How To Check Past Admission Results Release Dates

icemanyeo

Hi all,

Just wanted to plug this app by Martin Devaux (https://martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/) where you can check past admissions decisions over the years in a more organized fashion, so you can have an idea of when to expect releases for this year, COVID disruptions notwithstanding.

Good luck and don't stress too much!

1 hour ago, Number34 said:

You are giving them a tool that will induce stress. And yet you tell them not to stress too much.

I'd noticed a few people in other political science threads mentioned they were compulsively checking the results page -- this app at least gives people a timeline to expect to hear back. I know it helped me when I'd seen it shared previously in other threads. The app creator himself mentioned similar behavior since he didn't know when he'd hear back, which is why he created it.

Edited by icemanyeo

8 minutes ago, smug-face said:

Yeah OP, I disagree with @Number34-- I think for most people (me included), uncertainty is the main driver of stress. Having a good idea of when one can expect to hear back can be very helpful!

It is kind of like the question of if you would want to know the date you die. Not really a right answer on this one...

43 minutes ago, smug-face said:

Yeah OP, I disagree with @Number34-- I think for most people (me included), uncertainty is the main driver of stress. Having a good idea of when one can expect to hear back can be very helpful!

Having a good idea of when to expect stuff = uncertainity. There is no certainity in life. You dont know when you will get a reply. Going over every possible dates is also not going to tell you when they will let you know. Just chill and relax, you are going to be okay. I was rejected from all my schools last year. Did I die? Nope, I came back stronger. Stop trying to control your destnity. You will end up where you are meant to be. Now, What you do there, is entirely up to you.

Just now, Number34 said:

Having a good idea of when to expect stuff = uncertainity. There is no certainity in life. You dont know when you will get a reply. Going over every possible dates is also not going to tell you when they will let you know. Just chill and relax, you are going to be okay. I was rejected from all my schools last year. Did I die? Nope, I came back stronger. Stop trying to control your destnity. You will end up where you are meant to be. Now, What you do there, is entirely up to you.

Also can you give me more downvotes, I need to drop back to 43. 

Thx :P

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Clintarius said:

In the past month alone you guys have been using the app for a total of 320.88 hours as of today ?

How are you hosting this? I hope we're not costing you tons of money - if you need to, it might be worth pulling it down and just giving us the R code to run locally.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:05 PM, timeseries said:

How are you hosting this? I hope we're not costing you tons of money - if you need to, it might be worth pulling it down and just giving us the R code to run locally.

It's not costing a lot don't worry! I just have to pay a few bucks per month for it to support the number of hours running, but I won't have to after March once people stop using it as much. Independently of that, if you want to run the R code locally there's a GitHub link to the code on the page.