SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Yea. I noticed there was no thread for this year so thank you for creating this one. The results are normally released on May 1st right? that's what i've read in previous threads. We still have to wait 3 whole months!!! 

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone see their application on the portal still? I had it earlier last month but now I tried to log-in and I only see my resume, and my application is gone from the portal.. I am super worried about it.

@Kkp
No, the application disappeared in November/December at some point, leaving only the CV. At least in my case it did.

I would not be terribly concerned about this. It seems as if this is part of the process.

Edited by MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec

18 hours ago, Kkp said:

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone see their application on the portal still? I had it earlier last month but now I tried to log-in and I only see my resume, and my application is gone from the portal.. I am super worried about it.

Yes, mine disappeared as well and I also assumed it's part of the process – but relieving to hear from others the same happened to them! 

11 hours ago, SNH said:

Yea mine disappeared too and I wasn't concerned about it. I assumed it was part of the process. How are you all feeling having to wait 2.5 more months ?

What do you guys want to talk about until then? I vote we just list frivolous consumer purchases that we will make should we be blessed enough to receive the grant. 

@MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec I agree! haha that sounds like fun, even though I don't really want to buy anything. I really wanted to travel to some places (Like Italy, Japan, maybe India) since I don't get to travel often but now with the pandemic that obviously isn't possible. I guess I will save the $$ until I can travel. I want to use the money for something else though, it's not really purchasing anything for myself I know. I want to have a laser eye surgery that costs around 5-6k. I could never afford it but if I get this, I will do it. I'm just so sick of wearing glasses and contacts. I just want to wake up and be able to see without aid!! I just realized how sad this makes my life look. hahaha oh well...lol. What do you all wanna buy?

On 2/11/2021 at 8:31 PM, SNH said:

Yea mine disappeared too and I wasn't concerned about it. I assumed it was part of the process. How are you all feeling having to wait 2.5 more months ?

Feeling antsy especially during a pandemic! 

On 2/12/2021 at 8:18 AM, MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec said:

What do you guys want to talk about until then? I vote we just list frivolous consumer purchases that we will make should we be blessed enough to receive the grant. 

I love this idea! I'd love to upgrade to a mirrorless camera with prime lens. 

On 2/13/2021 at 2:03 AM, SNH said:

@MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec I agree! haha that sounds like fun, even though I don't really want to buy anything. I really wanted to travel to some places (Like Italy, Japan, maybe India) since I don't get to travel often but now with the pandemic that obviously isn't possible. I guess I will save the $$ until I can travel. I want to use the money for something else though, it's not really purchasing anything for myself I know. I want to have a laser eye surgery that costs around 5-6k. I could never afford it but if I get this, I will do it. I'm just so sick of wearing glasses and contacts. I just want to wake up and be able to see without aid!! I just realized how sad this makes my life look. hahaha oh well...lol. What do you all wanna buy?

And then take shots with my camera while travelling! Lasik would be such a good investment! 

@nijnata high quality camera actually sounds pretty nice too. I want one too! which one would you be getting? i don't know much about cameras.

and yea I really want to do the Lasik. Hopefully, we'll all get it. Fingers crossed!!

37 minutes ago, thejorts said:

am I allowed here if I'm waiting to hear about the CGS-D more than the doctoral fellowship?

my frivolous purchase: rent, maybe a little food if I'm feeling crazy

Rent!? Food!? Now that is the type of frivolous spending I was hoping to spotlight here.

My understanding is that the CGS-D cannot be applied for (or received) separately from the Doctoral Award. Am I wrong on this? If so, I can think of no other thread worthy of calling home in your case; particularly in light of your proposed lavish lifestyle.

1 minute ago, MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec said:

Rent!? Food!? Now that is the type of frivolous spending I was hoping to spotlight here.

My understanding is that the CGS-D cannot be applied for (or received) separately from the Doctoral Award. Am I wrong on this? If so, I can think of no other thread worthy of calling home in your case; particularly in light of your proposed lavish lifestyle.

