SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

11 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

My supervisor said they hadn't heard anything yet and sent an email to the department head to get more information. I also saw the tweet from SSHRC saying we would get results end of April, hopefully that means Friday but who knows -_-

All this about no other departments knowing is really messing with my head. I want to email my advisor to clarify and ask her to fess up but... blargh 

14 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

My supervisor said they hadn't heard anything yet and sent an email to the department head to get more information. I also saw the tweet from SSHRC saying we would get results end of April, hopefully that means Friday but who knows -_-

SSHRC tweets/state's that every year, and it's rarely been true for everyone (I think I've found out from SSHRC first week of May for the past 4 years myself, unless my uni occasionally had sent me an email first, though every uni is different).

But happy to try and be more optimistic with everyone ha : ) 

2 hours ago, GradSkewlHopeful said:

Is it naively hopeful that a year into covid and the new extranet system that they'd have their stuff together enough to be a little more timely? You're probably right that we won't be seeing anything come in until the end of this week / early next week, but you never know! 

I think it is pretty timely actually - when they sent the acceptance letters out physically, they were mailed at the end of April.  So it could take a week or two depending on where in the country you are.  Yes, they said results will be available in April, but in recent history it has rarely been before the very end of April, like the 30th.

22 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

I think it is pretty timely actually - when they sent the acceptance letters out physically, they were mailed at the end of April.  So it could take a week or two depending on where in the country you are.  Yes, they said results will be available in April, but in recent history it has rarely been before the very end of April, like the 30th.

Wasn't trying to start a debate lol. Considering last year was the first and only time they've distributed results electronically, and many mentioned that the result of that was somewhat messy, I was merely trying to suggest that it's possible that they've had time to streamline the process of releasing the results, and that they might do so a few days sooner in April, as their Twitter page was somewhat vague about it. Like you said, in other years the letters were dated in April even if it took longer for some to receive them physically than others, so overall we are probably comparing very minor differences here, if any. Good luck to you

Edited by GradSkewlHopeful

On 4/24/2021 at 12:52 PM, frances1642 said:

I think it'll be Tuesday or Wednesday! But I'd be happy if it was Monday!

Side note, is anyone else in the UK at the moment?? I've applied for SSHRC and an AHRC scholarship and waiting for both at the same time is killing me. 

I am in the UK (in Sheffield also!). Did not apply for AHRC. Good luck to you on both.

16 hours ago, NewPhDStudent said:

I just heard from my supervisor, she said our department hasn't heard anything from SSHRC yet.

best wishes to everyone!

So did my supervisor actually make a mistake and she doesn't know? *sad face* The struggle is real

Edited by Generic_Applicant

29 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

So did my supervisor actually make a mistake and she doesn't know? *sad face* The struggle is real

I think it depends what your supervisor said? Lots of supervisors just go with the assumption we won't get SSHRC because it's such a crapshoot. If your supervisor was like "you didn't get SSHRC this year" that's very different than "well when you apply for SSHRC next year" 

59 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

My supervisor spoke to the head of our department who said they haven't heard anything yet. It is definitely possible that some schools know now and others don't but that does seem strange. I agree with TurnLeft that it depends on what she said to you about it. It would be odd to me if she said "you didn't get it" and then said she made a mistake about that because I am not sure how that happens? I am not sure of your relationship with her, but it may be worth asking her to clarify?

5 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

My supervisor spoke to the head of our department who said they haven't heard anything yet. It is definitely possible that some schools know now and others don't but that does seem strange. I agree with TurnLeft that it depends on what she said to you about it. It would be odd to me if she said "you didn't get it" and then said she made a mistake about that because I am not sure how that happens? I am not sure of your relationship with her, but it may be worth asking her to clarify?

Yeah, so she was filling out a form for me, like a grad progress form, and she wrote in it that "[student] didn't get SSHRC this year and we are waiting to hear from FRQSC".. and when I asked her she was like "oops, my mistake. I removed the sentence". 

I want to ask but it feels daunting to go through "oh can you clarify what happened there", especially now that I responded to her and look like I've moved on. Dont get me wrong, I am more than willing to dig it back up if needed lol and perhaps that's what I should do to put this to rest in me, but I'm just so confused by what happened ya know? :S

17 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Yeah, so she was filling out a form for me, like a grad progress form, and she wrote in it that "[student] didn't get SSHRC this year and we are waiting to hear from FRQSC".. and when I asked her she was like "oops, my mistake. I removed the sentence". 

