MEd COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY (OISE, UofT)

Toughcook1e

I was accepted to my second choice at OISE but I'm still waiting on the counseling response (my first choice). The three week deadline to accept the other offer is approaching. Does anyone know if I can extend the deadline given that the counseling program I'm waiting to hear back from is at OISE?

10 hours ago, Toronto92 said:

I was accepted to my second choice at OISE but I'm still waiting on the counseling response (my first choice). The three week deadline to accept the other offer is approaching. Does anyone know if I can extend the deadline given that the counseling program I'm waiting to hear back from is at OISE?

Have you emailed? I would email this email: oise.aphd@utoronto.ca  I got a response from an actual person yesterday within 6 hours. Explain your circumstance and see what they say! They may spread out their admissions like this on purpose so more people have a chance? When's the deadline? 

4 hours ago, Hemingwho said:

I think 35 but don't quote me on that

Do you know approx. out of how many applicants that is? A career counselor gave me a guess one time, but I'll have to see if I can look up her answer.

Edited by Toronto92

16 hours ago, MSW2020lm said:

Have you emailed? I would email this email: oise.aphd@utoronto.ca  I got a response from an actual person yesterday within 6 hours. Explain your circumstance and see what they say! They may spread out their admissions like this on purpose so more people have a chance? When's the deadline? 

I emailed them after I saw your suggestion lol The deadline is like early next week.

10 hours ago, Toronto92 said:

Does anyone know the acceptance rate/ # of applicants for counseling psyche? I'm curious how much harder it is to get into Counseling Psyche vs. Developmental Psyche MEd.

I believe that last year or two years ago something like 550 people applied to counselling psych and only 35 were accepted. But I'm not entirely sure!! I'm curious how much easier it is to get into the developmental psych program as well 

On 4/5/2021 at 7:25 PM, Toronto92 said:

you may accept the DPE offer now and override with the counselling psychology offer if you are admitted. That's what they told me!

47 minutes ago, F_J said:

you may accept the DPE offer now and override with the counselling psychology offer if you are admitted. That's what they told me!

They told me the same ☺️

Also - they said that accepting the offer does not impact their decision on your counselling psychology application (no, they will not see that you have accepted another offer and skip over you).

Edited by Happiness is key
Added the “Also ...”

16 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

Did anyone hear anything today? I saw a rejection on the results page for counselling psych. 

Just saw that! I'm wondering if it's the clinical psych program? Cause someone shared their rejection they got on the 6th and they also listed it as counselling psychology. :o 

Hi everyone!

It's my first time posting here. I've been accepted to U of T MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy program and also to McGill's MA Counselling program (both the project and internship stream). I would really appreciate if you could help me in deciding which program would be a better suit for me.

I've applied as an international student, but am in the process of obtaining my permanent residency and am planning to work as a registered psychotherapist in Ontario. Due to the high international tuition rate at U of T ($40,000) compared to McGill ($20,000), I am dwelling whether paying the extra money is worth it. 

Does the Internship program at McGill allow me to become a registered psychotherapist in Ontario? Would the program at U of T be a quicker route?

I'd also like to know how you'd compare these two programs in terms of the quality of training.

8 hours ago, KimKim said:

Hi everyone!

It's my first time posting here. I've been accepted to U of T MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy program and also to McGill's MA Counselling program (both the project and internship stream). I would really appreciate if you could help me in deciding which program would be a better suit for me.

I've applied as an international student, but am in the process of obtaining my permanent residency and am planning to work as a registered psychotherapist in Ontario. Due to the high international tuition rate at U of T ($40,000) compared to McGill ($20,000), I am dwelling whether paying the extra money is worth it. 

Does the Internship program at McGill allow me to become a registered psychotherapist in Ontario? Would the program at U of T be a quicker route?

I'd also like to know how you'd compare these two programs in terms of the quality of training.

Hi there, congrats on your acceptances thats amazing! Since McGill is in Montreal you wouldn't be registered in Ontario by graduating this program, you would have to go through the process of getting registered with the CRPO which is for Ontario. UofT will be the quicker route in this case because you would be registered with the college board in Ontario. as for the program quality of training im not sure if there is a difference. TBH they are both amazing schools and very well known so I feel for the most part how you learn and implement the knowledge you gain will play a big role in the quality of your training

Hope this helped!

9 hours ago, KimKim said:

Hi everyone!

When were you accepted, if you don't mind me asking?

You might want to check if there is faculty in either program specializing in your modalities of interest. Additionally, you could always look into which city seems preferable to you. 

9 hours ago, KimKim said:

Hi everyone!

Congrats! If you only plan to be a psychotherapist and stay in Ontario, Uoft is a quicker route. I totally agree with @LiveLovePsych

However, it is MA vs MEd. MA definitely offers a wider range of job opportunities (both clinical and counselling) and MA also benefits further academic study (if you ever want to pursue a doctor degree in psychology). MEd does not have a research component. I think it also depends on your interests in doing research. 

I did not realize UofT is that more expensive than McGill. I personally believe McGill has a better reputation in psychology, especially in US. If you get accredited in provinces other than Ontario and want to work as a registered psychotherapist in Ontario, you just need to contact CRPO. https://www.crpo.ca/labour-mobility/ I do not know the process very well, but maybe you can check CRPO website. I am sure it won't be a problem.