well?

Congrats!! No, still waiting. Not trying to be doubtful but they have sent out acceptances, and waitlists..probably means a rejection on my end but my app is still under review!

You could email them and ask how many people are waitlisted, so you have a better idea. 

Just now, MSW2020lm said:

Congrats!! No, still waiting. Not trying to be doubtful but they have sent out acceptances, and waitlists..probably means a rejection on my end but my app is still under review!

You could email them and ask how many people are waitlisted, so you have a better idea. 

Thanks a bunch - I got rejected from all my other schools and this is the last thread of hope I’m holding onto lol. That’s a great idea about emailing them! I’ll report back with any details, if relevant. Hope you can get some clarity on your apps soon! It’s taking ridiculously long and it doesn’t help we’re mostly all highly anxious people haha

6 hours ago, VancouverPsych said:

Nice to see a fellow Vancouverite at least get wait-listed! Good Luck I really hope you get in - although mid August is just ridiculous! As for the rest of us, I think OISE needs to get their shit together and finally just send out all of the acceptance/rejection letters ASAP so we can all move on with our lives. Either way, knowing is so much better than this limbo!! 

On 4/10/2021 at 3:27 AM, KimKim said:

Hi everyone!

It's my first time posting here. I've been accepted to U of T MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy program and also to McGill's MA Counselling program (both the project and internship stream). I would really appreciate if you could help me in deciding which program would be a better suit for me.

I've applied as an international student, but am in the process of obtaining my permanent residency and am planning to work as a registered psychotherapist in Ontario. Due to the high international tuition rate at U of T ($40,000) compared to McGill ($20,000), I am dwelling whether paying the extra money is worth it. 

Does the Internship program at McGill allow me to become a registered psychotherapist in Ontario? Would the program at U of T be a quicker route?

I'd also like to know how you'd compare these two programs in terms of the quality of training.

Hi there congrats on your acceptances. Are you currently an international student? If yes, then you might know that there are instances where you can pay domestic e.g., if you are a dependent or partner of a tax paying individual. As well the government had passed some law that international students can pay domestic at graduate level, but that might adopted by in different ways across universities so look into that and maybe ask UofT about it.  The difference in cost is huge between the 2 for sure!!!

Email today from APHD Department:

"Our OISE registrar’s office is processing application decisions at this time. I’m told all applicants should receive an email update within the next two weeks.

If you are facing a deadline with another program offer, let us know and we can seek permission to release an unofficial application result via an alternate method."

So, they have extended the timeline multiple times, all other schools have finalized decisions ages ago, and they HAVE finalized results for students, but it is going to take them TWO MORE WEEKS to send them.

I'm so over it.

30 minutes ago, Hemingwho said:

"Our OISE registrar’s office is processing application decisions at this time. I’m told all applicants should receive an email update within the next two weeks.

If you are facing a deadline with another program offer, let us know and we can seek permission to release an unofficial application result via an alternate method."

So, they have extended the timeline multiple times, all other schools have finalized decisions ages ago, and they HAVE finalized results for students, but it is going to take them TWO MORE WEEKS to send them.

I'm so over it.

Oh wow! Well at least they'll let you know sooner if you're facing another deadline. 

Honestly at this point, I'm going about my life as if I've been rejected because I just can't keep waiting. So essentially I'm putting into action my plan B for not getting into grad school! 

1 hour ago, Hemingwho said:

I'm so over it.

ANOTHER TWO WEEKS??

So we should expect to hear back around the end of April? I'm rejecting UofT at this point. 

I'm emailing them tonight. I was hoping to get answer this week because I have several things depending on whether I'm accepted for September, some that need to be decided by the end of this week. Also, I think I'll be putting in my email how I feel about their lack of consideration for us in not emailing us with these updates.

This is so frustrating. Fingers crossed I get a response before the end of the week.

2 hours ago, taco-belle said:

I'm emailing them tonight. I was hoping to get answer this week because I have several things depending on whether I'm accepted for September, some that need to be decided by the end of this week. Also, I think I'll be putting in my email how I feel about their lack of consideration for us in not emailing us with these updates.

This is so frustrating. Fingers crossed I get a response before the end of the week.

Let us know what they say please. I hope they respond to you asap. 

16 hours ago, Hemingwho said:

Email them and just tell them u have another offer, I think. Apparently they'll give u the unofficial answer they're sitting on

I already accepted another school and I doubt I'd switch. It's just frustrating to have this prolonged waiting period

14 hours ago, MSW2020lm said:

Let us know what they say please. I hope they respond to you asap. 

Someone responded this morning! They said they couldn't tell me of course and gave me the spiel about them working hard to get answers out as quickly as possible.

21 hours ago, Hemingwho said:

I'm so over it.

I'm very curious who you spoke too... I emailed the general admissions email and recieved a response from someone named Allison.

17 minutes ago, VancouverPsych said:

Does anyone know if the 2021-2022 semester will be delivered online, in-person, or in hybrid form?

I heard students received a generic email saying that school is trying their best to bring back more on-campus activities and courses. Deliveries in specific department or of specific courses still TBD. But mostly in-person courses will also be accessible online.