SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

27 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Just a note, my department had my result (didn't get it), so hopefully soon we should have official SSHRC notifications!

I am really sorry to hear you didn't get it, and how you found out ?  If anyone lets it slip they should just confirm, our nerves can't take anymore!

I also wanted to say this is my first time posting, but I have been following this forum for the last month and have found immeasurable comfort in it. No one else in my cohort applied so reading about how we are all anxiety ridden has made me feel a little better about myself and general lack of productivity in the last week. This is my second time applying, first time didn't make it out of the graduate school level so this is my first time with the April wait and it is...not great. 

Good luck to everyone! 

57 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

My advisor accidentally let it slip and then retracted it -- which is a mindfuck of its own. But for the sake of my sanity, I am going to stick with it wasn't a mistake in what she said but that she said it. But yeah, they aren't supposed to tell us but they have it, 99.9% sure. 

I don't understand the logic in this. Why would SSHRC notify graduate studies or departments beforehand (April 30th) but now allow them to tell us? Ughhh. Does anyone have any theories about this? Could it be that, they let them know, in case for administrative reasons, we can't get our results on time and THEN they can tell us?? 

This week is going to be literally the longest week of my entire life!!! How do you all pass the time, I can't focus on any actual work, even-though there is a ton to do of course!!

On 4/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, Generic_Applicant said:

Question: On WebApps, my SSHRC app has disappeared. In the infamous heart attack email, it says results will be available on extranet and we'll have a separate email with instructions on how to activate the extranet account. I didn't get this email yet. Is that the same for you guys too and do we have to wait till the result notification to activate/access extranet?

I'm not sure why but I got the extranet email with my login a few months ago? I think in December, it has my SSHRC Covid Papers from a 2018-2019 CGS-M so maybe that's why I got it? Either way, I'm super anxious, especially knowing that departments may have our results- Goodluck everyone :) 

1 minute ago, SNH said:

I don't understand the logic in this. Why would SSHRC notify graduate studies or departments beforehand (April 30th) but now allow them to tell us? Ughhh. Does anyone have any theories about this? Could it be that, they let them know, in case for administrative reasons, we can't get our results on time and THEN they can tell us?? 

This week is going to be literally the longest week of my entire life!!! How do you all pass the time, I can't focus on any actual work, even-though there is a ton to do of course!!

Generic said this was done in error, there's no logic to that. :) I've read on a few posts that the depts typically find out before we get access via email. We have no control over this process, so stressing out isn't really helping or changing anything. I'm working on my Plan B (other scholarship apps) in the meantime. 

This is my first post here, though I've lurked for over a year and am now also waiting for the SSHRC response. 

Just to put things in perspective for everyone, my partner applied for a Marie Currie Post Doc this year and was in the bottom 50% of the selection committee, but for a Canadian SSHRC PostDoc was number 4 out of 120 for the committee. 

It was a very similar proposal, so the takeaway was: sometimes what you're doing gels with the readers and sometimes it doesn't. Try to not get too hung up on the results. 

19 minutes ago, Cognitive Equity said:

Generic said this was done in error, there's no logic to that. :) I've read on a few posts that the depts typically find out before we get access via email. We have no control over this process, so stressing out isn't really helping or changing anything. I'm working on my Plan B (other scholarship apps) in the meantime. 

You are right that stressing about it won't really help anything and that we don't have any control over the whole process but I honestly I can't help it :( I will try to to do other things to keep my mind off of this but it's going to be so HARD.

12 minutes ago, goingtoplaydevilsadvocate said:

My graduate secretary just emailed me saying that SSHRC results are expected the first week of may. So maybe a little bit longer of a wait.

I sincerely hope your graduate secretary is doing the kind of thing I used to while working in restaurants when I told people it would be 20 mins for their table when it would really only be 10.

2 hours ago, seeveeargh said:

I'm guessing SSHRC doesn't notify schools first for direct applicants (i.e., those currently unaffiliated with a university)?

No they don’t. I mean, how would they? Us direct applicants just have to wait.  

10 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

No they don’t. I mean, how would they? Us direct applicants just have to wait.  

Damn. I figured as much but thought maybe there was some communication between PhD programs and SSHRC for direct applicants. Oh well.

1 hour ago, goingtoplaydevilsadvocate said:

My graduate secretary just emailed me saying that SSHRC results are expected the first week of may. So maybe a little bit longer of a wait.

Ours did that last year, too, but results were released earlier haha. I honestly have no idea with SSHRC anymore it feels like it's just a magical entity that floats in and out as it pleases lol

4 hours ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Just a note, my department had my result (didn't get it), so hopefully soon we should have official SSHRC notifications!

It really is unethical for departments and/or Graduate Studies Faculties to let students know before SSHRC does, even though this is also the way I heard a few years ago. 

So sorry to hear you were not successful. For everyone else, the fact that some departments know results may mean that results will be posted sooner rather than later ... not that there seems to be any rhyme or reason to how these things are communicated nor any consistency from one year to the next. Argh!

All the NSERC doctoral applicants are starting to see their results trickle in now. Looks like they got their extranet emails late last week, departments knew yesterday, and results are being posted today.

Hopefully SSHRC is not too far behind.

32 minutes ago, NewPhDStudent said:

Has anyone other than Generic found out through their department? I wonder if it's worth it for me to send an email to my dept and ask 

I am meeting with my supervisor in about 30 minutes and plan to ask her about whether the department knows anything, so I will update with that information once I do!

1 minute ago, GradSchool24 said:

So painful, I'm concerned that extranet logins haven't gone out yet-based off of NSERC's timeline that means were waiting until early May ?

It was always the case we were waiting until the first week of May.  There is a tiny chance of Friday, otherwise prepare yourself for this time next week. 

Btw- I still have access to my extranet page from last year, and it says my documents will be uploaded “soon”.  

Doesn't NSERC typically come out 1-2 weeks before SSHRC results? I agree with others that this isn't looking great for us finding out this week since they are just getting their access + results yesterday/today. Because the 1st of May is a weekend, I'm guessing schools will get results by the 30th/Friday (I believe they have always found out in April).

Last year I think it was a good 2 days of extranet emails before results were released? Last year my results weren't uploaded until May 1st. I've also been checking my old extranet account and nothing yet. 

Hi to everyone from last season and everyone else! Any other 4th year students here? Somehow this season of applications feels slightly more stressful than the last 4. 

1 minute ago, elodie said:

Doesn't NSERC typically come out 1-2 weeks before SSHRC results? I agree with others that this isn't looking great for us finding out this week since they are just getting their access + results yesterday/today. Because the 1st of May is a weekend, I'm guessing schools will get results by the 30th/Friday (I believe they have always found out in April).

Last year I think it was a good 2 days of extranet emails before results were released? Last year my results weren't uploaded until May 1st. I've also been checking my old extranet account and nothing yet. 

Hi to everyone from last season and everyone else! Any other 4th year students here? Somehow this season of applications feels slightly more stressful than the last 4. 

Yeah, I think NSERC results were supposed to be released mid-April but there were Technical Difficulties so they delayed until end of April.

I'm still holding out hope for this week because of the SSHRC tweet that said doctoral results will be in by end of April. This week has already been terrible so this is the one thing keeping me going lol.

2 minutes ago, elodie said:

Is it naively hopeful that a year into covid and the new extranet system that they'd have their stuff together enough to be a little more timely? You're probably right that we won't be seeing anything come in until the end of this week / early next week, but you never know!