SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

I just got mine too and it was a rejection lol ? good luck to those of you who are waiting! I'm glad to have FRQSC so I won't be applying again...

Just received my email about 15 minutes ago. Rejected with 14.02, committee 4. No idea what to make of the score without any kind of breakdown, but it's higher than what I expected for not having much at all published!

For anyone (like me) who wasn't sure what committee they were in, check here: https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/apply-demande/background-renseignements/doctoral_committees-comites_doctorat-eng.aspx

While it's tough right now, I'd also like to remind everyone of the below:

On 4/19/2021 at 6:37 PM, thejorts said:

The important thing to remember is that if you do get accepted, it's merit-based and you absolutely deserve it. If you're rejected, it's just luck, arbitrary, political, etc., so don't worry about it!

Edited by thejorts

5 minutes ago, SNH said:

I just got mine too and it was a rejection lol ? good luck to those of you who are waiting! I'm glad to have FRQSC so I won't be applying again...

Did you apply to this year's FRQSC competition? I'm still waiting on a response.

2 minutes ago, stuart_d said:

As side note, are the CGS-D announcements done at the same time as these announcements?

For example are some of the folks getting acceptances, get acceptance for CGS-D while others are getting SSHRC Doctoral ? 

I’m wondering the same thing... Someone in my cohort got the SSHRC doctoral, so my hopeful side is thinking maybe I got CGS-D and that’s why I haven’t heard back... or maybe I got neither and I’m holding on to a pipe dream haha

4 minutes ago, alxnl said:

Did you apply to this year's FRQSC competition? I'm still waiting on a response.

No, I got FRQSC in the last year's competition. I got my results on April 30th 11.59pm or something like that. I remember, I was so anxious to find out and I was waiting up. Best of luck for you with FRQSC!

With SSHRC, I got such a low rating this year too even though I worked more on my application and felt so much better about it. It just shows how subjective these things are and very dependent on who reads your application.

1 hour ago, ChrisA said:

For those who received extranet emails already: Did the come from the same fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca address as the last "SSHRC Doctoral Awards Results" heart-attack email in early April? Thanks so much!

it was called "Competition Results -Doctoral Awards (my application number)

Hello! Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Also just got my rejection. Scored 14.53, committee 1 (art history). I'm a second-year MA, got into an American school for PhD, so this is my first time applying to SSHRC. I got CGS-M before and have 3 forthcoming peer-review publication (at the time of applying I listed only 2).

Am curious what others in my field/committee 1 got and congrats to everyone who was successful! Planning to reapply in the fall.

Just heard today - have been awarded a Doctoral Fellowship - 4th time applying - philosophy (+history, dead languages etc) committee, whatever number that is - score was 16.44 - have no publications but a small handful of conferences (5 or 6)- was a more or less identical application to last year's but with one change of referee and an updated biblio - last year's was awarded 12.5 - Am absolutely gobsmacked I had been told that the more often you apply the less likely you will be to succeed with SSHRC - Had totally lost hope and  only reapplied this year because I really really needed to find funding one way or another  - so I can only say to anyone didn't succeed this year  KEEP GOING!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, Cognitive Equity said:

@Splendid Isolation   Isn't it a bit odd if someone gets a lower score but is accepted and you're not? I thought the whole point was the score?

There must be more to it than the score which seems very odd. I thought it was the difference between committee, but I've just received an offer for the SSHRC doctoral fellowship with a score of 15.64 on committee 3 (in urban planning). It was also my 3rd time applying!

For those wondering about my studies or you're on this forum in a year from now, you can checkout my website which has some details+CV. Feel free to contact me with any questions. The wait is hard. The multiple rejections are hard. This is an arbitrary funding game without the fun. All you can do is hope for the best and keep on trying. Focus on your research and making the world slightly better with your research. All is not lost! :)

Right after I ate too much cheese I got an email from SSHRC to make a password for the extranet which I did and now I'm trying to sign in but it's not loading

AHAHFHGJDGKFDHHJFIHRWEHHKKHGKHFKHKHSDKD HALP