SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

On 5/5/2021 at 2:04 PM, Slow Poke said:

For everyone figuring out how to accept you may:

1. Open the result letter (it is one of four letters you would have received from SSHRC).

2. Scroll to its bottom to the link for Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide on the SSHRC - Scholarships and Fellowships (sshrc-crsh.gc.ca)

3. Open link and click on through to the guide - NSERC – Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide (nserc-crsng.gc.ca)

4. Click on acceptance or decline of award. For SSHRC, you need to email appropriate program contact - scholarshipsadministration@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

5. What you need to send in the email (apart from file number) is listed under acceptance or decline of award.

6. Once you email them, you'll get an automated response from SSHRC. Mine said they will write back in 10 days.

PS: Your institution may have other documents for you to fill in. Mine got to fill in a first installment form.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:02 AM, Jahoon said:

Hello Everyone. I'm wondering if you know how I should notify the Council that I'm accepting my award. I have already emailed them but haven't heard back yet.

Do we need to email scholarshipsadministration@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca or fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca to indicate whether we accept or decline the award? I read in their website that "Award recipients must accept or decline by sending an email to the appropriate program contact, stating whether they accept or decline, and confirming the start date. " It seems like fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca  is the appropriate email since it is listed under "program contact"

21 minutes ago, SunnySet said:

Do we need to email scholarshipsadministration@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca or fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca to indicate whether we accept or decline the award? I read in their website that "Award recipients must accept or decline by sending an email to the appropriate program contact, stating whether they accept or decline, and confirming the start date. " It seems like fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca  is the appropriate email since it is listed under "program contact"

I was in error there. Thanks for correcting.

Just got my feedback scores, looks like one of committee members provided a significantly lower scores than the other and that shot down my chances. 

There really should be more transparency in these awards. One person having a bad day, or not understanding your discipline completely alters your ability to fund phd studies. 

Hi everyone, I've been a visitor to these forums for a few years, but just made an account!

I emailed to accept my award and confirm my September 1 start (and received the 10 days auto-email). However, after the initial award excitement wore off, I realized that it is better for me to have a start date of May 1 (I'm already in my PhD program). ? I sent another email to SSHRC about requesting the change in start date late this week.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation before or knows anyone who has? I know it's possible to request a change in the start date, but I'm a bit worried they won't honour the change request because I initially confirmed the offered date of September 1.

Sorry if this question just seems silly! (I am a bit of a worrywart...)

On 5/7/2021 at 1:20 PM, marloe said:

Just got my feedback scores, looks like one of committee members provided a significantly lower scores than the other and that shot down my chances. 

There really should be more transparency in these awards. One person having a bad day, or not understanding your discipline completely alters your ability to fund phd studies. 

Did you email them for feedback? How long did it take for their response?

21 hours ago, Jiya said:

How do we check result and score ? I applied through institution.

You should have an email with a subject starting with "Competition Results - Doctoral Awards", in the email there should be a link to set your password, and you can use that to log in, with your username being your email. Once you're logged in, there should be a letter with your results

29 minutes ago, thejorts said:

Did you email them for feedback? How long did it take for their response?

You should have an email with a subject starting with "Competition Results - Doctoral Awards", in the email there should be a link to set your password, and you can use that to log in, with your username being your email. Once you're logged in, there should be a letter with your results

Took a few days from when I emailed for the feedback to arrive. You don't get much, just the two sets of scores from each reviewer.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, marloe said:

Took a few days from when I emailed for the feedback to arrive. You don't get much, just the two sets of scores from each reviewer.

Did the same, the whole process was pretty quick, about two days between me sending the email and getting results. If other people are looking to get this (limited) feedback, I'd recommend shooting off an email and you should hear back soon.

Hi all,

Someone had suggested we had the ability to reach out to SSHRC re: our score breakdown, which I did! They give you your exact score from your committee members if you e-mail to ask.

Information relevant to committee #3B below :) Hard to know I was only 5 away from being awarded, hahaha! Better luck next year.

Total Score

Rank

Success rate and rank necessary to be offered an award

14.85 / 20

81 / 151

Success rate of the competitions: 42.94%

The top 65 ranked applications of 151 applications submitted to Committee 3B were offered awards.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard about receiving an alternate award? SSHRC confirmed nobody was advised if they were waitlisted or not. Only funded/not funded letters were sent out. So, anyone who is an alternate might be hearing soon. Has anyone received an email letting them know they received an alternate award? 

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2021 at 9:07 AM, PainResearcher said:

Hi all,

Someone had suggested we had the ability to reach out to SSHRC re: our score breakdown, which I did! They give you your exact score from your committee members if you e-mail to ask.

Information relevant to committee #3B below :) Hard to know I was only 5 away from being awarded, hahaha! Better luck next year.

Total Score

Rank

Success rate and rank necessary to be offered an award

14.85 / 20

81 / 151

Success rate of the competitions: 42.94%

The top 65 ranked applications of 151 applications submitted to Committee 3B were offered awards.

Who did you contact for this information? My results letter says SSHRC doesn't do this for anybody?

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2021 at 7:59 PM, officehours said:

Has anyone heard about receiving an alternate award? SSHRC confirmed nobody was advised if they were waitlisted or not. Only funded/not funded letters were sent out. So, anyone who is an alternate might be hearing soon. Has anyone received an email letting them know they received an alternate award? 

Hey if anyone's still here lol.. I just found out this week that my SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship is being upgraded to a CGS-D! I didn't know that could happen. I guess because some people who weren't going to Canadian schools couldn't accept a CGS-D so they must have some kind of list of who gets it in that case? Anyways, I hope everyone's having a good summer!

• 4 months later...