I want to ask but it feels daunting to go through "oh can you clarify what happened there", especially now that I responded to her and look like I've moved on. Dont get me wrong, I am more than willing to dig it back up if needed lol and perhaps that's what I should do to put this to rest in me, but I'm just so confused by what happened ya know? :S

Hmmm I think based on what you described, it could have been what TurnLeft said about just assuming you didn't get it because SSHRC is so ridiculous, but also that comment is sort of ambiguous so it's hard to say ? it does seem weird that some schools would know before others though. Unless maybe your supervisor has some kinda special connection to people at SSHRC and heard from them? Idk, it's a mystery 

34 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Given that no other departments seem to have results at this time (based on this thread anyway), I wonder if she just misspoke? Like maybe she was thinking you didn't have SSHRC for this current year of your program, not that you were not selected for funding for the next academic year.

I would directly ask her just to put your mind at ease (but then again, I've always had pretty informal and relatively close relationships with my supervisors/mentors so I get it if you're not comfortable straight up asking). You could, alternatively, bring it up indirectly under the guise of something else, e.g., "So I still haven't received my official rejection from SSHRC but based on what you mentioned about me not getting SSHRC, I was thinking of doing XYZ over the spring and summer in order to improve my application for next year. What do you think of this plan?"

I'm still rooting for you to get it and for this entire thing to be a big misunderstanding.

Just now, seeveeargh said:

Given that no other departments seem to have results at this time (based on this thread anyway), I wonder if she just misspoke? Like maybe she was thinking you didn't have SSHRC for this current year of your program, not that you were not selected for funding for the next academic year.

I would directly ask her just to put your mind at ease (but then again, I've always had pretty informal and relatively close relationships with my supervisors/mentors so I get it if you're not comfortable straight up asking). You could, alternatively, bring it up indirectly under the guise of something else, e.g., "So I still haven't received my official rejection from SSHRC but based on what you mentioned about me not getting SSHRC, I was thinking of doing XYZ over the spring and summer in order to improve my application for next year. What do you think of this plan?"

I'm still rooting for you to get it and for this entire thing to be a big misunderstanding.

Thank you so much, both you and NewPhDStudent. Yeah, I guess there is no way to really know unless I ask or I wait. Those are pretty much my two options, everything else is conjecture. I guess I'll just go back to doing my daily work and just wait (with the uneasiness in the back of my mind). 

Back to having fingers crossed I guess!

1 hour ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Thank you so much, both you and NewPhDStudent. Yeah, I guess there is no way to really know unless I ask or I wait. Those are pretty much my two options, everything else is conjecture. I guess I'll just go back to doing my daily work and just wait (with the uneasiness in the back of my mind). 

Back to having fingers crossed I guess!

While the uncertainty is not comfortable, it could also very well be that your supervisor was working with a draft of something they had written last year (if this isn't your first rodeo for a grad progess form) and genuinely hadn't realized the mistake. There is hope for you yet! I honestly feel that no one knows yet for sure. SSHRC, keeping its secrets close to the vest...

I was really hoping that today might be the day the extranet access emails went out, and even though I have received a MILLION emails today, not a one has been from SSHRC ? 

12 minutes ago, idontwanttothinkaboutthis said:

While the uncertainty is not comfortable, it could also very well be that your supervisor was working with a draft of something they had written last year (if this isn't your first rodeo for a grad progess form) and genuinely hadn't realized the mistake. There is hope for you yet! I honestly feel that no one knows yet for sure. SSHRC, keeping its secrets close to the vest...

I was really hoping that today might be the day the extranet access emails went out, and even though I have received a MILLION emails today, not a one has been from SSHRC ? 

definitely a correlation between the more I anticipate an important email, the more absolute junk and spam I receive.  

Although I am checking this a little too frequently, I'm going to expect nothing until Monday, May 3rd, and be pleasantly surprised if I get any results sooner. Under promise and over deliver is my motto.

Yet, I will let y'all know the second I get any results! :) stay sane my friends

I got an email from our grad secretary about something so took the chance to ask her and no, my department hasn't heard anything so in case anyone else was on pins and needles like me lol, it was genuinely a mistake on my supervisor's part and no departments (from what we know so far) have the results yet!

23 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

I got an email from our grad secretary about something so took the chance to ask her and no, my department hasn't heard anything so in case anyone else was on pins and needles like me lol, it was genuinely a mistake on my supervisor's part and no departments (from what we know so far) have the results yet!

You should tell your advisor that she/he caused a global widespread panic in the online SSHRC community :D
We should demand responsibility lol