SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

5 minutes ago, asdf1123 said:

Congrats to you too! I heard that when this happened in previous years, they will eventually find out and send an email asking us to choose between two options, either switching to a Canadian university or opting for the SSHRC doctoral fellowship instead. I emailed them to make sure anyways, but I don't think they'll withdraw the awards 

I'm in the same boat here. Though, if you read the CGS eligibility very carefully it is actually confusing and makes no sense. It is clear that it must apply to a Canadian institution, but otherwise very vague in terms of applicant eligibility. 

WOOOOOT

I got a CGS-D! Scored 17.04 in committee 2.

In case anyone is interested in details: I am a direct applicant not currently enrolled in a program and have been out of the academic world for a few years (graduated from my MA program in 2018). I have one non-peer-reviewed publication and a few conferences, none of which are related to my proposed program of study. I think I was successful largely due to really strong recommendation letters, good grades (4.3 undergrad GPA, 4.0 MA), and a strong program of study (plus I had a SSHRC for my MA -- not sure if that actually helps).

Good luck to everyone reapplying next year and I hope those who are still waiting receive good news!!!

p.s. Does anyone else find it hilarious that documents are uploaded to the SSHRC extranet in Word online?

Edited by seeveeargh
clarification

8 minutes ago, asdf1123 said:

Congrats to you too! I heard that when this happened in previous years, they will eventually find out and send an email asking us to choose between two options, either switching to a Canadian university or opting for the SSHRC doctoral fellowship instead. I emailed them to make sure anyways, but I don't think they'll withdraw the awards 

Thank you very much and thanks for this info. Fingers crossed for all of us. More waiting though...

10 minutes ago, seeveeargh said:

WOOOOOT

I got a CGS-D! Scored 17.04 in committee 2.

In case anyone is interested in details: I am a direct applicant not currently enrolled in a program and have been out of the academic world for a few years (graduated from my MA program in 2018). I have one non-peer-reviewed publication and a few conferences, none of which are related to my proposed program of study. I think I was successful largely due to really strong recommendation letters, good grades (4.3 undergrad GPA, 4.0 MA), and a strong program of study (plus I had a SSHRC for my MA -- not sure if that actually helps).

Good luck to everyone reapplying next year and I hope those who are still waiting receive good news!!!

p.s. Does anyone else find it hilarious that documents are uploaded to the SSHRC extranet in Word online?

Congrat-SSHRC-lations!!!!!

Hi everyone!

I've been following this thread religiously, and it's been such a huge help during this waiting game! I'm one of the lucky ones this year, I got a CGS-D with a score of 18.89. Last year I was rejected with an only slightly different application with a score of 11.5 though... it just goes to show how much luck goes into these decisions. Congratulations to everyone who was successful this year, and if you weren't, try not to give up! My experience has told me it's completely random, which is awful considering the application and waiting game is so painful.  

I just accessed the SSHRC portal. Rejected with a score 15.27/20 Committee 3 (7523). First year PhD; first time applicant.

Question to those who applied more than once: when you applied a second, or third time, and succeeded then, did you change you application significantly? Any advice? Thank you in advance!

3 minutes ago, EllieDee said:

I just accessed the SSHRC portal. Rejected with a score 15.27/20 Committee 3 (7523). First year PhD; first time applicant.

Question to those who applied more than once: when you applied a second, or third time, and succeeded then, did you change you application significantly? Any advice? Thank you in advance!

My application didn’t change very much at all, but my research shifted slightly as I went along so maybe it was more different than I thought? My marks also went up a bit, and I got one different letter writer. Honestly I almost didn’t apply again, but I just tried to make sure my application reflected my research in the best possible way. Good luck to you moving forward! 

I've been given a CGS-D, score 17.86, committee 3. I'm in interdisciplinary studies and this is my second time applying. I wish so badly to share this with those who didn't win this arbitrary lottery. I was wait-listed last year, which didn't amount to anything. Those of you who are heavy with disappointment --try to forget and move on. You will get it next year. For real. 

My details for those who care:

I'm in second year and this is my second time applying. Last year, I was waitlisted at 12.95. My proposal is almost the exact same but I've since completed doctoral coursework with a GPA of 4.33. I had a strong MA GPA (4.17), too, but a crappy undergraduate GPA. Perhaps, without my doctoral transcript they weighed my undergraduate transcript with more weight? 

Also new on this successful application --in comparison to my unsuccessful one last year-- are two refereed pubs, two conferences, a couple more RAships, TAships, research affiliations and my dissertation committee was finalized. I mention this latter part because I think my committee is SSHRC-sexy (one CRC and a Lansdowne Chair in Law). 

19 minutes ago, Kmp182 said:

Hi everyone!

