MEd COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY (OISE, UofT)

Toughcook1e

On 4/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, Psychlover913 said:

I've been staying up to date with this forum, so I finally decided to make an account. I know that some have emailed Todd and received unofficial rejections. My question is...if Todd is able to tell us what decision was made for our application, then what is the delay in the process of uploading letters to us? It makes no sense to me. This has been such a frustrating process. 

Oh, don't worry. He emailed some people up to like two weeks ago saying they would get their rejections "very soon."  ...... lol.....

Edited by Hemingwho

Hey guys!

I was considering applying to UofT's program for Med counselling and psychotherapy but on the website it doesn't really show much about statistics.  I was wondering if anybody knows how many people they accept each year and the average number of applicants and admission gpa?  Also do you knows know how they calculate gpa? Is it our final 10 courses? Thank you!

5 minutes ago, vicky6872 said:

Hey guys!

I was considering applying to UofT's program for Med counselling and psychotherapy but on the website it doesn't really show much about statistics.  I was wondering if anybody knows how many people they accept each year and the average number of applicants and admission gpa?  Also do you knows know how they calculate gpa? Is it our final 10 courses? Thank you!

Not sure about averages, but I'm pretty sure that this year there were around 700 applicants and they were accepting 35 people into the program! 

Yes, they take your most recent 10 credits into account when calculating your sub GPA! 

Just now, Char-o-latte said:

Not sure about averages, but I'm pretty sure that this year there were around 700 applicants and they were accepting 35 people into the program! 

Yes, they take your most recent 10 credits into account when calculating your sub GPA! 

Thank you for replying!  Do you know if level of the courses in the final year matters?  I contacted McMaster and they only look at third and fourth year level when calculated my gpa, I was wondering if its the same for UofT?

On 4/15/2021 at 11:29 AM, taco-belle said:

I also emailed yesterday requesting my result and was told that I'll be reccomended for refusal. Not surprised, as I do not think I have enough experience but very frustrated I had to wait so long to find out. 

Wow! So sorry to hear that. My average and level of experience is nowhere near that, so I'm not sure what is required. I honestly don't know what more they could want. I have heard many stories from people in similar situations that have been denied multiple times from this program. 

I'm wondering if this year is more difficult for domestic students, because they are in desperate need of money (that is what I heard from someone in the registrar's office, unofficially) and international tuition is so much higher. Its a crime how much they charge international students.

In regards to selecting international vs. Domestic I wonder if that's really true and if even legal? I have asked around from some of the few people on here accepted and so far it seems majority but one are domestic myself included. There is the Global mental health program at OISE that is specifically for international students.. I wonder if that's part of the confusion? Someone else did also notice that in previous years very few Med counselling participate in this forum

13 hours ago, vicky6872 said:

Thank you for replying!  Do you know if level of the courses in the final year matters?  I contacted McMaster and they only look at third and fourth year level when calculated my gpa, I was wondering if its the same for UofT?

I haven’t asked but I think it is safe to assume that it is the same for UofT! You could also email oise admissions ☺️

7 hours ago, Happiness is key said:

Just to confirm - anyone received anything official yet?

Sadly no :( I’m trying to be hopeful that it won’t be bad news but I’m pretty sure at this point it’s a rejection for me. I don’t want to email Todd either, because it shouldn’t have gotten to the point where we need to reach out to ask about our decision. I applied to the MEd Developmental Psychology and Education Program a month ago too, so I’m assuming I won’t hear from them for a while. 

On 4/24/2021 at 1:14 PM, Hemingwho said:

Oh, don't worry. He emailed some people up to like two weeks ago saying they would get their rejections "very soon."  ...... lol.....

If one didn't receive an email saying they were placed on a waiting list by now, is it safe to assume they have been rejected? 

Thank you!

Good luck, everyone...

20 hours ago, AlmondCoffee said:

If one didn't receive an email saying they were placed on a waiting list by now, is it safe to assume they have been rejected? 

Thank you!

Good luck, everyone...

That’s what I’m beginning to think...but I’m still trying to be hopeful. I also want to believe that if they have looked at our applications, they would have sent something by now, right? Why would they wait to send something? I have no idea how this process works but I hope we hear something soon. 

