2021 Waitlist Thread

HomoLudens

I think I will remove myself from Bloomington's waitlist soon. Their department seems to be having a lot of problems. A friend of mine was ABD there and they completely fucked him over. His supervisor left the department, and no one was willing to take over for him due to infighting and department politics. They also seem to be lacking fresh blood on their faculty. Also, who wants to live in an Indiana cornfield for 6 years anyway?

3 hours ago, lurkingfaculty said:

I don't know anything about drama in the department, but they've hired three people quite recently who are all great. That's better than most departments are able to do right now with respect to hiring, so I'd say they have a fair amount of "fresh blood".

Fair enough, my contact left the department quite a while ago and things might have changed. I am just giving a report.

19 hours ago, lurkingfaculty said:

I don't know anything about drama in the department, but they've hired three people quite recently who are all great. That's better than most departments are able to do right now with respect to hiring, so I'd say they have a fair amount of "fresh blood".

19 hours ago, HomoLudens said:

I think I will remove myself from Bloomington's waitlist soon. Their department seems to be having a lot of problems. A friend of mine was ABD there and they completely fucked him over. His supervisor left the department, and no one was willing to take over for him due to infighting and department politics.

FWIW, there's different versions of this scenario in every department. In my department, one intended advisor left, and a second intended advisor retired. We have new hires, but they're too green to direct a dissertation and having non-tenured faculty on a dissertation committee is risky. Departments usually look different at dissertation stage than they did at admissions stage, and you'll probably be different by then too.

Accepted to Kent State's MA, but had to contact about the funding and I'm waitlisted for the assistantship. I was also told that I'm high on the list. Anyone know the odds on this sort of thing? I'm not really sure what to expect and I'm on edge.

Waitlisted at UWMilwaukee MA program. This is my only semi-positive response I've gotten this cycle so if anyone accepted is not interested in the program and is planning to decline please do so as soon as possible, it would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by A_bad_philosopher
Awkward wording/phrasing

3 hours ago, SkepticFutile said:

Also waitlisted at UW-Milwaukee MA program which is the best one I had positive response so far.

It seems that NIU accepts many students this year. I hope this is a good new for both of us, dude.

Yes hopefully this works out for both of us! I also applied to NIU but Brandeis/UWM are my top choices for now. Of course I'd be happy to go to NIU if they accept me. Fingers crossed! 

On 3/10/2021 at 1:36 AM, A_bad_philosopher said:

Waitlisted at UWMilwaukee MA program. This is my only semi-positive response I've gotten this cycle so if anyone accepted is not interested in the program and is planning to decline please do so as soon as possible, it would be greatly appreciated! 

I've seen some being on the waitlist at UW-Milwaukee (including myself) and many being high on the waitlist. I also know some get rejected there. But I haven't seen anyone reports that she gets accepted, which seems weird.

8 hours ago, PhilCoffee said:

I've seen some being on the waitlist at UW-Milwaukee (including myself) and many being high on the waitlist. I also know some get rejected there. But I haven't seen anyone reports that she gets accepted, which seems weird.

But in the Acceptance Thread, @MtnDuck said that he seemed to track from FB and there are already 4 acceptance.

Well, he is not sure though, I think.

11 hours ago, PhilCoffee said:

I know personally at least one person who got accepted to UW-Milwaukee. I think they did send out acceptance offers. Also according to the FB group there were a bunch of people claiming that they are going to decline the offers soon, so I am hoping that that opens up some spots for us. 

53 minutes ago, A_bad_philosopher said:

I know personally at least one person who got accepted to UW-Milwaukee. I think they did send out acceptance offers. Also according to the FB group there were a bunch of people claiming that they are going to decline the offers soon, so I am hoping that that opens up some spots for us. 

Cool. Wasn't on the FB group. I am taking myself off the waitlist (was not high from the fitst place), as I will probably decide between SFU and Texas Tech. Good luck!

26 minutes ago, PhilCoffee said:

Cool. Wasn't on the FB group. I am taking myself off the waitlist (was not high from the fitst place), as I will probably decide between SFU and Texas Tech. Good luck!

I see. Thanks for letting me know! Hopefully I will get bumped up to a higher position on the waitlist then. Good luck to you with SFU and TT!

5 hours ago, SkepticFutile said:

But in the Acceptance Thread, @MtnDuck said that he seemed to track from FB and there are already 4 acceptance.

Well, he is not sure though, I think.

Can confirm at least 4 folks over on FB have As ?. I'm going to try to figure out a way to add when folks are declining to the stats but might take a while ?

On 3/12/2021 at 1:27 AM, MtnDuck said:

Can confirm at least 4 folks over on FB have As ?. I'm going to try to figure out a way to add when folks are declining to the stats but might take a while ?

Thanks for your efforts to gather and present information, which is a great benefit to us international applicants. Salute!

Edit : I'm sorry I think I just commented at the wrong forum :") . I got waitlisted at my top gradschool and tried to connect with people who feel the same. 

Edited by aiai
Wrong forum section

20 minutes ago, Absurd'sTheWord said:

Waitlisted at Marquette (Ph.D.).

Strange that it is taking them so long this year.  Last year all first round offers went out on Feb 5th, just 4 days after the application deadline.  If my experience from 2020 is conveyable, you may have good chance to get an offer.  I will be sending good wishes on your behalf to the spirit-saints of good fortune.  Best wishes! 

I, along with the rest of the waitlist at UCSD, was invited to a virtual open house for them. Does anyone have experience with this? Will it be awkward to try to make connections as a person on the waitlist? Will there be different expectations for those accepted already versus those waitlisted?  

48 minutes ago, SmithM97 said:

I, along with the rest of the waitlist at UCSD, was invited to a virtual open house for them. Does anyone have experience with this? Will it be awkward to try to make connections as a person on the waitlist? Will there be different expectations for those accepted already versus those waitlisted?  

I did it with Minnesota. It was not weird at all, but I didn't go out of my way to make further contact or schedule individual meetings.

Question on professional correspondence. I am on the waitlist at Duke. Back in February, the director of grad studies encouraged me to reach out to him if I had questions about the program. I have emailed him twice since then expressing continued interest in the program and asking general questions. Have not received a response to either email. How should I interpret this? Keep emailing or take his lack of response as indication that I will not be accepted?

11 minutes ago, streetlight21 said:

Question on professional correspondence. I am on the waitlist at Duke. Back in February, the director of grad studies encouraged me to reach out to him if I had questions about the program. I have emailed him twice since then expressing continued interest in the program and asking general questions. Have not received a response to either email. How should I interpret this? Keep emailing or take his lack of response as indication that I will not be accepted?

The unresponsive grad director is one of my least favorite archetypes. I think all this tells you is that this particular person is unresponsive over email. I wish people realized how hard and confusing this is for applicants.