I've been following this thread religiously, and it's been such a huge help during this waiting game! I'm one of the lucky ones this year, I got a CGS-D with a score of 18.89. Last year I was rejected with an only slightly different application with a score of 11.5 though... it just goes to show how much luck goes into these decisions. Congratulations to everyone who was successful this year, and if you weren't, try not to give up! My experience has told me it's completely random, which is awful considering the application and waiting game is so painful.  

Well done. Congratulations!  The scores this year seem crazy skewed from previous years—in my year (2019) there were people with scores between 10.2-12.5 on the waitlist and it seemed as though everyone over 12.6 or so got the SSHRC Fellowship.  

Thank you for sharing the detailed information about your application (you too, Seeveeargh and anyone else I missed). 

For those of you who were not successful this time around, please do not despair nor define your worth by these things. 

A few notes about my successful application (SSHRC doctoral, not CGS):  As mentioned by Seeveeargh, I also suspect that a big part of my success was due to really strong letters of recommendation.  I was an MA SSHRC recipient, had one forthcoming peer-reviewed publication, a 4.38 MA GPA (I can't remember my undergrad GPA), and I had a great number of TAships and RA work.

Edited by museless

5 minutes ago, Kmp182 said:

My application didn’t change very much at all, but my research shifted slightly as I went along so maybe it was more different than I thought? My marks also went up a bit, and I got one different letter writer. Honestly I almost didn’t apply again, but I just tried to make sure my application reflected my research in the best possible way. Good luck to you moving forward! 

Thank you for your reply Kmp182. It's disappointing for me to fail the first time around but will try again next year. Congratulations on your CGS-D!

14 minutes ago, Kmp182 said:

You didn’t fail!! It’s complete chaos over there, my score literally jumped more than 7 points in one year. You have tons of time.

I second this!!. All research is meaningful and impactful. In competitions like this, it can solely come down to who reads your application and whether or not it strikes their fancy, and how their day has gone. These competitions reveal nothing about a person's character, success or failure as a researcher. At this level of academia, we all are winners, and are all conducting research to better the lives of others. Whether you have received an award, or not, take the time to congratulate your self for 1) making it to this level of adjudication and 2) being so passionate about a topic to seek funding as a graduate student. Funding or not, give your self a pat on the back, crack open a drink, or do something that makes you happy. Life goes on, and so does research. 

Hi everyone, congrats to those who got the news they were hoping for and all my best wishes to those who did not. I got my notification from SSHRC this evening, I won a SSHRC Doctoral Award (not CGS D) with a score of 15.67/20. I applied twice for SSHRC during my MA and the first year did not get it, second year was waitlisted and didn't get it in the end. Now I am currently completing my MA and entering my PhD in the fall. I applied through my current institution. I finished my undergrad with a 3.74/4.30 GPA, and I've finished my MA coursework with a 4.30/4.30 GPA. My MA degree has been fully funded by scholarships and awards, I've held multiple TAships and RAships, presented at multiple conferences, held an endowed internship at an American university last summer, as well as a number of other internships. I had two forthcoming publications at the time of my application, one peer reviewed and one not, but both being published by academic publishers. I had very strong reference letters as well. I hope this information might be helpful. 
Congratulations to everyone for making it to this level of the competition, which is truly an achievement in itself! Take care everyone. 

Edited by NewPhDStudent

Last year my university rejected my sshrc before it even got to the competition. This year 17.42 won CGS-D. 

Now I have a tough decision. The university is interested in me for Vanier but they said if I accept sshrc, even if I take one year for sshrc I hold Vanier...

Hi everyone, I have been following this forum religiously all day today. Just wanted to share my results if it's helpful to anyone. First-year PhD student who was awarded CGS-D with a score of 18.7 in committee 2. I'm feeling incredibly lucky as it seems that it really can come down to whoever is on the committee + people saying that they submitted similar research proposals in different years and got accepted the second time but not the first. Best of luck to everyone! You are all brilliant and all of our research is important no matter what any institution says! ❤️ 

Just having my morning coffee here in the UK and bracing myself to open the extranet email after reading all your stories -- I am amazed at how high the scores are for the unsuccessful applications, so after getting an 11.something two years ago (didn't apply last year), I am preparing myself for a 'no'. I'll let you know (when I can get to the point of opening my email without puking!).  ??

And huge congratulations to those of you getting the wins this year, it is lovely to see these rolling in!!?

Just now, socphd20 said:

Rejected with 16.36... external applicant (studying in the UK)

Holy f%$#! That is a really high score. Also in UK, now I am even more trepidatious about opening the email?

I hope you can apply again next year, socphd20.

1 minute ago, Snackerson said:

Holy f%$#! That is a really high score. Also in UK, now I am even more trepidatious about opening the email?

I hope you can apply again next year, socphd20.

I saw the score first when I opened the letter and was sure I got the scholarship. I then saw "we regret to inform you..." I am in second year so will definitely apply again next year. 

Good luck!