SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

Hi folks. I have a dumb question related to SSHRC that I'm hoping someone here might know the answer to.

I've applied to a PhD program -- only one due to the fact that it's in my city and I can't move for the foreseeable future -- and to SSHRC. But as someone who is currently 'unaffiliated' (I finished my MA in 2018 and have been working full-time in an unrelated field since then), I applied directly to SSHRC.

So here's the question: What happens if I don't get into the program but get a SSHRC? Is that even possible? Is there any communication between SSHRC and the university even though I'm not a current student?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

23 hours ago, seeveeargh said:

Hi folks. I have a dumb question related to SSHRC that I'm hoping someone here might know the answer to.

I've applied to a PhD program -- only one due to the fact that it's in my city and I can't move for the foreseeable future -- and to SSHRC. But as someone who is currently 'unaffiliated' (I finished my MA in 2018 and have been working full-time in an unrelated field since then), I applied directly to SSHRC.

So here's the question: What happens if I don't get into the program but get a SSHRC? Is that even possible? Is there any communication between SSHRC and the university even though I'm not a current student?

I heard that it is possible, and that you can potentially use this funding help bolster your case at a school that you didn't apply to it. I think it depends on a lot of factors, but not all programs fill their PhD programs by the time SSHRC, releases their results. 

On 3/5/2021 at 10:59 PM, seeveeargh said:

I suggest contacting SSHRC directly and asking them – they've been very helpful in the past with addressing scenarios that were a bit more complex (such as yours). 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:59 PM, seeveeargh said:

It's not a dumb question at all. It is definitely possible and if that happened to you, you can let your the program you applied to know that if they admit you, you would be coming with your own funding. I heard that most programs limit the number of PhD's they admit due to budget limits and if you come with your own funding which will be the case if you win SSHRC, most programs are happy to admit you. I feel like winning SSHRC, especially CGS-D is much more competitive than getting into a PhD program.  At least that's what I think.

21 minutes ago, roxy31512 said:

Hi all. Does anyone know if there is a particular day/1st half or 2nd half of April when results 'typically' come out? Thank you.

I think it's typically end of April or early May depending on how results are sent to applicants (online vs. mail). I read through last year's SSHRC doctoral thread and it seems like most people got their results right on April 30 or even May 1, but it was a weird situation due to COVID -- they changed the way results are sent out. Normally they are sent via snail mail, but SSHRC set up an extranet system for applicants to check their results online. I'm not sure how the results will be sent this year. I personally hope they stick with the online system 'cause it's a bit faster.

Thanks for starting this topic, @Farhsa8! I applied directly to SSHRC as I am at a UK university, in my second year of the PhD.

I didn't apply last year, which was my first year of the program, as I just didn't have time. However, I did apply the year before (unsuccessfully) as a direct applicant, @seeveeargh -- like you I was not yet enrolled and had to list institutions where I thought I would end up studying (I ended up somewhere else).  I second what others say - if your SSHRC app is successful, it bodes well for a place at your chosen program.

My question for everyone -- I recall getting a 'pre-selection' letter in the mail in Feb 2019 telling me that my application was being forwarded to the next stage of assessment. Haven't gotten one of those this time round, just an email last fall saying my application had been received. Anyone else get one of those 'pre-selection letters' this time?

3 hours ago, Snackerson said:

Thanks for starting this topic, @Farhsa8! I applied directly to SSHRC as I am at a UK university, in my second year of the PhD.

I didn't apply last year, which was my first year of the program, as I just didn't have time. However, I did apply the year before (unsuccessfully) as a direct applicant, @seeveeargh -- like you I was not yet enrolled and had to list institutions where I thought I would end up studying (I ended up somewhere else).  I second what others say - if your SSHRC app is successful, it bodes well for a place at your chosen program.

My question for everyone -- I recall getting a 'pre-selection' letter in the mail in Feb 2019 telling me that my application was being forwarded to the next stage of assessment. Haven't gotten one of those this time round, just an email last fall saying my application had been received. Anyone else get one of those 'pre-selection letters' this time?

I honestly don't know how it works if you're a direct application to SSHRC. I've always applied through the institutions since I'm at a Canadian University and they have two rounds (one department, one university) before getting forwarded to SSHRC. When mine got forwarded I got a letter from the graduate studies studies saying my application got forwarded but I haven't gotten anything from SSHRC ever since I applied, other than the generic "we've received your application" email which is the same one as yours.... 

15 minutes ago, SNH said:

I honestly don't know how it works if you're a direct application to SSHRC. I've always applied through the institutions since I'm at a Canadian University and they have two rounds (one department, one university) before getting forwarded to SSHRC. When mine got forwarded I got a letter from the graduate studies studies saying my application got forwarded but I haven't gotten anything from SSHRC ever since I applied, other than the generic "we've received your application" email which is the same one as yours.... 

Hmmm... Thanks SNH. 

