2021 Waitlist Thread

HomoLudens

2 hours ago, wwfrd said:

I’m the Irvine LPS waitlist- I hope it is a positive signal for the rest of my applications

I would say that is a great positive signal; kinda like when you get an extra toasty cheese-it in a regular cheese-it box and so you can confidently expect more extra toasty cheese-its.

Bravo, keep us updated on how things turn out for you and your other applications.

It's not clear to me whether the results page is showing that 3 accepted applicants. The info there states that 11 have been scheduled for an interview. Does this mean these 11 have been waitlisted (pending successful interview) and that there is a separate pool of applicants that have been accepted without needing an interview? Or is it that these 11 are the only candidates UCI is considering, and that everyone else is either rejected or possibly waitlisted?

On reflection, it make most sense to me that the 11 applicants are the only candidates UCI is considering. The results page also says that there is a 5 person waitlist, thus this interpretation makes the most sense. In that case...this seems to suggest that people who have received no interview-invite nor waitlist notification have been rejected...? Oh no :(

Edited by thescientificmethod

29 minutes ago, thescientificmethod said:

It's not clear to me whether the results page is showing that 3 accepted applicants. The info there states that 11 have been scheduled for an interview. Does this mean these 11 have been waitlisted (pending successful interview) and that there is a separate pool of applicants that have been accepted without needing an interview? Or is it that these 11 are the only candidates UCI is considering, and that everyone else is either rejected or possibly waitlisted?

On reflection, it make most sense to me that the 11 applicants are the only candidates UCI is considering. The results page also says that there is a 5 person waitlist, thus this interpretation makes the most sense. In that case...this seems to suggest that people who have received no interview-invite nor waitlist notification have been rejected...? Oh no :(

Yes I do think this is the case, that UCI is only admitting the 11 applicants that got the interviews, and only waitlisting the 5 applicants that got the waitlist. Plus, the results page also says that UCI is only giving those 11 people interviews rather than formal offers to satisfy certain university-level requirement at UCI. So I think it makes sense to view those interview invitations as de facto offers.

As for people who have received neither interview-invite nor waitlist notification (like me myself...), yes I think it is safe to say that we are rejected.

15 hours ago, thescientificmethod said:

So if you look up previous acceptances to UCI's LPS, someone last cycle has said, "Those invited to the interview (11 this year) are essentially already accepted. LPS is just required by the university to interview candidates in person before formally admitting them." My guess is that this is what is happening. In years past, those accepted to the LPS seem to receive a formal email in early to mid-Feb. which coincides with those who are also formally accepted to UCI's regular philosophy track program. I would imagine that the LPS is allowed to get a jump on early because of university's extra requirement to interview candidates.

FWIW, I doubt that this is an indication that other universities are going to release early. This is pretty standard for UCI's LPS. They normally notify LPS candidates around this time. If anything, it might indicate that most universities will be keeping with their normal timelines of when they notify people that they've been accepted. This is good news. 

Edited by Cloudsofrain

23 hours ago, Cloudsofrain said:

So if you look up previous acceptances to UCI's LPS, someone last cycle has said, "Those invited to the interview (11 this year) are essentially already accepted. LPS is just required by the university to interview candidates in person before formally admitting them." My guess is that this is what is happening. In years past, those accepted to the LPS seem to receive a formal email in early to mid-Feb. which coincides with those who are also formally accepted to UCI's regular philosophy track program. I would imagine that the LPS is allowed to get a jump on early because of university's extra requirement to interview candidates.

FWIW, I doubt that this is an indication that other universities are going to release early. This is pretty standard for UCI's LPS. They normally notify LPS candidates around this time. If anything, it might indicate that most universities will be keeping with their normal timelines of when they notify people that they've been accepted. This is good news. 

Just chiming in to say that (based on personal experience) this is largely correct. LPS is in the school of social sciences which requires interviews before sending out actual offers. In the past, LPS has treated this 'interview' as essentially a formality and a chance to sell their program (mostly by taking people to the beach ?). The philosophy department at UCI is in the school of humanities, so they are going to do things a bit differently.

I would not take UCI LPS as indicative of anything regarding other programs.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, vx138 said:

Can someone claim the Berkeley waitlist? 

Claimed over on the FB group. Also the mod says no one is in the waiting list for the FB group. Can you check to see if you got accepted/check that the questions were answered when you clicked join?

4 minutes ago, MtnDuck said:

Claimed over on the FB group. Also the mod says no one is in the waiting list for the FB group. Can you check to see if you got accepted/check that the questions were answered when you clicked join?

When I go to this page. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/philgradapp) it says that "This content is not available right now" and that the moderator set the group to private. I already tried joining so I don't think it will let me try again. 

19 hours ago, vx138 said:

When I go to this page. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/philgradapp) it says that "This content is not available right now" and that the moderator set the group to private. I already tried joining so I don't think it will let me try again. 

I was banned from the FB group, so I tried to join under an alt, and I encountered the same problem. That was a while ago, so IDK what the problem is.

Waitlisted at Texas A&M! Looks like several others got notified today as well. I was emailed by the DGS that they can only make funding offers to four students at a time, and that there is no ordering of the waitlist as it depends on the research interests of the first person who turns down their offer. I was also given a specific probability of my being accepted based on my individual application and areas of interest (higher than 50% woot woot). 

On 1/30/2021 at 4:14 PM, HomoLudens said:

I was banned from the FB group, so I tried to join under an alt, and I encountered the same problem. That was a while ago, so IDK what the problem is.

Wow wow wow, we definitely need this story ??