SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

23 minutes ago, stuart_d said:

Rejected with a 13.5 for committee 3. 

Not sure what else I am going to be able to improve my application, with my resources. 

Is any feedback provided, or the scores just arbitrarily decided? 

You can email them to the fellowship@SSHRC... address and ask for the breakdown of your score - it shows how you scored on both sections, and what each assessor gave you. I'm not sure how helpful it is, since it is so subjective, but at least it gives you a tiny bit more information.  I would wait a week or two before emailing for this info, and then it will likely take another couple of weeks to receive the results.

4 minutes ago, Lyasaidso said:

Accepted in committee 3 (demography) with a score of 17.74 - good news after hearing that I was waitlisted for OGS!

1 minute ago, chopper.wife said:

I just got my email and got CGSD, best of luck to everyone!!

Congratulations to both of you. This is super exciting! you must feel so amazing!!! 

Just now, JHSinclair said:

So, so far nobody on a waitlist?  Does that give those of us nearish to the cut-off a tiny tiny bit of hope?

Does it say in your letter that you are put on a waitlist? How did you know?

Just now, SNH said:

Does it say in your letter that you are put on a waitlist? How did you know?

in previous years you were told if you were on a waitlist.  So I assumed when I got my "regret to inform you" that that was it.  But if nobody has been told they are waitlisted, then maybe there is a list of "meritorious alternate applicants" (from 'Selection Procedures') who will be contacted if anyone turns down their award (as a few people inevitably do).

2 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

in previous years you were told if you were on a waitlist.  So I assumed when I got my "regret to inform you" that that was it.  But if nobody has been told they are waitlisted, then maybe there is a list of "meritorious alternate applicants" (from 'Selection Procedures') who will be contacted if anyone turns down their award (as a few people inevitably do).

So if it doesn't explicitly say that you are in the "meritorious alternate applicants" list, then you are not in the waitlist, right? or there is no way to know?

1 minute ago, SNH said:

So if it doesn't explicitly say that you are in the "meritorious alternate applicants" list, then you are not in the waitlist, right? or there is no way to know?

That's kind of my point.  Has anyone been told they are on the waitlist?  Or is there not one this year (as far as applicants know?)  Look, I'm just grasping at straw here ?

Edited by JHSinclair

That's kind of my point.  Has anyone been told they are on the waitlist?  Or is there not one this year (as far as applicants know?)  Look, I'm just grasping at straw here ?

ohh, so you're trying to figure out the same thing hahaha it definitely doesn't hurt to be hopeful ?

I wasn't told I was on a waitlist via SSHRC. I am assuming it would come from my department, maybe tomorrow?

Just now, Kat_Espresso said:

I wasn't told I was on a waitlist via SSHRC. I am assuming it would come from my department, maybe tomorrow?

How do you know this is how it works though?

1 minute ago, Kat_Espresso said:

I was waitlisted before for the CGS-M, it came from my department, not SSHRC. Although I don't know if that has changed since then..

if there was nothing on your letter, it makes sense to assume it's the same this year then. & it probably really sucks to be waitlisted for CGS and not get it, or did you end up getting it? just trying to see if there is still hope LOL

3 minutes ago, SNH said:

if there was nothing on your letter, it makes sense to assume it's the same this year then. & it probably really sucks to be waitlisted for CGS and not get it, or did you end up getting it? just trying to see if there is still hope LOL

it presumably works differently for direct applicants though.  And last year people were told on their letter on SSHRC extranet if they were waitlisted.  As I say though, I'm just grasping at straws, don't listen to me!

it presumably works differently for direct applicants though.  And last year people were told on their letter on SSHRC extranet if they were waitlisted.  As I say though, I'm just grasping at straws, don't listen to me!

arrghh you are probably right and I shouldn't' stay hopeful only to be disappointed again. I'm going to stay away from GradCafe now. Congrats to everyone who won! 

3 minutes ago, roxy31512 said:

I was offered the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships, but I am studying in the UK...? 

Same here! I emailed them to ask about it. I thought I was the only one in this situation! 

1 minute ago, asdf1123 said:

Same here! I emailed them to ask about it. I thought I was the only one in this situation! 

Phew! Uh, I hope this doesn't mean we aren't getting anything now? Congrats

Edited by roxy31512

3 minutes ago, roxy31512 said:

Phew! Uh, I hope this doesn't mean we aren't getting anything now? Congrats

Congrats to you too! I heard that when this happened in previous years, they will eventually find out and send an email asking us to choose between two options, either switching to a Canadian university or opting for the SSHRC doctoral fellowship instead. I emailed them to make sure anyways, but I don't think they'll withdraw the awards 

Edited by asdf1123