SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

2 hours ago, MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec said:

So far I've been able to distill the following from everyone's comments and observations:

(1) We will be issued the results on a separate web platform than the one we submitted our application through;

(2) We do not yet have access to that platform, but we will be given access a few days before we receive the results;

(3) Some of us may receive access and/or results as early as April 26 or 27, but likely not. The most likely scenario is that we will receive these results on the 29th or 30th, and potentially as late as the 4th or 5th of May; and

(4) There does not appear to be any rational basis for when certain people receive access or results in relation to others.

So, with that, I'd say, distract the mind with other things and tune back into SSHRC land late next week to see what might have changed. Best of luck to all.

Wow. Very nice!

What are you, an academic or something?? ;)

On 4/19/2021 at 5:37 PM, thejorts said:

The important thing to remember is that if you do get accepted, it's merit-based and you absolutely deserve it. If you're rejected, it's just luck, arbitrary, political, etc., so don't worry about it!

Bahaha. Love this!

[I'm new to GradCafe and wanted to use "Imposter" as my handle but apparently it was already taken (as are so many variants thereof), so I am not that imaginative.]

I feel your pain. Holy cow, it is ridiculous how much we define ourselves by these things. I did not hear (thank goodness, a successful outcome) until May 6th, and even then my Faculty of Graduate Studies accidentally congratulated me before I got the letter from SSHRC. At least in theory, uploaded results should/could all be posted at once. 

Just wanted to say I'm so glad I started this thread – as an international student stuck in Canada I haven't been able to meet any other PhD students from my cohort and I don't think anyone from my uni applied to SSHRC. Nice to meet likeminded individuals to share the anxiousness of waiting especially during a pandemic. Regardless of the results, we all got into our respective PhD programs because we're competent in our fields – and that's the mantra I'm gonna keep repeating to myself because I lose perspective at times. ?

15 hours ago, TurnLeft said:

Should we start a poll? 

Who's got Monday as the start of release day... ?

I think it'll be Tuesday or Wednesday! But I'd be happy if it was Monday!

Side note, is anyone else in the UK at the moment?? I've applied for SSHRC and an AHRC scholarship and waiting for both at the same time is killing me. 

I think it is very likely that we won't hear until after next weekend, at least most of us.  They have been pretty rigid about sending out the letters by mail on April 30 or May 1 in the past, and last year the extranet log-in emails didn't start until the 28th, with the first recipients notified on April 30 (and then most people had to wait until the next week).  So prepare yourselves for the wait!

Edited by JHSinclair

11 hours ago, frances1642 said:

I think it'll be Tuesday or Wednesday! But I'd be happy if it was Monday!

Side note, is anyone else in the UK at the moment?? I've applied for SSHRC and an AHRC scholarship and waiting for both at the same time is killing me. 

I'm in the UK!  AHRC have all been notified in my DTP, with no news for me :(  Better luck for you I hope!

On 4/25/2021 at 12:44 AM, JHSinclair said:

I'm in the UK!  AHRC have all been notified in my DTP, with no news for me :(  Better luck for you I hope!

Apparently there was a cap on international students for AHRC - I'm on the reserve list and thought I'd hear by now, but turns out they're finalizing the international decisions in the third week of May! Don't know if that applies to you but worth mentioning :)

Will be good to hear about SSHRC first - hopefully it goes well and I won't have to wait on the AHRC stuff, but if it doesn't it's going to be a longggg wait till the end of May. 

1 hour ago, frances1642 said:

Apparently there was a cap on international students for AHRC - I'm on the reserve list and thought I'd hear by now, but turns out they're finalizing the international decisions in the third week of May! Don't know if that applies to you but worth mentioning :)

Will be good to hear about SSHRC first - hopefully it goes well and I won't have to wait on the AHRC stuff, but if it doesn't it's going to be a longggg wait till the end of May. 

Sorry everyone else for the tangent!

I knew about the cap on intl AHRC, but  hadn’t heard about the delay.  That actually explains the mixed messages people on TSR etc are getting about whether they are out or not.  Is this true for all the DPTs?
I actually don’t know if I’m overseas or not, I’m caught up in the post-Brexit fees snafu because the govt haven’t stated clearly that spouses of British citizens are Home, like they were when we were part of the EU, and the only category was spouses of EU citizens.  So I’m probably not counted in either category for funding like AHRC, which is super frustrating.  

12 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

Sorry everyone else for the tangent!

I knew about the cap on intl AHRC, but  hadn’t heard about the delay.  That actually explains the mixed messages people on TSR etc are getting about whether they are out or not.  Is this true for all the DPTs?
I actually don’t know if I’m overseas or not, I’m caught up in the post-Brexit fees snafu because the govt haven’t stated clearly that spouses of British citizens are Home, like they were when we were part of the EU, and the only category was spouses of EU citizens.  So I’m probably not counted in either category for funding like AHRC, which is super frustrating.  

I've sent you a message so no one else has to read our tangent, sorry everyone :P

Just loove complicated funding stress! Keeping fingers crossed we all start to hear about SSHRC this week. 

2 hours ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Also gonna say end of the week!

My guess is extranet email by Friday and results starting May 3rd. By then, we'll have time to ask our admin what the results are because I think they'll find out by April 30 haha

Just now, Cognitive Equity said:

@Generic_Applicant wowsers. I'm sorry to hear that. Jesus this a nail biter. Did you literally just get an email from your department or did you ask them?

My advisor accidentally let it slip and then retracted it -- which is a mindfuck of its own. But for the sake of my sanity, I am going to stick with it wasn't a mistake in what she said but that she said it. But yeah, they aren't supposed to tell us but they have it, 99.9% sure. 

4 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

My advisor accidentally let it slip and then retracted it -- which is a mindfuck of its own. But for the sake of my sanity, I am going to stick with it wasn't a mistake in what she said but that she said it. But yeah, they aren't supposed to tell us but they have it, 99.9% sure. 

Totally NOT ok. That's messed up! Now i feel like i don't really want to know. :( 

What is your research about?

Edited by Cognitive Equity

7 minutes ago, Cognitive Equity said:

Totally NOT ok. That's messed up! Now i feel like i don't really want to know. :( 

What is your research about?

I'm not super surprised because that wasn't a good proposal that I submitted. But like, every year, I feel like we all feel that... 

Anyway, I'd rather not share too much about my research to keep it anonymous still, sorry! It's in clinical psychology. 

7 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

I'm not super surprised because that wasn't a good proposal that I submitted. But like, every year, I feel like we all feel that... 

Anyway, I'd rather not share too much about my research to keep it anonymous still, sorry! It's in clinical psychology. 

No worries, i understand. 

Yikes. My department probably knows as well in that case. I think I'll sit and wait until more people find out and if I still haven't heard then I will msg the admin. That's what I did last year and they did tell me before SSHRC did.