7 hours ago, Snackerson said:

Hey, I'm also a direct applicant as I'm applying as an overseas student. I haven't received a pre-selection letter either. Hopefully they're just not doing it this year? I'm going to message SSHRC directly and ask. 

Edited by farhsa8

2 hours ago, farhsa8 said:

Hey, I'm also a direct applicant as I'm applying as an overseas student. I haven't received a pre-selection letter either. Hopefully they're just not doing it this year? I'm going to message SSHRC directly and ask. 

Good idea -- I have thought about writing them to ask but couldn't bring myself to do it in case they said something like, oh, we lost your application, or, nope, you did not get to the next level.  

I should add to the earlier conversation about the fantasy spend --  I would also use some of the money for a visit home to Canada to see my family, once we are all vaccinated etc. If I can go at the end of summer it will be two years since I have seen my nearly 90-year-old mother. Plus some trips around UK, make up for lost time.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:02 PM, Snackerson said:

Good idea -- I have thought about writing them to ask but couldn't bring myself to do it in case they said something like, oh, we lost your application, or, nope, you did not get to the next level.  

I should add to the earlier conversation about the fantasy spend --  I would also use some of the money for a visit home to Canada to see my family, once we are all vaccinated etc. If I can go at the end of summer it will be two years since I have seen my nearly 90-year-old mother. Plus some trips around UK, make up for lost time.

Good news, they scrapped the "adjudication stage" so all direct applications get forwarded to the national stage – so we only hear back about our final outcome in April. Yay, we're still in the game! 

Also, I hope you get to visit your grandma soon! I heard the vaccination process has been quicker in the UK so hopefully that speeds things up!  

9 hours ago, farhsa8 said:

Good news, they scrapped the "adjudication stage" so all direct applications get forwarded to the national stage – so we only hear back about our final outcome in April. Yay, we're still in the game! 

Also, I hope you get to visit your grandma soon! I heard the vaccination process has been quicker in the UK so hopefully that speeds things up!  

Yay! is right! Thank you so much for checking, farhsa8!  I'm relieved to know that my app didn't just end up in a forgotten folder on someone's desktop.

As for vaccinations in the UK, I am going for my first one tomorrow and my second one will be 11 weeks later. So a visit to Canada looks more possible (with or without SSHRC lottery winnings) :)

20 hours ago, displacedcontent said:

During last year's competition, I was notified of my outcome on May 1st, 2020. I was shortlisted at 12.95/20 --this did not materialize into an award. I was pretty devastated.

Fingers crossed for us all. 

Better luck this year!

Speaking of fingers being crossed, I'm doing it. I'm getting friends, family to do it too. I'm grabbing strangers off the street and crossing their fingers. Got a good feeling about this group right here.

41 minutes ago, thejorts said:

Better luck this year!

Speaking of fingers being crossed, I'm doing it. I'm getting friends, family to do it too. I'm grabbing strangers off the street and crossing their fingers. Got a good feeling about this group right here.

I'm crossing my fingers, but also have very little hope. I can't stop saying "under promise, over deliver". The wait has still been very hard! This is my 4th year as a PhD student applying, so it would really help with the job applications and give me funding until I graduate. 

Any other 4th years who applied on here?

We're (maybe) in the month where we're going to get some results! I'm only waitlisted for OGS at my school, which is making me less optimistic about my CGS-D/fellowship chances, but I'm still holding onto those good vibes.

How's everyone doing? Did you apply for any other awards or funding? How did that go?

1 hour ago, thejorts said:

We're (maybe) in the month where we're going to get some results! I'm only waitlisted for OGS at my school, which is making me less optimistic about my CGS-D/fellowship chances, but I'm still holding onto those good vibes.

How's everyone doing? Did you apply for any other awards or funding? How did that go?

I'm an international student so I'm only eligible for SSHRC (fellowship not CGS-D) and Trudeau (which I haven't applied to yet). Wishing you all the best with OGS and SSHRC! I was waitlisted for OGS during my Master's and got it after a few months so you never know! 

19 hours ago, stuart_d said:

Saw this tweet from SSHRC : 

So looks like "end of April" for results. 

AAAHHH oh my gosh, thank you for sharing!

So sounds like they will be sticking with the extranet system for sharing results with applicants rather than snail mail?

Hi everyone! Good luck with SSHRC this month!! I'm waiting to find out from Sheffield in the UK - soooo glad to see that we might find out online rather than by mail, I was worried about international snail mail being delayed with covid stuff. Very grateful that this thread exists :)

My SSHRC Results came out on May 4th last year. It was quite the adventure, everyone seemed to hear about their results on different days. Some people were posting about theirs on like May 2nd whereas I was one of the last to know (rejected... sadly) on May 4th. 

Hopefully they figure out the Extranet a bit better this year! Fingers crossed!

In other news, did anyone here apply for Vanier? Apparently results could come any day now...