SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

On 4/29/2021 at 8:42 AM, MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec said:

Incredible that there are so many of us, just even among this forum. Very curious to hear what they say. My guess is that they will convert our awards into regular Doctoral Awards, but for the four years instead of the three envisioned by the CGS-D ones. 

@MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec@asdf1123@roxy31512 Have any of you heard back if the CGS-D will be converted to the regular SSHRC fellowship? 

7 minutes ago, maverick__ said:

@MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec@asdf1123@roxy31512 Have any of you heard back if the CGS-D will be converted to the regular SSHRC fellowship? 

I have not. Not yet anyway. I recieved an auto reply email that said it would take 10 business days to get back to me.

Just now, MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec said:

I have not. Not yet anyway. I recieved an auto reply email that said it would take 10 business days to get back to me.

Thanks for your message @MuchSynergyWowSoIntersec

Whoa! That is a long time to wait for a response. When I sent the email, the auto-reply said there would be a 4 business day turnaround. So hopefully that means I'll find out tomorrow, I'll definitely post an update if I hear anything. 

5 hours ago, maverick__ said:

I have! I received an email today saying that they're converting my award to the SSHRC doctoral fellowship. They didn't tell me if I get it for 4 years instead of 3 though, just said i'll find out on extranet soon (and didn't specify how soon) 

1 hour ago, asdf1123 said:

I have! I received an email today saying that they're converting my award to the SSHRC doctoral fellowship. They didn't tell me if I get it for 4 years instead of 3 though, just said i'll find out on extranet soon (and didn't specify how soon) 

@asdf1123 That's awesome! Thank you for sharing. It will definitely help me sleep tonight. Congratulations! 

7 minutes ago, maverick__ said:

@asdf1123 That's awesome! Thank you for sharing. It will definitely help me sleep tonight. Congratulations! 

Congrats to you too!!

9 hours ago, maverick__ said:

I got a reply on May 3 in a very vague and non-direct way saying that the award is being changed to the correct one (I think). The extranet docs haven't been changed yet.

2 hours ago, roxy31512 said:

I got a reply on May 3 in a very vague and non-direct way saying that the award is being changed to the correct one (I think). The extranet docs haven't been changed yet.

Question for those of you attending foreign universities yet offered the CGS-D (and congratulations!) -- are you all entering or applying in the first year of your program? I am in second year at my UK university and was offered 3 year SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship with a score of 17.69, so am curious about how those offered were determined. I checked last year's successful applicant list and the CGSD list does in fact show recipients at several American and UK universities!

Second question, if you are funded by your university, do you anticipate any clawback on that? I haven't found out yet about whether I can keep my full stipend, but I have heard that some schools set a cap amount for additional scholarships. Which makes sense...?

Rejected yet again, have one more shot. Direct applicant, US university, submitted to Committee 2 and received a score of 12.15. Two conference presentations, one publication as translator, 6 months of archival experience in Latin American archives from my MA and internal award-funded research trips during my PhD coursework, etc... etc... 

I might be somewhat bitter (I've made earlier posts commenting on the absolute paucity of award winning projects about Africa or Latin America from all committees) but there must be a geographic bias to the selection process. SSHRC has posted the selection committee members for previous years, and for both 2018 and 2019, out of a total 23 different reviewers on committees 2A and 2B (where my application goes as a historian), none of the reviewers studied Africa or Latin America. 20 out of 23 do Canada/Western Europe, and 3 do East/South/Southeast Asia. I suppose if you count the scholar of Ancient Christianity whose work occasionally touches Coptic texts or the scholar of Ancient Rome whose work occasionally encounters Ptolemaic Egypt, then sure, Africa is "represented." But otherwise, I can't imagine that a selection committee whose geographic interests are so confined would be able to judge the merits of projects outside of that limited range (e.g. three whole other continents).

Edited by CanadianPhDinUSA
Typo, clarification

On 4/30/2021 at 1:32 PM, socphd20 said:

I've sent an email to inquire so will let you know if I hear back! My understanding is that it is based on scores per committee. It seems to me that it would undermine the scoring process if at the end of the day it's at the discretion of the committee. I am sure there is some explanation! 

Hi socphd20, i just got a response from SSHRC about why lower scores in same committee/program get awards over higher ones. Warning: this might be boring to many!

So it might be common knowledge to others, but they explained that within committees are sub-committees (I was in 3A for example). Each sub-committee is assessed in isolation and 42.92% of applications in each subcommittee are successful. Therefore, someone can get a higher score in 3A (like in my case) than someone in the same program in 3B, but the lower score gets the award if they are in the top 42.92 % of their subcommittee. In my case they said that 3A were given a total of 65 awards (from 152 applications), and I came 76th. The "waitlist" would then be determined within each sub-committee, so I would receive an award if 11 of those 65 bow out. Not holding my breath! 

Hope some of this is helpful to anyone else confused by scores.  Wishing everyone well, win or non-win! 

Cheers

15 hours ago, Snackerson said:

Question for those of you attending foreign universities yet offered the CGS-D (and congratulations!) -- are you all entering or applying in the first year of your program? I am in second year at my UK university and was offered 3 year SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship with a score of 17.69, so am curious about how those offered were determined. I checked last year's successful applicant list and the CGSD list does in fact show recipients at several American and UK universities!

Second question, if you are funded by your university, do you anticipate any clawback on that? I haven't found out yet about whether I can keep my full stipend, but I have heard that some schools set a cap amount for additional scholarships. Which makes sense...?

