Boren 2021-2022

dubu_soop

One of my friends got Boren last year (South Africa) but hasn't been given the green-light to leave yet. A couple weeks ago, she told me that Boren sent out emails and notified last year's recipients that they'd be updated on their country-specific program status on April 16th (Friday). I'm assuming that's when we'll hear back at the earliest since I don't think it would make much sense for them to notify the new cohort about their program statuses before the older cohort. But maybe that's not the case - fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!?

Edited by lexiree123

50 minutes ago, lexiree123 said:

One of my friends got Boren last year (South Africa) but hasn't been given the green-light to leave yet. A couple weeks ago, she told me that Boren sent out emails and notified last year's recipients that they'd be updated on their country-specific program status on April 16th (Friday). I'm assuming that's when we'll hear back at the earliest since I don't think it would make much sense for them to notify the new cohort about their program statuses before the older cohort. But maybe that's not the case - fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!?

That's a very good point. But they did tell us (old cohort) it would be *by* April 16th, so there's still that possibility. Oh well, no use in guessing. Hopefully in the next few days both news should come out!

5 minutes ago, Umenohana said:

That's a very good point. But they did tell us (old cohort) it would be *by* April 16th, so there's still that possibility. Oh well, no use in guessing. Hopefully in the next few days both news should come out!

Oh! "By" being the operative word! That gives me a little more hope! Thanks haha

1 hour ago, lexiree123 said:

Anyone else holding their breath today?? I'll be refreshing my email nonstop until 11:59 PM haha! Good luck to us all?

I'm waiting on a tweet like this today, if I don't see it by like 3PM I assume it won't be today 

4 minutes ago, Tomsand said:

I'm waiting on a tweet like this today, if I don't see it by like 3PM I assume it won't be today 

Oooh yeah. Well they haven't been super active on twitter in the past few days/weeks so who knows if they'll say anything or if it will just be a surprise. I wonder if they tweet something like this every year. I know some people from the last cohort called Boren to ask when they'd be announcing, so if any of us get desperate enough that's another option lol

25 minutes ago, lexiree123 said:

Oooh yeah. Well they haven't been super active on twitter in the past few days/weeks so who knows if they'll say anything or if it will just be a surprise. I wonder if they tweet something like this every year. I know some people from the last cohort called Boren to ask when they'd be announcing, so if any of us get desperate enough that's another option lol

well i am desperate so i called and they said there is a good chance notifications will go out today but no guarantees. they said if not today then tomorrow but good chance it will be today

Just now, foreignpolicy123 said:

well i am desperate so i called and they said there is a good chance notifications will go out today but no guarantees. they said if not today then tomorrow but good chance it will be today

Thank you for your service. 

22 minutes ago, utpaturaldrisur said:

Does anyone know if you will be able to differ the scholarship until 2022-2023? Or are you expected to just work with what you get?

Probably not, deferrals were not allowed last year (at least in the beginning-- not sure if things ended up changing as covid got more serious)

39 minutes ago, bethanyc19 said:

Does anyone know if the decision email will contain the decision? or does the email direct you to a portal to view the decision? I just need to be cautious today when opening my email and make sure I'm ready?

It will contain the decision in the email itself.

1 minute ago, AONomad said:

Probably not, deferrals were not allowed last year (at least in the beginning-- not sure if things ended up changing as covid got more serious)

They kind of allowed us to defer, but not really. At first it was "you must leave by March 1st 2021, no matter what." I think that's the usual Boren guidelines. Then closer to the end of fall, they allowed us to defer our departure date to either summer or fall 2021. But in either case, we'd absolutely HAVE to come back to the US by December 31, 2021. Nobody would be able to stay into 2022. 

As mentioned above, they haven't actually told us if summer 2021 is an option. We're still waiting on that decision to come out. Haven't heard any updates since when we had to put in our deferral decisions in the fall.

So I think they'd be somewhat flexible, but don't expect no-strings-attached deferrals into the next academic year. You'd have to reapply.

Alternate for the Fellowship. Pleasantly surprised actually - my research was going to be in mainland China, so I thought if anything that would mean I was bound to be rejected, considering the current restrictions in place. Does anyone know how likely getting off of the alternate list  is?

Edited by Gwarth94

5 minutes ago, seagull_stan said:

When is the deadline for finalists to accept their awards?

May 2-- but some other people in my program who are alternates said they might not hear back as late as September in some cases according to what they were told

For the alternates, I don't know much about how likely it is to get promoted, but I am afraid chances are very low for us, especially with that September cutoff. My guess is that most people won't decline by May 2nd yet, and sit on the award and see where it takes them. Since travel approvals are so uncertain, it really doesn't make sense to decline, if they can just decline at a later date without any penalty. (That's what lots of us in the 2020 cohort have been doing, not many of us actually declined, unless they were absolutely sure that it's not what they wanted anymore)