SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

2 minutes ago, cpigeon said:

Am I the only one wondering how these scores are so high with no success?  Have things changed this year?

Maybe SSHRC finally realized that the scores they were giving seemed meaningless to people when most people think in percentages? I have no idea!

Rejected with 14.57 from 2B(? History).  Wahhhhhh ??!!!!!  I'm bummed.

For those that haven't heard yet, it is already much faster than last year, so it is likely imminent. Once I changed the password, it took a few minutes for the page to load.  So likely everyone is trying to get in at once, a good reason to stagger the emails a bit.

And, there were slightly less applicants this year over last year, 2396 for 1028 awards.  Congrats to those that receive an award, a big achievement!

Edited by JHSinclair

3 minutes ago, JHSinclair said:

Rejected with 14.57 from 2B(? History).  Wahhhhhh ??!!!!!  I'm bummed.

For those that haven't heard yet, it is already much faster than last year, so it is likely imminent.  

And, there were slightly more applicants this year over last year, 2396 for 1028 awards.

Isnt that approximately 1 in 2 odds of getting it...? Or am I crazy.. seems high

23 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

For those who received extranet emails already: Did the come from the same fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca address as the last "SSHRC Doctoral Awards Results" heart-attack email in early April? Thanks so much!

yes.  And it is a different extranet site than last year.

40 minutes ago, cpigeon said:

Am I the only one wondering how these scores are so high with no success?  Have things changed this year?

In the doc they mentioned that they considered the circumstances surrounding COVID-19. Maybe most people got a bump in their score for that?

I haven't gotten any emails about anything... concerning... is anyone else in the same boat? I tried following a link from someone in my cohort who just got access to results but when I followed it and entered my email to recover my password, it just said I didn't have any extranet account associated with my email.

1 minute ago, chopper.wife said:

I haven't gotten any emails about anything... concerning... is anyone else in the same boat? I tried following a link from someone in my cohort who just got access to results but when I followed it and entered my email to recover my password, it just said I didn't have any extranet account associated with my email.

It happened to me last year, and I did exactly what you did and got exactly what you got. Later (like in 2 or 3 days, I dont exactly remmeber), I received an email with the link and everything

2 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

I haven't gotten the extranet email yet either. 

1 minute ago, chopper.wife said:

I haven't gotten any emails about anything, either. The roll-out took a week (maybe more?) last year, so I wouldn't worry over not receiving an email until Monday passes. I recognize this is not comforting, sorry. 

1 minute ago, kahou said:

It happened to me last year, and I did exactly what you did and got exactly what you got. Later (like in 2 or 3 days, I dont exactly remmeber), I received an email with the link and everything

well that is NOT what I wanted to hear hahahahaha I am a mess

1 hour ago, jsmoker said:

I received my results tonight: accepted in Committee 2 (philosophy/religious studies) with a 15.23. I'm an external applicant at a UK school. 

I'm sorry to hear about those who have a higher score than me and didn't get anything, though. I suppose it really does depend on how many awards are given in each committee group?

So we know in committee 2 then that the cut-off is somewhere around 15, since I was rejected with 14.75 (also a UK applicant)

1 minute ago, Splendid Isolation said:

Hi all, just rejected with a 16.28/20, no waitlist. Sociology committee three. Oof. These are head scratching numbers this year. Congrats to anyone who found their way in. 

I'm so sorry, better luck next year. Not only are these scores arbitrary to us, but to the awards committee, too? Gradschool24, in socio, scored a fellowship with 15.93. 

3 minutes ago, Splendid Isolation said:

Hi all, just rejected with a 16.28/20, no waitlist. Sociology committee three. Oof. These are head scratching numbers this year. Congrats to anyone who found their way in. 

WOW.  Headscratching indeed!  Not even a waitlist with that super-high number?  And with the other sociology applicant with a lower score - might want to appeal that

Just now, JHSinclair said:

WOW.  Headscratching indeed!  Not even a waitlist with that super-high number?  And with the other sociology applicant with a lower score - might want to appeal that

Yah it's a baffling day for sure. Big congrats to my fellow sociologist though, 15.93 is a very high score too! The only explanation I can think of is that I am in my second year phd so perhaps they try to balance out fellowships across the years (most 2/3 year phd students would get higher scores anyway based on having done more research, conferences etc.). So maybe the awards are not based on the score only, but making sure that there is even balance of 1/2/3/4 year winners. God only knows, I really am curious though.