I am first year in my program at a US university, and my department substitutes external scholarship with a 12-month tenure for the entire annual stipend (summer funding included).... I get to keep about 3k then the rest will replace my internal funding dollar-for-dollar. On the bright side that releases me from some teaching responsibilities. Oh well, hope those of you in other unis have better luck on how much you can keep ;)

Edited by asdf1123
typo + added info

47 minutes ago, asdf1123 said:

I am first year in my program at a US university, and my department substitutes external scholarship with a 12-month tenure for the entire annual stipend (summer funding included).... I get to keep about 3k then the rest will replace my internal funding dollar-for-dollar. On the bright side that releases me from some teaching responsibilities. Oh well, hope those of you in other unis have better luck on how much you can keep ;)

@asdf1123 really? Wow.. i wonder what that means for the rest of us. What about your scholarship for this past year? 

10 hours ago, Splendid Isolation said:

Hi socphd20, i just got a response from SSHRC about why lower scores in same committee/program get awards over higher ones. Warning: this might be boring to many!

So it might be common knowledge to others, but they explained that within committees are sub-committees (I was in 3A for example). Each sub-committee is assessed in isolation and 42.92% of applications in each subcommittee are successful. Therefore, someone can get a higher score in 3A (like in my case) than someone in the same program in 3B, but the lower score gets the award if they are in the top 42.92 % of their subcommittee. In my case they said that 3A were given a total of 65 awards (from 152 applications), and I came 76th. The "waitlist" would then be determined within each sub-committee, so I would receive an award if 11 of those 65 bow out. Not holding my breath! 

Hope some of this is helpful to anyone else confused by scores.  Wishing everyone well, win or non-win! 

Cheers

Hello! Thanks for this. I just got the same response. I was also in 3a! It looks like our committee scored very high. Better luck next year! 

Edited by socphd20

6 hours ago, asdf1123 said:

Ouch!!! Thanks for sharing that info. I hope I can hang on to more than but if not, well, it's still a plus.

3 hours ago, socphd20 said:

Hello! Thanks for this. I just got the same response. I was also in 3a! It looks like our committee scored very high. Better luck next year! 

Thanks for this information @Splendid Isolation. Also, and I feel a bit embarrassed asking this, where do we find out which subcommittee our application was placed in? I know it was assessed by committee 3 but I've been looking for ages to find out which subcommittee... thanks in advance! 

9 hours ago, maverick__ said:

@asdf1123 really? Wow.. i wonder what that means for the rest of us. What about your scholarship for this past year? 

I don't have to return my stipend for this past year i guess. And I actually haven't told my dept yet because i'm a bit afraid of them cancelling my summer funding next month (plus this hasn't been finalized yet, i still don't know how long will the sshrc doctoral fellowship last, 3 yr or 4 yr etc.)

34 minutes ago, inthewake said:

Thanks for this information @Splendid Isolation. Also, and I feel a bit embarrassed asking this, where do we find out which subcommittee our application was placed in? I know it was assessed by committee 3 but I've been looking for ages to find out which subcommittee... thanks in advance! 

Hi @inthewake, if you email the address on the results letter and request a breakdown of your scores and committee they should send it to you. cheers 

Hello Everyone. I'm wondering if you know how I should notify the Council that I'm accepting my award. I have already emailed them but haven't heard back yet.

Edited by Jahoon

6 hours ago, asdf1123 said:

I don't have to return my stipend for this past year i guess. And I actually haven't told my dept yet because i'm a bit afraid of them cancelling my summer funding next month (plus this hasn't been finalized yet, i still don't know how long will the sshrc doctoral fellowship last, 3 yr or 4 yr etc.)

I'm currently at the end of my first year in the program, and I just found out the SSHRC funding is for 4 years 2021 through 2025. Hope this helps with your planning/processing. 

4 hours ago, Jahoon said:

Hello Everyone. I'm wondering if you know how I should notify the Council that I'm accepting my award. I have already emailed them but haven't heard back yet.

For everyone figuring out how to accept you may:

1. Open the result letter (it is one of four letters you would have received from SSHRC).

2. Scroll to its bottom to the link for Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide on the SSHRC - Scholarships and Fellowships (sshrc-crsh.gc.ca)

3. Open link and click on through to the guide - NSERC – Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide (nserc-crsng.gc.ca)

4. Click on acceptance or decline of award. For SSHRC, you need to email appropriate program contact - scholarshipsadministration@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

5. What you need to send in the email (apart from file number) is listed under acceptance or decline of award.

6. Once you email them, you'll get an automated response from SSHRC. Mine said they will write back in 10 days.

PS: Your institution may have other documents for you to fill in. Mine got to fill in a first installment form.

19 hours ago, inthewake said:

I think you have to email them to ask?? I'm not positive though... 

Thanks to you both! I emailed them yesterday and was sent the breakdown of my score this morning. Sadly the scores given by each committee member differed a lot (not enough to exceed a discrepancy of 2.5 points) so at least I know now. Also, I was in committee 3D.

Good luck to everyone who's thinking of reapplying in the fall!!

A note to any future SSHRC-hopefuls who are direct applicants and browsing this thread for information about the process:

I just found out from my new grad studies department that my name came on the list of SSHRC recipients for the university. So it does appear that even direct applicants could ask their departments/grad studies offices about the SSHRC results in cases where SSHRC is slow to upload results or there are technical errors. (Of course, departments/universities are not supposed to share results with applicants before they hear from SSHRC but in cases where it's been over a week since most people heard back, I think it's fair game to start writing polite inquiries to grad studies administrators/supervisors.)

I just wanted to mention this as when I posed the question upthread, it seemed like the consensus was that direct applicants can only find out from SSHRC as their results were not shared with universities.

3 hours ago, ovidius-naso said:

Anyone else still waiting to hear back? I've lost any hope that it will be positive at this point, I just want it to be over 

Have you checked with your department? It really seems like everyone (at least on this thread) has heard at this point