Everything I've read says these two bad boys of the scholarship world are joined at the hip, just didn't want to harsh anyone's mellow by talking about CGS when nobody else had brought it up yet.

Hope I'm not setting the bar too high for luxury by suggesting I might also spend this sweet sweet cash on heat.

22 minutes ago, thejorts said:

Hope I'm not setting the bar too high for luxury by suggesting I might also spend this sweet sweet cash on heat.

During a time where so many are facing such difficulty and struggle, your cavalier spending aspirations are insensitive and amount to violence.

I thought the CGS and SSHRC are the same thing? if you're eligible and highly ranked, they'd offer the CGS and if not you'd get the other or none...That's how it works right?

Also, how do you all reply to a specific person? I can't seem to understand how that's done....

On 2/27/2021 at 9:53 PM, SNH said:

I thought the CGS and SSHRC are the same thing? if you're eligible and highly ranked, they'd offer the CGS and if not you'd get the other or none...That's how it works right?

Also, how do you all reply to a specific person? I can't seem to understand how that's done....

CGS is offered through the three parts of the Tri-Agency, one of which is the SSHRC. When you apply for Doctoral awards through SSHRC, your application goes into both the CGS-D and Doctoral Fellowship competition, if you're eligible.

If you want to quote someone to reply to them, click the "quote" button next to the plus sign under their comment, and their message will be included as a quote in your reply like I've done here.

1 hour ago, thejorts said:

CGS is offered through the three parts of the Tri-Agency, one of which is the SSHRC. When you apply for Doctoral awards through SSHRC, your application goes into both the CGS-D and Doctoral Fellowship competition, if you're eligible.

If you want to quote someone to reply to them, click the "quote" button next to the plus sign under their comment, and their message will be included as a quote in your reply like I've done here.

I knew about the tri-agency but SSHRC is the only one that's relevant to me so that's the only one I paid attention to. It's called the Joseph Armand Bombardier Scholarship. I think I'm eligible for it, since I'm in my 2nd year of my PhD program. Fingers crossed!!!

I think there is an element of luck that also affects how we are ranked too. I don't know. What do you all think? Because I've heard of people winning the CGS-Joseph Armand Bombardier which is the most competitive (not including Vanier) and yet they weren't able to win FRQSC (with is a provincial scholarship from the Government of Quebec) so how is that even possible?!!!

Also, does anyone know what date exactly (April 30th or May 1st?) we will find out about the results and whether it will be through the portal we applied to or through our institutions? 

Thank you for showing me how to "reply" to people. I had no idea it was that simple lol.

15 minutes ago, SNH said:

Also, does anyone know what date exactly (April 30th or May 1st?) we will find out about the results and whether it will be through the portal we applied to or through our institutions? 

Let us all hope it is like last year, by email rather than by letter!  Of course, it’s still an excruciating wait because it seems there are only a couple of people sending out the notifications manually.  They came out slowly and in a random order, so many people heard through their school first.  I didn’t receive my rejection until May 4, but I think they started on the 1st. 

oh, and my big research council funded purchase will be a trip home to Canada (should it be safe to do so)

Edited by JHSinclair

2 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

Let us all hope it is like last year, by email rather than by letter!  Of course, it’s still an excruciating wait because it seems there are only a couple of people sending out the notifications manually.  They came out slowly and in a random order, so many people heard through their school first.  I didn’t receive my rejection until May 4, but I think they started on the 1st. 

Yea it would really suck if we have to wait well into May to find out. We are already waiting for monthssss. Hopefully they'll do the same thing as last year....

On 3/1/2021 at 10:02 PM, MarleyBarley said:

Can I join this chat? im waiting to hear back on nserc pgs-d and frqnt.. its a long wait since submission in november...

As someone who just barged into this thread, I am officially allowing you to join. Welcome! And good luck!