9 minutes ago, Psychlover913 said:

That’s what I’m beginning to think...but I’m still trying to be hopeful. I also want to believe that if they have looked at our applications, they would have sent something by now, right? Why would they wait to send something? I have no idea how this process works but I hope we hear something soon. 

Oh, definitely, hope is the last to die? I'm not giving up just yet! I called Admissions yesterday, and they said that if your SGS portal says "Under Review", then "a decision has not yet been reached regarding your application, and that's why you have not been notified yet".

Can anyone who received an "unofficial rejection" shed some light as to how they were able to access that information?

1 hour ago, AlmondCoffee said:

Oh, definitely, hope is the last to die? I'm not giving up just yet! I called Admissions yesterday, and they said that if your SGS portal says "Under Review", then "a decision has not yet been reached regarding your application, and that's why you have not been notified yet".

Can anyone who received an "unofficial rejection" shed some light as to how they were able to access that information?

Hmm well that’s good to know that admissions said that to you. I’m gonna take that with a grain of salt haha. 

3 hours ago, AlmondCoffee said:

I emailed Todd, todd.will@utoronto.ca, who's the program coordinator. This is what he said: 

I’ve inquired about the status of your application and can report, unofficially, that your application to the MEd program will be recommended for refusal.    Unfortunately, with 702 applications for 35 spots this year, there is not enough spaces to accommodate all strong applicants.

I'm told you should receive the official application response via email very soon.

From a previous email I had sent, I had received this response: 

a decision has not yet been reached regarding your application, and that's why you have not been notified yet. 

As of now, my application still says "Under review". 

Sooooo yeah, idk lol. They're playing all of us. 

32 minutes ago, BobbiQueen said:

I emailed Todd, todd.will@utoronto.ca, who's the program coordinator. This is what he said: 

I’ve inquired about the status of your application and can report, unofficially, that your application to the MEd program will be recommended for refusal.    Unfortunately, with 702 applications for 35 spots this year, there is not enough spaces to accommodate all strong applicants.

I'm told you should receive the official application response via email very soon.

From a previous email I had sent, I had received this response: 

a decision has not yet been reached regarding your application, and that's why you have not been notified yet. 

As of now, my application still says "Under review". 

Sooooo yeah, idk lol. They're playing all of us. 

? I guess it ain't over till it's over...

Guys, if someone hears anything at all from OISE, can you please write in the forum?? 

It'll give the rest of us a flag that things are moving along. Because right now it feels like time has frozen and the pandemic doesn't help?

Hey Everyone, 

First time posting but I have found comfort in reading this forum over the past couple months knowing I wasn't the only one stuck. I received my official rejection about 20 minutes ago. I expected it but at least it's for sure now. Happy I can email my references to thank them and let them know the outcome rather than being left in the same joke of a waiting game I was. I've now accepted a graduate certificate in mental health and disability management starting in September. Congratulations to all of those who were accepted :)

5 hours ago, MaybeNextTime said:

Hey Everyone, 

First time posting but I have found comfort in reading this forum over the past couple months knowing I wasn't the only one stuck. I received my official rejection about 20 minutes ago. I expected it but at least it's for sure now. Happy I can email my references to thank them and let them know the outcome rather than being left in the same joke of a waiting game I was. I've now accepted a graduate certificate in mental health and disability management starting in September. Congratulations to all of those who were accepted :)

It's unfortunate to get a rejection, but I totally agree on the relief of closure :)

Congratulations on your certificate journey! It's great that you turned it around and made the most of this opportunity! Good for you!

I didn't apply anywhere else this year, but am definitely planning to put my eggs accross several baskets next year if I don't get in this year...

On 5/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, Psychlover913 said:

I’ve heard absolutely nothing yet ☹️

I haven't either. However, I have it in my mind that is a matter of time before receiving the rejection. I honestly forgot I applied to this program- I heard back from my other applications and will be getting my MSW this September!

Edited by ashleyym

Finally received my official rejection this morning - honestly after how long they made us wait I wasn't super eager to go to Toronto anyway. Not at all impressed by their student experience or their ability to communicate! 

Congratulations to anyone who got in this year! ❤️❤️