SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

41 minutes ago, MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec said:

The answer to this question might be obvious to others, but the email we received on the 6th tells us that we will receive a "separate system-generated notification with steps on how to activate [our] extranet account[s]". 

Is this the email we will be receiving at the end of April, or should we expect yet another "heart attack" email in the interim? I recognise that we all submitted our applications through the "SSHRC Web Portal", but it is not apparent that this is the same as the "extranet for applicants".

Thoughts?

I think we should anticipate getting another "heart attack" email to brace ourselves. ?

48 minutes ago, farhsa8 said:

I think we should anticipate getting another "heart attack" email to brace ourselves. ?

Last year was very funny, which I think this year it should be fixed:
(1) People received the extranet email notifications on different days

(2) I was one of the last ones who received that email
(3) But i tried to log in before receiving and worked for a day, but there was no result in there
(4) Then they started uploading the results on the extranet batches by batches
(5) Again I was one of the last ones, so I lost my patience and contacted the graduate office of awards and stuff
(6) Conclusion, we dont know what is going to happen. One thing is for certain your office of awards thing at your institution knows the results before you get them. Also, in many cases your department (e.g department of psych of econ or whatever) knows the result before you do.

21 minutes ago, kahou said:

(3) But i tried to log in before receiving and worked for a day, but there was no result in there
(5) Again I was one of the last ones, so I lost my patience and contacted the graduate office of awards and stuff
(6) Conclusion, we dont know what is going to happen. One thing is for certain your office of awards thing at your institution knows the results before you get them. Also, in many cases your department (e.g department of psych of econ or whatever) knows the result before you do.

If you attend a school that is not in Canada though, will your school know the results before you if you're successful? I'm guessing not? I'm currently studying in the US.

3 minutes ago, withfaith said:

If you attend a school that is not in Canada though, will your school know the results before you if you're successful? I'm guessing not? I'm currently studying in the US.

I dont think so (but not very sure), because you directly applied to SSHRC, right?
It wasnt through an institution with quota, right?

Just now, kahou said:

I dont think so (but not very sure), because you directly applied to SSHRC, right?
It wasnt through an institution with quota, right?

yeah - direct applicant. I guess I'll just have to wait for the extranet email and THEN when the results get uploaded. 

3 hours ago, kahou said:

This is very helpful information, in case the same thing happens. I hope it doesn't though. It's my 1st time applying, so I have no idea what to expect. If I don't hear from SSHRC and don't get the extranet email or the letter, should I just contact my department to find out about the my results? Also would they have the results for everyone or just the ones that were successful, do you know?

2 minutes ago, SNH said:

This is very helpful information, in case the same thing happens. I hope it doesn't though. It's my 1st time applying, so I have no idea what to expect. If I don't hear from SSHRC and don't get the extranet email or the letter, should I just contact my department to find out about the my results? Also would they have the results for everyone or just the ones that were successful, do you know?

My understanding is that SSHRC announce the results (win or not win) to your institution (for example McGill), your institution passes that information to your department.

27 minutes ago, kahou said:

My understanding is that SSHRC announce the results (win or not win) to your institution (for example McGill), your institution passes that information to your department.

That's good to know & I'm in McGill so I will find out through my department even if SSHRC is late with results. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, SNH said:

That's good to know & I'm in McGill so I will find out through my department even if SSHRC is late with results. Thanks.

hahahaha, I unintentionally and randomly guessed your university right. Im going to buy a lottery ticket right now

Just now, kahou said:

hahahaha, I unintentionally and randomly guessed your university right. Im going to buy a lottery ticket right now

You did! haha good luck. Hopefully you win the SSHRC lottery ;)

5 hours ago, kahou said:

Yeah, that is how I remember last year, except that I was able to log on before receiving the email alerting me to check the extranet (NOT the same as the portal), which just led to me hitting refresh every 5 seconds for 4 straight days.  I actually received the email alerting me to the extranet 3 days after my results were posted.  I'm a direct applicant, so there is no school office to contact, but not all schools will tell you anyway, or necessarily receive the results before you.

Just now, TurnLeft said:

/sobs/ LOL

These applications and the subsequent rejections have been a great life lesson in resilience and perseverance though! The biggest lesson though being not to measure my self-worth based on the outcome. Work in progress. Ouff ?

1 hour ago, Generic_Applicant said:

These applications and the subsequent rejections have been a great life lesson in resilience and perseverance though! The biggest lesson though being not to measure my self-worth based on the outcome. Work in progress. Ouff ?

This has been the lesson throughout my PhD as well. Sometimes it ends well and sometimes you just get another shot at it. It's so hard to separate your self-worth from arbitrary accomplishments and merit scholarships though! lol

Just now, Bmay said:

This has been the lesson throughout my PhD as well. Sometimes it ends well and sometimes you just get another shot at it. It's so hard to separate your self-worth from arbitrary accomplishments and merit scholarships though! lol

Yeah, that is the trap! It's so tempting to look for an easy fix on the inside because the internal work is much more painstaking and takes way longer! ? But what I've also learned from 6 years or so of grad school and grant apps is that pinning my self-worth on these apps is actually what is the most painstaking. Getting to a point of rather doing the internal work ?

Felt like sharing this here, sorry it's off the mark of getting our results. Been on the forum for a while and thought I would add this side-thought!

19 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Yeah, that is the trap! It's so tempting to look for an easy fix on the inside because the internal work is much more painstaking and takes way longer! ? But what I've also learned from 6 years or so of grad school and grant apps is that pinning my self-worth on these apps is actually what is the most painstaking. Getting to a point of rather doing the internal work ?

Felt like sharing this here, sorry it's off the mark of getting our results. Been on the forum for a while and thought I would add this side-thought!

Thanks for sharing. I feel the same way. Glad to have this forum to commiserate. I'm a 4th year and going into my 5th, so either way I'm motoring along. Under promise and over deliver!

1 hour ago, Bmay said:

The important thing to remember is that if you do get accepted, it's merit-based and you absolutely deserve it. If you're rejected, it's just luck, arbitrary, political, etc., so don't worry about it!

27 minutes ago, thejorts said:

The important thing to remember is that if you do get accepted, it's merit-based and you absolutely deserve it. If you're rejected, it's just luck, arbitrary, political, etc., so don't worry about it!

This is so true!??